Linux Mint Software Manager not working!!!!!

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Xk0nSid

Linux Mint Software Manager not working!!!!!

Post by Xk0nSid »

I recently installed linux mint 12 kde on my system. Everything is working perfectly fine except software manager. When I launch software manager it shows the splash screen, the windows loads and after around 2 seconds it just closes. Can anybody help please!!!!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Linux Mint Software Manager not working!!!!!

Post by viking777 »

You will need to run the command

Code: Select all

mintinstall
or if that doesn't work then

sudo mintinstall
In a terminal and post the error messages here.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

@viking777, wasn't there an issue with mintinstall in the 12 KDE release that was fixed by updates?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
bluekayak

Post by bluekayak »

Hi,

I've used Linux Mint 11 for a while, but never had any issues until now. I don't know much about Linux, so please bear with me.

I also have a broken Software Manger on Mint 11 with both Gnome and Xfce. My computer is an older Toshiba laptop, model A10-S129. I just noticed the problem yesterday (7/22/2012), and the Software Manager was working a few days earlier. As suggested, I entered "mintinstall" followed by "sudo mintinstall" and received a "Segmentation fault" both times. After restarting the computer, there was no change.

Does this will impact the Update Manager?

If I try to run the Package Manger, I am asked for my password, then a box appears near the center of the monitor for a second saying "No package is selected."

I don't think this is related, but before noticing the Software Manager was not working, I tried very hard to delete the History from Opera. Finally, after trying multiple times using "Settings" "Preferences" "Advanced" "Clear" and "Empty Now" I cleared the History and removed all Opera related Cookies.

Here is the output from "mintinstall" followed by "sudo mintinstall"

## 1. entered "mintinstall" at the terminal #####

jerry@jerry-Satellite-A10 ~ $ mintinstall
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:250: SyntaxWarning: import * only allowed at module level
def get_status_description(self, transaction):
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:258: SyntaxWarning: import * only allowed at module level
def get_role_description(self, transaction):
add_categories took 6.682 ms
build_matched_packages took 0.444 ms
Segmentation fault
jerry@jerry-Satellite-A10 ~ $ ^C
jerry@jerry-Satellite-A10 ~ $

### Restarted the computer, but the Software Manager did not work.

### 2. If that does not work try: sudo mintinstall #####

jerry@jerry-Satellite-A10 ~ $ sudo mintinstall
[sudo] password for jerry:
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:250: SyntaxWarning: import * only allowed at module level
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:258: SyntaxWarning: import * only allowed at module level
add_categories took 3.829 ms
build_matched_packages took 4.603 ms
Segmentation fault
jerry@jerry-Satellite-A10 ~ $

### Restarted the computer again but the Software Manager did not work.

Thanks,

Jerry
Ohnemichel

Post by Ohnemichel »

@Xk0nSid: This is a bitwidth issue. The Software manager doesn't work on 64 Bit Installations. (As far as I found out. I don't know if the program itself is defective in 64Bit mode (improbable) or just not designed to fetch 64bit packages properly (more likely) ) Use Package Manager instead.
(However, I mainly saw it failing when I started to install a package).
Xk0nSid

Post by Xk0nSid »

Hey I ran the "sudo mintinstall" following showed up:

/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:252: SyntaxWarning: import * only allowed at module level
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:260: SyntaxWarning: import * only allowed at module level
add_categories took 27.988 ms
build_matched_packages took 0.312 ms
add_packages took 2058.714 ms
add_reviews took 0.086 ms

(mintinstall.py:2427): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_set_qdata: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
__init__ took 2743.183 ms
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:1137: GtkWarning: Theme directory scalable/animations/small/16x16 of theme Mint-KDE has no size field

if theme.has_icon(cat.icon):
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:1137: GtkWarning: Theme directory scalable/animations/small/22x22 of theme Mint-KDE has no size field

if theme.has_icon(cat.icon):
show_category took 463.908 ms
Segmentation fault
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Ohnemichel says that the software manager doesn't run on 64 bit and use the package manager instead. Personally I never use anything else, it is way superior imho. So that is one option. Remoulder says there was an issue with software manager on KDE which was cured by updates, I don't know anything about this as I don't use KDE, but what I would suggest is that first you check that you are fully updated either from the package manager or command line

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Also I will move this topic into the KDE forum for you where it might get more attention from people who know KDE. Maybe have a read or search through the KDE part of the forum to see if you can find out about this problem.
Rudemeister

Post by Rudemeister »

I tried everything in Mint 12 KDE. But I just installed 13 KDE. Now it not only looks better, but the Software Manager works.

:D

Return to “Software & Applications”