LM 13 kde won't boot after install and initial updates

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

LM 13 kde won't boot after install and initial updates

Post by arjay »

I d/l the 32 bit iso, burned to dvd and booted up. All went fine - Live dvd worked OOB for everything I tried. Only problem - it set the monitors to 1024 rather than 1280. (I have two monitors) - later corrected by installing prop. nvidia drivers.

I installed to a HDD and, again everything worked OOB. I noted that updates was showing 316 updates available (now showing 334). I installed all updates using software manager. This appeared to go fine and it showed a reboot required. I rebooted and that's when the trouble started. The system would boot almost to the last stages of the desktop. But, as it showed the panel icons, one by one, the system just about froze. Date, and network manager icon were there but not the usual volume, clipboard, or notifications icons.

Clicking on the menu, for example, took 30 seconds to open and a browser over a minute. But, dragging an open window, moved as fast as normally. Then, after a few of these examples, it all gave up the ghost, requiring switching off and back on again. I rebooted a couple of times but the same thing happened.

I did a complete re-install and also I installed the prop. nvidia drivers to get TwinView for two monitors which nouveau doesn't appear to do. Other than that, all was the same with the second install. Again everything worked OOB.

I then updated using synaptic and the above problems were repeated exactly. Unfortunately, the boot menu options don't give an option to boot to an earlier kernel - either is never does, or the update did not include a kernel update. So I could not try another kernel if there was one. I tried the other menu options and poked around a bit but no go.

I installed again a third time and am now running without any of the updates. I can't bear to just repeat my previous experiences yet again without a different plan!!

Anyone help with a more organised diagnostic?

Cheers - RJ
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lord_Eager

Re: LM 13 kde won't boot after install and initial updates

Post by Lord_Eager »

You should check one by one the updates, and find the one which gives you problems... On my net with KDE 13 it gives similar problem when i try to switch composite to Xrender then switch back to OpenL, it start to freeze and CPU loads almost at 100% , i am now running Xrender surely not a best choiche but it works... You could try to disable any desktop effect and to enable xrender in the place of openGL in the advance panel of Desktop Effects window... and retry to make the updates...
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Re: LM 13 kde won't boot after install and initial updates

Post by arjay »

Lord_Eager wrote:You should check one by one the updates, and find the one which gives you problems... On my net with KDE 13 it gives similar problem when i try to switch composite to Xrender then switch back to OpenL, it start to freeze and CPU loads almost at 100% , i am now running Xrender surely not a best choiche but it works... You could try to disable any desktop effect and to enable xrender in the place of openGL in the advance panel of Desktop Effects window... and retry to make the updates...
Thanks for the advice. I'll try updating in small blocks. Very tiresome as there are over 300 updates. Will the KDE team not be updating the iso I wonder?

Also i have downloaded lmde kde and will give that a try.

Return to “Software & Applications”