Update Pack 5 release date? [Released Sept 17, 2012]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Inoki

Re: Update Pack 5 release date?

Post by Inoki »

cmost wrote:@ Inokie

Have you looked at Sabayon? I actually ran the same installation of Sabayon for three years before I jumped ship to LMDE! Sabayon continued to update without breakage. My only issue with Sabayon was the fact that Gnome 3 updates kept messing up my KDE / GTK integration. In hindsight, a relatively minor gripe. If you want a rock solid Linux distro and you can't hack LMDE because of the way Debian handles releases, then by all means check it out. It's not very productive to sit here and b*tch and moan because LMDE and Mint isn't doing things the way you want. Sorry dude.
To casual sheep this is moaning, to users, who are fully aware of the problematic this is just another alarm for developers to have a look at LMDE and consider updating it more often.
LMNewb

Post by LMNewb »

Inoki wrote:
zerozero wrote:
My LastPass stopped to work
LastPass version? FF version? other addons installed when that happened?
FF12 here (default), LastPass 1.90.6 (the latest FF apparently provides me) and no issues whatsoever.
When I tried to install Google Chrome, I had Flash player issues
Flash version installed in the system? Chrome version?

have you ever considered to bring each of those issues to the forum, one by one, in appropriate topics?
I'm not using FF, I dumped that thing since version 3. I'm using Chromium build 17, LastPass 2.0.8 stopped working all of a sudden. Chrome I tried to install latest from Google's website .deb package for Debian, mint-flashplugin-11 is installed on system. Should I perhaps try to install Chrome with flashplayer-nonfree?
Just my experience: I also decided to install Google Chrome. I'm now running Chrome 20.xxx, no problems. Oddly, it's reporting that it's running Flash Player 11.3! I thought Adobe said that they were phasing out support for Linux, and weren't going to make any major or minor builds of Flash past 11.2 for Linux. Bizarre...

Also, FYI, It should be noted that Adobe said that they will still release 11.2.xxx builds, for security patches.
Sonsum

Post by Sonsum »

LMNewb wrote:
Just my experience: I also decided to install Google Chrome. I'm now running Chrome 20.xxx, no problems. Oddly, it's reporting that it's running Flash Player 11.3! I thought Adobe said that they were phasing out support for Linux, and weren't going to make any major or minor builds of Flash past 11.2 for Linux. Bizarre...

Also, FYI, It should be noted that Adobe said that they will still release 11.2.xxx builds, for security patches.
Google is maintaining Flash for Chrome on Linux, while Adobe has dropped it.
LMNewb

Post by LMNewb »

Sonsum wrote:
LMNewb wrote:

Was there an announcement that I missed? It's bizarre that Google would be granted access to the codebase for the closed-source Flash Player.
Sonsum

Post by Sonsum »

LMNewb wrote:
Sonsum wrote:
LMNewb wrote:

Was there an announcement that I missed? It's bizarre that Google would be granted access to the codebase for the closed-source Flash Player.
http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2012 ... linux.html
LMNewb

Post by LMNewb »

Wow! That's great news! Thanks for the link, Sonsum!
Inoki

Post by Inoki »

Using Google Chrome now, everything seems to be fine. What I like especially when installing certain apps like Chrome from Google is it automatically adds itself to your list of repos for updates. This could be a handy feature for all future apps for LMDE as well.
Inoki

Post by Inoki »

Ok, Flash causing real issues. Most of the times, either videos or sounds on the web are played in fast forward mode, can't play them in normal speed. Any fix maybe, anyone?
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

You should probably break this off into its own topic.
ketoth

Post by ketoth »

Inoki wrote:Using Google Chrome now, everything seems to be fine. What I like especially when installing certain apps like Chrome from Google is it automatically adds itself to your list of repos for updates. This could be a handy feature for all future apps for LMDE as well.
Apps messing up the sources.list that's not less than a Windows behavior: any app, autoupdate, opaque binaries from many third-parties, multisourced version conflicts, more messed up dependencies..
Remember that Chrome is closed source and does contain fingerprinting technology to trace your activity and report it back to Google. And with Google's repos added and unpinned, they can theoretically install anything they want on your pc through "updating" the app you wanted. An extreme solution that I wouldn't recommend for the ones who aren't happy of Chromium 17, or LMDE's update pack releases :) Better trust an open community for providing binaries and source code.

To get closer to the main subject: as you can imagine when UP5 will be released it will be quite a chaos (very slow download speed, even server downtime). So I'm coming back with my BitTorrent idea (providing repository mirror maintainers with the full update pack in a torrent, then a "touch-script" clearing the modtimes to ensure rsync won't redownload all the mess). Now is a good time to test it, and now is also a good time to build a repository mirror, especially if you want to be from the "incoming" testers. Contact me if you need more information :wink:
jan_goyvaerts

Post by jan_goyvaerts »

To come back to the original question - is UP5 due anytime soon ? I'm asking because I'm about to move to full Debian due to the broken NVidea twinview problem. The whole thing crashes each time I'm going into character mode when Twinview is enabled. And thus also when shutting down. Which - to my knowledge - is unique. UP3 didn't do that. And neither does any other Linux distro.

The whole chabang freezes each time I'm forgetting to disable the second screen before shutting down. Which is pretty often... :-(

The only option I have is to hard reset the machine with the risk of losing data and corrupting the file systems.
Inoki

Post by Inoki »

I certainly hope we're getting UP5 very soon. I've found, that the issues I had on my system with browsers e.g. Chromium were really caused by outdated software. What didn't work with Chromium v17 worked flawlessly with Google's version 20 with just Flash issues.

I've tested all the browsers and have to stick with Firefox 'till we get an update, because of outdated software I'm having problems working with what I preferred.

Really sad......
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Inoki wrote: I've tested all the browsers and have to stick with Firefox 'till we get an update, because of outdated software I'm having problems working with what I preferred.

Really sad......

Whaouuuuhhhhh that's a terrible problem... :shock:

:lol: more seriously, I don't see why you have problems with "out dated soft". I have not upgraded anything since the UP4, and everything is working fine...
IMHO you tried to upgrade something and it went wrong somewhere ;)
Inoki

Post by Inoki »

killer de bug wrote:
Inoki wrote: I've tested all the browsers and have to stick with Firefox 'till we get an update, because of outdated software I'm having problems working with what I preferred.

Really sad......

Whaouuuuhhhhh that's a terrible problem... :shock:

:lol: more seriously, I don't see why you have problems with "out dated soft". I have not upgraded anything since the UP4, and everything is working fine...
IMHO you tried to upgrade something and it went wrong somewhere ;)
Then compare e.g. Chromium 17 with Google Chrome 20 and you'll notice the difference, how many addons stop to work. Autoscroll with the middle mouse didn't work with v17, with v20 yer, LastPass stopped working, HyperTranslate e.g., all of them very useful plugins but for a casual user who doesn't use addons everything runs smooth of course.

Anyway, looking forward to an updated LMDE.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

jan_goyvaerts wrote:To come back to the original question - is UP5 due anytime soon ? I'm asking because I'm about to move to full Debian due to the broken NVidea twinview problem. The whole thing crashes each time I'm going into character mode when Twinview is enabled. And thus also when shutting down. Which - to my knowledge - is unique. UP3 didn't do that. And neither does any other Linux distro.

The whole chabang freezes each time I'm forgetting to disable the second screen before shutting down. Which is pretty often... :-(

The only option I have is to hard reset the machine with the risk of losing data and corrupting the file systems.
I would suggest you ditch the nvidia drivers provided by the repository and just use the official drivers supplied by nvidia. I've found the latest version is creamy smooth on my system versus prior versions. :D

Here's a thread with the full instructions (also includes how to upgrade your kernel to the latest and greatest as well.)

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 9&t=106951
Dual Intel Xeon 3.6 GHz, 24 Cores
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
jan_goyvaerts

Post by jan_goyvaerts »

I can try that of course - but it's something all distro's do automatically these days...
Sonsum

Post by Sonsum »

jan_goyvaerts wrote:I can try that of course - but it's something all distro's do automatically these days...
I don't believe this is a true statement (even ignoring the hyperbole). I've never had a dedicated card so I can't speak from experience, but I'm pretty sure most operating systems require a manual driver installation, due to the closed-sourciness of the official drivers.

Either way, LMDE isn't going to do it automatically. cmost appears to have an excellent solution.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

clem wrote: As for UP5 it's coming. The archive was prepared earlier this week. Many things changed in Mint 13 though package-wise so we'll need to update all that as well in LMDE and the mirroring of UP4 was a catastrophe so we'll want to redefine our relationship with our mirrors and how they sync with us before opening up UP5. Depending on how it's designed this might or might not delay it going towards incoming though.
here
jan_goyvaerts

Post by jan_goyvaerts »

NICE ! Many thanks indeed to the LMDE crew ! :-)
vierseisoenekind

Post by vierseisoenekind »

Many thanks from my side too. I am so looking forward to this release.

Return to “LMDE Archive”