LMDE is really hard to love

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
telenux
Level 3
Level 3

Re: LMDE is really hard to love

Post by telenux »

After checking out Maya (Mint 13), it's really polished and you can tell where Mint's priorites lie. All their resources are on the main edition and LMDE is just an afterthought. There's not even any mention of there being a LMDE IRC channel.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

telenux wrote: All their resources are on the main edition and LMDE is just an afterthought. There's not even any mention of there being a LMDE IRC channel.
That was said since the beginning of the Debian Edition, so... No big surprise here. It's working fine, an UP5 is coming... why are people so angry ? :?

And there is a LMDE IRC channel. Its name is Linuxmint-debian...
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

telenux wrote:After checking out Maya (Mint 13), it's really polished and you can tell where Mint's priorites lie.
Well, it's probably because it's easier to polish something based on Ubuntu than something based on a frozen Debian Testing snapshot.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

I think there is a lot of frustration over LMDE because it hasn't lived up to expectations, perhaps some unreasonable expectations. But in all fairness, Debian itself requires more of users, it doesn't come with codecs, flash, or an easy installer. LMDE makes Debian more user friendly.
My personal issues with LMDE have been regarding the update process. You can stay with Latest sources and be frozen in limbo, perhaps with a solid spin, perhaps with a buggy one, without updates for months. You can roll the dice with Testing sources and likely break things in LMDE which I've done with more than one install. Or you can go with Sid/Unstable and get a true rolling release.
My present approach to LMDE is to quit trying to hold the Mint tweaks and desktops together and use the LMDE installer and codecs to get back to the Debian mothership. I use a 'pure' desktop, installing another desktop onto LMDE and either removing or ignoring the default LMDE desktop with its themes and tweaks. I either use a LMDE spin released close to the current Stable and set to Squeeze sources, or more lately use the recent LMDE spins and frozen Wheezy sources to setup the upcoming New Stable. I expect my next experiment will be to go with pure Sid sources.
LMDE is a great way to learn about Debian. It can be a nice introduction to Debian, but it is not Main Mint and never will be. Would I do things the way they are currently being done with LMDE? No. I would do two releases, one LMDE Stable, one LMDE Sid both with default desktops in the Debian repositories like KDE so there would be less chance of breaking. I would use a minimal of Mint tweaks and branding that would be unlikely to get removed or broken with Debian updates. But it's not my call.
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

KBD47 wrote:My personal issues with LMDE have been regarding the update process. You can stay with Latest sources and be frozen in limbo, perhaps with a solid spin, perhaps with a buggy one, without updates for months.
One thing that would help, and has been pointed out previously, would be to update the documentation. Many people see the original blurb on the LMDE page about regular updates and get confused since that is no longer the case. Explaining the UP system up front and consistently would help.
KBD47 wrote:I would do two releases, one LMDE Stable, one LMDE Sid both with default desktops in the Debian repositories like KDE so there would be less chance of breaking. I would use a minimal of Mint tweaks and branding that would be unlikely to get removed or broken with Debian updates. But it's not my call.
That is how I make my LMDE installs. I start with a clean console-only install of Debian then add the few essential Mint packages that add branding, usually debian-system-adjustments, mintsystem and some artwork/themeing. From there on out the rest is pure Debian straight from the repos.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Everything was clearly said since the beginning...
We’re not “switching base”, we’ll continue to use Ubuntu on most of our systems. This Debian-based project will produce an additional system (to start with), it’s something we want to try, and if it proves successful, it’s something we’ll continue to maintain.
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1467

And
I’d like everyone to be patient with this project. A lot of things are happening indeed, but as I said before, the other editions take priority over this and until it gets the release and success it certainly deserves, we’re still considering it an R&D project.
So, maybe people who want something changing faster should use... Debian. :roll:
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Ouuuuppppsssssssssss Firefox and Thunderbird... are upgraded....

Where are the angry people ? :mrgreen:
whirly

Post by whirly »

update pack 5 problem free today
ftw
i'm lovin it
DaComboMan

Post by DaComboMan »

Where do you get Pack 5 ?

Oh, i suppose it'll show up soon.

Don't like the Chrome tabs on Thunderbird 15...
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

DaComboMan wrote:Where do you get Pack 5 ?
Details here...http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 7&t=109005

Return to “LMDE Archive”