My Debian Saga

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

My Debian Saga

Post by KBD47 »

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
munin

Re: My Debian Saga

Post by munin »

Hi KBD 47. I read your blog, and I have had some of the same problems as you. But some years ago I had Debian Etch installed as dual boot with Win XP, and installation from DVD was very easy. So I thought I would give Squeeze another try. To be absolutely sure the installation medium was perfect I bought it on a USB drive, and the installation was fast and easy. My wireless was recognized, and internet connection in order. Then I tried both browsers, and they were so slow they were useless. The problem could probably have been fixed, but I did not bother, and reinstalled Mint Mate. If I ever find a Linux or Unix OS that is nearly as good as Mate, I will have a dualboot, but until then I will manage very fine with Mate, the unmessed up version of Ubuntu. :mrgreen:
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Munin, The guided Debian install only sets up swap size as equal to your computer's RAM, which is not great if you don't have a lot of RAM, and will definitely slow down your computer and cause web pages to go slow and freeze. I had to go back and resize the Debian partition and add more swap.
You definitely appreciate the easier installers and user friendly distros after installing Debian :-)
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

I've never tried installing Debian to an external hard drive, and I haven't tried KDE in Debian, but...

Not sure what happened when you say the installer "croaked." I haven't had anything like that happen with any of my Debian installations. That goes back to "Etch" (4.0), and includes three Debian 6 installations (one was GNOME, from a CD, the other two were Xfce from Unetbootin flash drives).

I also have had no problems (yet) with Debian's grub overwriting the MBR.

I'll agree that there are easier ways to get a Debian system installed than by going with "straight" Debian. But the first time I tried installing Debian, I thought to myself, "This was easier than I expected it would be... I wish I hadn't waited so long to try it!"

If I want a quick and easy installation, I choose another distro. But when I have a little more time, I install Debian. It hasn't been all that painful. I estimate that it takes about twice as long as installing something like Ubuntu, plus additional time for setting things up to my tastes.
I don't believe Debian is meant for the desktop computer user, not vanilla Debian. It is well suited for servers, but for your everyday desktop computer user, and especially for those new to Linux--Debian is probably not for you.
I've been happily using Debian on the desktop for over 5 years now. Not sure how many fresh installations I've done, but I'm guessing something like 7 or 8. "Straight" Debian might not be the best option for those new to Linux, but after I'd done a few other Linux installations, it wasn't too difficult for me to get Debian installed and running. I don't see any reason why Debian should not be "meant for the desktop computer user." But I guess it depends on the user.

I've chosen to do fresh installations rather than upgrade to the next release each time. Just the way I like to do it. But for each release I've tried so far, the extra time it takes to install (compared to other distros) has been well worth it. Each time, I know I'm getting two or more years of problem-free, worry-free desktop use.

Anyway... just offering another point of view...
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

MALsPa, glad to hear you've had no difficulties installing Debian. I think once it's installed and running it is one of the best Linux distributions available. I do know that my difficulties with installing Debian are not unique. I think what frustrates me the most is when other distributions with smaller teams can put together distributions that are easier to install it seems to me that Debian could have a way to get those who are new to Linux up and running with Debian in an easier fashion. But then again, if they did so there would be little need for so many other Linux distributions :-)
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

KBD47 wrote:I think what frustrates me the most is when other distributions with smaller teams can put together distributions that are easier to install it seems to me that Debian could have a way to get those who are new to Linux up and running with Debian in an easier fashion.
I wonder about this, too. For example, it seems to me that Fedora is easier to install than Debian. And you mentioned how you have to fish around to a bit to find the Debian .iso to download, while other distros have a link on the main page, in plain view.

Also, I noted that in my first year with Linux, I made no attempt to install Debian. You're more adventurous!
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

MALsPa, I think if Debian had an easier installer and a bit more accessible main web page it would be in the top two Linux distributions at Distrowatch and among desktop users. Also would be great if, like Ubuntu, it had a single package of restricted extras, or non-free extras that could be installed instead of having to hunt down codecs and the flash installer and microsoft fonts installer. It is probably sort of amazing that it is so popular right now without having easy access to drivers and those other things.

Return to “Chat about Linux”