ITV website - videos not working

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
iain_j

ITV website - videos not working

Post by iain_j »

On my LM13 Cinnamon / Firefox 14.0.1 system I can't play any of the "features" videos on http://www.itv.com/tourdefrance. I just get a blank black box where the video should be. The ITV Player works fine (http://www.itv.com/itvplayer) as do other video sites - BBC iplayer, youtube, etc. The site's not down, I can play the videos on my Android phone and on my mate's Windows laptop.

Suggestions please...? :?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: ITV website - videos not working

Post by Oscar799 »

I use Chromium or Chrome browser to watch ITVplayer videos - if one doesn't work the other one usually does
Both browsers are in Menu>Administration>Package Manager
Search for chromium-browser and google-chrome
iain_j

Post by iain_j »

No luck I'm afraid - I've installed Chromium (posting from it now) but still the same - black box where the video should be :(
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

iain_j wrote:can't play any of the "features" videos on http://www.itv.com/tourdefrance
FF 14.01 here, videos work fine. they require flash so it may not be properly installed in your browser, you should check about:plugins.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
iain_j

Post by iain_j »

I checked about:plugins and it reported I had Shockwave Flash 11.0 r1 installed. The Flash website told me version 11.2 was available, so I used apt-get install adobe-flashplugin to download it. Now about:plugins tells me I have both 11.2 r202 and 11.0 r1 installed. And the ITV videos still don't work :(

Code: Select all

Shockwave Flash

File: libflashplayer.so
    Version: 
    Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202

MIME Type 	Description 	Suffixes
application/x-shockwave-flash 	Shockwave Flash 	swf
application/futuresplash 	FutureSplash Player 	spl

Shockwave Flash

File: libflashplayer.so
    Version: 
    Shockwave Flash 11.0 r1

MIME Type 	Description 	Suffixes
application/x-shockwave-flash 	Shockwave Flash 	swf
application/futuresplash 	FutureSplash Player 	spl
iain_j

Post by iain_j »

Excuse a daft moment there - I realised I could disable the Flash 11.0 plugin. But it's made no difference.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Try restarting with add-ons disabled or create a new FF profile, otherwise no idea.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

I've just tried playing the Tour de France feature videos with Google Chrome version 20.0.1132.57 - it worked perfectly
The only extension I have added is Google translate - so a vanilla install of Google Chrome should do it
iain_j

Post by iain_j »

remoulder wrote:Try restarting with add-ons disabled or create a new FF profile, otherwise no idea.
Well then... I created a new profile in Firefox and the ITV site is working fine now. One by one I reinstalled the add-ons (all-in-one gestures & bookmarks menu) and it still works.

In fact I've just tried Chromium again and somehow that's working as well now.

It's working, but I don't understand why :? I'll keep an eye on it.

Return to “Sound”