how can i access files outside the linuxmint folder ?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
otrotipomas

how can i access files outside the linuxmint folder ?

Post by otrotipomas »

hi guys, Im just anotherguy trying out linuxmint. My question is really similar to other thread, but since there is no answer yet, I might as well post this here.

The big question is:

is there a way to access the files on the same partition as linux mint ?

In my case, in windows 7 I got 2 partitions in the same hardrive. Let's call them C and D.

I got windows in C and linux mint on D. From windows i can acces both C and D. But from linux I can only see C and the files inside mint.

But, is there a way so access the other files on D (outside mint folder)?

or maybe, is C both partitions ? In that case, what's the name of the folder with D files ?

It would it be easier If I install mint in C ? in that case, would I have access to D files ?

Another question: The fans of my laptop have been on for a while. I got a nvidia graphic card with optimus tech.
Is this a sign of a problem with my graphic card ? Or im being a little too paranoid ?

has linux mint already sorted out that problem ? Or i got to install something like bumblebee ?

mmm, i guess my question is : how can i know if there's a problem or not ?

Thank you ! !
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oobetimer

Re: how can i access files outside the linuxmint folder ?

Post by oobetimer »

Basically this way:

Open terminal and run command sudo blkid, which tells the media. The C-drive is /dev/sda2 (probably in win 7) and /dev/sda1 is a hidden boot partition. When you have figured out what is a D partition (eg. sda3), you can make a mount point to /etc/fstab file and make a folder to that point.

An example:
sudo blkid
sudo mkdir /mnt/D
gksudo pluma /etc/fstab

...add this line and save and quit
/dev/sda3 /mnt/D ntfs-3g user,auto,utf8,umask=000 0 0

sudo mount -a
Now the drive D should be seen on the mount point /mnt/D
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

In my case, in windows 7 I got 2 partitions in the same hardrive. Let's call them C and D.
I got windows in C and linux mint on D. From windows i can acces both C and D. But from linux I can only see C and the files inside mint.
The partition you installed Mint into ( Drive D ) is already mounted at:

Code: Select all

/host
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide/
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

altair4 wrote:
The partition you installed Mint into ( Drive D ) is already mounted at:

Code: Select all

/host
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide/
D and E seems to be located on /media on my mint4win installation. C is under /host

My /etc/fstab

wubi@mint4win ~ $ cat /etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
/host/linuxmint/disks/root.disk / ext4 loop,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/host/linuxmint/disks/swap.disk none swap loop,sw 0 0
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

oobetimer wrote:D and E seems to be located on /media on my mint4win installation. C is under /host
Because that's where you installed Mint.
otrotipomas wrote:In my case, in windows 7 I got 2 partitions in the same hardrive. Let's call them C and D.
I interpreted that to mean the mint4win installer set Mint in D and is therefore the /host directory.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Installation & Boot”