Linux Mint 13 Xfce released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 13 Xfce released!

Post by clem »

The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 13 Xfce. Linux Mint 13 Xfce New features at a glance: Xfce 4.10 mintMenu and MATE applets MDM Artwork improvements Search engines For a complete overview and to see screenshots of the new features, visit: “What’s new in Linux Mint 13 Xfce“. Important info: [...]
Announcement: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2088
squeezy

Re: Linux Mint 13 Xfce released!

Post by squeezy »

What is the apt source for the Xfce 4.10 repo? I don't see an Xfce packages in the Maya repo so I assume there's a separate source for it.
psychogenik

delete

Post by psychogenik »

delete
Last edited by psychogenik on Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DisableAnimation

Post by DisableAnimation »

Disappointing.

I just tried XFCE because I absolutely do not have the patience for fluff. Animation is fluff and I hate it. I moved to XFCE because every new window manager tries this stupid animation and I was hoping XFCE is old school. Wrong.

Every time I drag a window and the top edge hits the top of the desktop, the window resizes on its own. I don't understand why it does this because there are controls built-in for these fluff stuff. Why? Why make it annoying? Why is it ON by default? Why? Because it's cool? Really?

Frustrated, I tried to find a way to disable the dang thing. Nope. No where. Can't do it. I gave it 15 min. I give up.

Linux Mint XFCE is going the way of GNOME. An annoying window manager.
mebtoo

Post by mebtoo »

I used Li Li,live linux, to get it on the USB & the perameters for the mint Isadora 9 were used to create the persistence file.
It is working right now, with my changes intact after restart. Using 32 xfce from 7/21/12 still on the usb. I usually use Universal Installer or Unetbootin
but they were not doing the persistence. I am using it on an old 2002 i386, Pent.4, Dell, 1 GB + 256 MB RAM.
I've also tried the KDE & Mate vers. & like them both too.
I can see the point about "less is more" tho'.
this ole dinosaur dell just can't move as fast as the new HP in the other room.

Also I should mention the Li Li installer was udated just recently, to do the Netrunner 4.2
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

I installed it today and will play with it for a bit before I decide how much I like it or not. I also installed the lxde packages so I can compare sessions. :wink:
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

Installed, no problem
Adjusted preferences, no problems
Installed NVIDIA propitiatory drivers, no problems
Ran basic programs (GIMP, Firefox, etc) no problems
Only thing to say, thanks.
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

After first trying the RC release on both my desk- and laptop, I installed this release on the laptop, which previously ran LM 12 LXDE.

My first impressions of Mint 13 Xfce pretty much echo Monkeyboy's. There were no problems with the install and updates; no problem installing and running programs, no problems with sound. Yes, it works "out of the box" -- even my Linux unfriendly Kodak AiO printer works! :shock: However, booting and shutting down is noticeably slower than with LXDE, and the overall performance also seems sluggish in comparison, but it is not a deal breaker. This Mint Xfce distro is a good one that I can certainly live with. :)
mintuser

Post by mintuser »

I'm liking this release so far. I switched from MATE because the system was occasionally failing to boot to desktop (due to what I assume is a race condition of some kind). The interface is clean and simple, and does everything I want it to do, although I'm finding that some things are certainly different from MATE or GNOME (the Task Manager, for example, is quite different from the more familiar System Monitor).

The only real issue I'm having is a minor, but irritating one: the default color for desktop fonts is black, which makes it very difficult to see against most desktop backgrounds. You can change the font family and size under Appearance, and just the size under Desktop Settings, but you can't change the color anywhere, and it doesn't change automatically when you switch to a different theme. There's a solution here, but it involves manually editing your gtkrc files, which seems like a hack-ish approach for a user-friendly distribution; you'd think there'd be a simple gui or menu somewhere to adjust.
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

Correction: After comparing Xfce and LXDE again, I can detect no noticeable differences in booting, shutting down, loading apps, etc. Perhaps my observation above was skewed by what I initially perceived but not actually observed? :oops: LM 13 Xfce is certainly quick enough for me. :D
edwardr

Post by edwardr »

Thanks Clem and team! I've installed it on my laptop (Dell Inspiron 1721) and love it. I still have a bit of configuring to do before I have it all personalized, but hopefully by tomorrow night.

Suspend works, woo hoo! (It hasn't worked since Mint 8, not Mint's fault, it was the kernel)
Bluetooth works!
My BCM4311 wireless card did not work at first, but Google helped me fix it.
The mute button was not unmuting, but Google again helped fix it.
I added some opacity behind the desktop icon labels so that the labels could be read against dark backgrounds.

I'm saving the heavy lifting for tonight, automounting some partitions, linking to my data directories, and importing my email into evolution.

Thanks again, I got two years of solid use out of Mint 9 Xfce and am looking forward to 5 years from Mint 13 Xfce!
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

3fRI wrote:Correction: After comparing Xfce and LXDE again, I can detect no noticeable differences in booting, shutting down, loading apps, etc. Perhaps my observation above was skewed by what I initially perceived but not actually observed? :oops: LM 13 Xfce is certainly quick enough for me. :D
Good to hear. I was wondering about what you said, as my Mint 13 Xfce installation does a complete shutdown in 10 seconds. :D
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
lkraemer

Post by lkraemer »

Clem,
THANKS to you and your team for the continual progress, and puching out the releases on the centers they are on...............................................

But, I'm wondering if some of the BUGS could be looked at in the Launchpad area for the 201204 LMDE Version? I've noticed that there is little progress on three BUG
Reports that I've submitted in Launchpad. (Information was also posted on the LM Forum.)

Launchpad #1010955 Bbletime Crashes in Linux Mint 201204 LMDE
Launchpad #1010962 ERROR when I click Desktop /Home Icon
Launchpad #1016268 LMDE 201204 - Thunar not display thumbnail of Photo's

One of these could be easily resolved by updating Thunar to 1.4.0 (Same version as the Latest LM XFCE version 13).
I've posted a workaround so I can still use LMDE. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 0&t=105795

The second BUG is still present on LM XFCE Ver 13 where an ERROR message gets displayed, but I can go ahead and view my subdirectory, even though the
Error Message gives the warning. I've posted on the forum, and in Launchpad about this BUG. It's easy to duplicate, but might be hard to fix.........
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 9&t=104398
Launchpad #1010962 ERROR when I click Desktop /Home Icon

I've read postings about Bibletime & Xiphios having problems with the Kernels 3.x and that is the reason they crash. Is that being worked? I really prefer
these two software packages over any other Bible software.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 0&t=104404
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 0&t=105599
Launchpad #1010955 Bbletime Crashes in Linux Mint 201204 LMDE

I've also discovered that there are no settings available for the Synaptics Touchpad in XFCE 4.8. I've installed gpointing-device-settings, but those settings
aren't persistent, because that package isn't the latest version. It works fine for the latest gpointing version, and also works fine in XFCE 4.10 because the SETTINGS
Menu now included Synaptic Touchpad. I've tested Distro's that have the latest and it works. I've also posted a workaround for that problem on the LM Forum.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ng#p606682

By updating the 201204 LMDE version's gpointing-device-settings to the latest version the Synaptics Touchpad settings will be PERSISTENT. Easy Fix!

I'm not whining, I've just noticed that even with the Launchpad submissions, and postings on the LM Forum, there appears to be little progress on the BUGS
that still exist in LM XFCE ver 13, and I'm wondering why? Do you have folks that scour the Forum & Launchpad to get a feel for what needs further research/update?

There seems to be a lack of Updates published for LMDE.................

Ideas/Suggestions?

One other quick item from the LiveDVD XFCE 13 System. When I open Thunar, and move my cursor to the Top Right Corner, or the Lower Right Corner, of
the Window, I have about a 4 Pixel width area to grab the corner. But, if I move my Cursor to the center of the Right Vertical Side of the Window, I have a
ONE PIXEL Width Grab area. I know there is a World Wide Shortage of Pixels, and you guru's have to save all you can, but isn't this a bit tight. Maybe you
could spare the chumps using LM an extra pixel (or two) for their systems.

Thanks.

Larry
cjwelborn

Post by cjwelborn »

I love it! I had been running Linux Mint 9 XFCE Edition on this old pc of mine, and decided to try the newest one. I love it, I can't believe its running on this machine so well, but it is. I got the 'dconf' error while installing, and did a workaround. Xorg didn't pickup my VIdeo Card, so I manually configured. Other than that, everything worked fine, and after those little fixes it continues to work perfectly. Thank you for making these editions, I hope you never stop. I had said before that Linux Mint 9 gave my old pc new life, well Linux Mint 13 has given it even NEWER LIFE! I am using this old thing to do some of my developing, and running some older versions of stuff had been bothering me a little, but now I don't have to worry as much. Thanks again, -Cj
sobakasu

Post by sobakasu »

Just a quick question: is Mint4Win included in this release again? :)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

As you can see on the download page, the Windows installer (mint4win) is not included with either KDE or Xfce editions: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
opm595

Post by opm595 »

Just brilliant! I've been wanting to replace Ubuntu 10.04LTS on my laptop and wasn't all that comfortable with making the to move to Ubuntu 12.04 with Unity. So after a bit of research and reading several positive reviews thought I'd give it a run, and I'm glad I did. Installed, migrated my files, done a bit of tweaking, and personalised a few things to my liking, and all working brilliantly in no time at all . . . . perfect, Five Stars!
sobakasu

Post by sobakasu »

xenopeek wrote:As you can see on the download page, the Windows installer (mint4win) is not included with either KDE or Xfce editions: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
Oh my, I somehow managed to never notice the column for the windows installer on the overview page! I always checked the specific release notes for each version everytime and couldn't find anything about it this time... thanks for the heads up!

What a pity, so no Maya for me! Oh well... :)
lradio

Post by lradio »

:D Thank you Clem, team and supporting user community!!!!! :D

Fast, stable, small and efficient. And a wonderful application suite that a novice linux user needs to do ordinary things and begin learning linux as a development platform. For fun.

Mint 13 xfce is running on a early Dell netbook with 1gb mem. Although its old and has some broken case parts, it runs this distro just fine. Oh what fun !

I am honored to be a part of the Mint community and I am making a $$ donation.

Thanks to all,

lradio
CapitalG

Post by CapitalG »

im loving this version of LM! :D

fast, stable, looks great!

what else could you want.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”