How to uninstall?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
h2z

How to uninstall?

Post by h2z »

Ok so I know how to remove an application that was installed via deb package manager and via the synaptic manager but how do I remove an application that was "installed" by means of compiling?? :?:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Re: How to uninstall?

Post by Zwopper »

cisforcojo wrote:A suggestion?
Install 'checkinstall'

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install checkinstall
What 'checkinstall' does is make a .deb file from the source code and then install from that. SO, when you want to remove it, you can use Synaptic and not worry about all this hassle. If you install from source code, if you don't still have the source code folder you installed from, your chances are pretty slim of actually finding and erasing everything it installed.

Using checkinstall, you'll NEVER want to type 'make install' again, instead you'd type 'sudo checkinstall'
An install from source will look like this:

./configure
make 
sudo checkinstall
This is so good it should be on the wiki!
It works like magic!
I LIKE IT!
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
itoffshore

Re: How to uninstall?

Post by itoffshore »

The latest version of checkinstall 1.6.1 will fail to mkdir on Elyssa - you can fix this bug with:

sudo checkinstall --fstrans=no

Return to “Beginner Questions”