LMDE Gnome 3 default behavior?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
globetrotterdk

LMDE Gnome 3 default behavior?

Post by globetrotterdk »

I would like to install LMDE on my new netbook, but would like the default GNOME 3 behavior as the Gnome developers intended, without the Mint menu, Cinnamon, MATE, etc. Is that possible?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: LMDE Gnome 3 default behavior?

Post by viking777 »

Yes that is possible, but you will have to add it to the Mate version after install.

Once the mate version is installed just go into the package manager and install gnome-shell then choose that at boot up. If you want to you can then remove Mate or leave it in place in case you ever get any faults with gnome-shell that cause it to not boot. (Two of everything on a computer is a good idea).

If you are new to LMDE be sure to have a read through zerozero's LMDE Faq:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=197&t=91405

It might even deal with the very question you ask I am not sure.
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

OK, thanks. I read the LMDE faq as well as the LMDE stable faq. So, installing the gnome-shell installs a complete Gnome 3 environment? There may some issues with driver support, as I would be installing LMDE on my new Acer Aspire One 725 netbook. Will drivers be available in LMDE as default or will I need to find a backport kernel that I can install? I believe the computer has what is called an AMD Brazero chipset with an AMD C-60 1 GHz processor (AMD A50M), AMD Radeon HD 6290 (1366 x 768), Broadcom BCM43228 [14e4:4359], and an Elantech touchpad.
Last edited by globetrotterdk on Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator
Sonsum

Post by Sonsum »

globetrotterdk wrote:OK, thanks. I read the LMDE faq as well as the LMDE stable faq. So, installing the gnome-shell installs a complete Gnome 3 environment? There may some issues with driver support, as I would be installing LMDE on my new Acer Aspire One 725 netbook. Will drivers be available in LMDE as default or will I need to find a backport kernel that I can install? I believe the computer has what is called an AMD Brazero chipset with an AMD C-60 1 GHz processor (AMD A50M), AMD Radeon HD 6290 (1366 x 768), Broadcom BCM43228 [14e4:4359], and an Elantech touchpad.
Installing the "gnome" metapackage will install all of gnome. Since I didn't want all the games and stuff, "Gnome-shell" worked perfectly for me.

And as far as I can tell, we should be able to iron out the problems (if any) that your netbook would have with LMDE.

Here's an Ubuntu guide. It's not exactly your netbook or Debian, but it gives me hope that your components should be fine. Unfortunately, I've never dealt with AMD or NVIDIA drivers before, so I cannot be of assistance with that.
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

I tried booting with an LMDE system from an external CD/DVD drive. The wireless didn't work and for some reason, the touchpad is disabled. I have to press Fn - F7 to get the touchpad to work. Is there a new LMDE respin expected soon? I imagine that there are a lot of updates waiting with the current LMDE install.
Sonsum

Post by Sonsum »

globetrotterdk wrote:I tried booting with an LMDE system from an external CD/DVD drive. The wireless didn't work and for some reason, the touchpad is disabled. I have to press Fn - F7 to get the touchpad to work. Is there a new LMDE respin expected soon? I imagine that there are a lot of updates waiting with the current LMDE install.
If you look around, there are a lot of posts asking that question. There is one coming soon, but there's no saying when. There are a lot of big upgrades (the biggest probably being the gnome 3 upgrade) which complicates things.

If you want to try and solve your wireless issues now, however, you could try installing the driver for your wireless card following these instructions:

http://wiki.debian.org/wl/#Wheezy

Return to “LMDE Archive”