PulseAudio Volume Control problem(s)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
UUUnicorn

PulseAudio Volume Control problem(s)

Post by UUUnicorn »

Please, I hope that I'm not posting this in the wrong location.

Some additional information here: I'm using Linux Mint 13 Xfce "Maya" on an Asus Eee PC 1201N-PU17-SL. This netbook has NVIDIA Ion graphics card.
I have activated the Additional Driver "NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (version-current) [Recommended]".

After the most recent update as of this morning, I have NO sound. I tried going into PulseAudio Volume Control (which is version 0.99.2-1build1 in Linux Mint 13 Xfce), and I can no longer access any of the controls. I get this:

"Establishing connection to PulseAudio. Please wait..."

The latest version of PulseAudio Volume Control is 2.0, but I hesitate trying to update it myself. Could someone who works with the PPAs and/or repository/-ies please be informed? I would very, VERY much appreciate this; thank you.

Sincerely,

UUUnicorn
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: PulseAudio Volume Control problem(s)

Post by viking777 »

The first thing anyone would need to know is what it was you upgraded this morning. The answer is in /var/log/apt/history.log probably the last entry unless you upgraded more than once today. Post that information here and lets see if anything in there has anything to do with sound.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

The same thing happened to me. Apparently it is a problem with a Mint-specific codec package. I solved it by installing ubuntu-restricted-extras from Synaptic. It uninstalled the Mint codecs and installed the codecs that are installed when you do an Ubuntu installation. Sound works again.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
UUUnicorn

Post by UUUnicorn »

I have just fixed it by installing gnome-alsamixer, then opening the software and unmuting ev'rything.

I wonder if I should uninstall PulseAudio Volume Control--basically, this very old, buggy version seems detrimental and useless!

EDIT: When I start watching a Youtube video, two seconds after I've started the video and it starts loading, it freezes and stays that way for around 20 seconds or so.
Sometimes, a small windows pops up with "Kill pages" and "Wait" buttons from which to choose.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator

Return to “Sound”