Cannot get Conky Lua themes to work

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Cannot get Conky Lua themes to work

Post by cmost »

Okay, I'm hitting a brick wall here. I'm running the latest LMDE fully up to date. I've installed Conky-all from the repositories and its dependencies. I cannot for the life of me get any of the fancy lua type conky scripts to display. I've followed numerous tutorials to the letter, but cannot figure this one out. I'd really love to get the 'Infinity' theme (here: http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... ent=151516) or the 'conky grey' theme (here: http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... ent=137272) to work but all I get is a black (or sometimes white) box as shown in the screenshot. I have nvidia graphics and Cinnamon desktop. Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dual Intel Xeon 3.6 GHz, 24 Cores
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
zerozero

Re: Cannot get Conky Lua themes to work

Post by zerozero »

the conky you have on the right side of the screen is been called from where?
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

@zerozero

The Conky script I have on the right (it's just the clock) is called 'revolutionary clock'. The script is stored in ~/.Conky I call the script like this:

Code: Select all

/home/cmost/.Conky/revolutionary_clock/start_conky.sh
These were per the installation instructions. The start_conky.sh script essentially calls Conky with this command:

conky -c $HOME/.Conky/revolutionary_clock/conkyrc
The revolutionary clock conky script is irrelevant in my opinion because I cannot call Lua conky scripts even if the clock conky script is disabled; it's ~/.Conky directory is deleted, etc. I don't think this script is interfering but perhaps you know something I don't know about conky. :-)
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

cmost,
it's been awhile since i hacked some conky (i try to avoid it because it's really addictive and i end up spending days on it :lol: ) but:
- you have in that shoot 3 instances of conky running: the revolutionary clock (on the top right), some other conky on the right just bellow the conky-clock (with 4 lua graphics) and the legacy conky script on the top left that afaik gets loaded if you don't have a home/ .conkyrc

- i usually never face this issue because always put my conky scripts in home, named as .conkyrc (or if and when i use more than one script .conkyrc1 and so on);
- then you can have the lua script(s) in a home/scripts folder (optional) and call the script from within conky;

this is a bit vague (sorry about that) but i'm typing from memory, later with lmde in from of me i can give you more precise instructions.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

@ zerozero

Just to clarify, the items below the clock on the upper right are screenlets. Also to clarify, I've tried running Lua conky scripts WITHOUT the clock script or screenlets running, to no avail.
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

oh my bad :shock: they really looked like lua graphics to me.
seeing the instructions at gnome.org for conky_grey
install conky_grey
copy files
- conkyrc_grey
- conky_grey.lua
in ~/.conky/
did you follow all this?
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

I followed the instructions to the letter. I've followed several tutorials for different Lua conky scripts, just to be sure. They simply won't work on my system. I just don't know why.
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

cmost,
i got it to work
but i'm using file manager doesn't handle the desktop, so there's one setting here that you have to tweak

own_window_type desktop
works for me but won't work if you have nautilus handling the desktop.

regarding the rest:
1- disable all the other;
2- create a .conky folder in home where you put conky_grey.lua
3- move conky_grey to home and rename it .conkyrc
that should do it.
matfx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by matfx »

Thanks zerozero, your little tweak does help to show up conky.
Linux Mint Ulyssa Cinnamon 20.1 64bit
Sector11

Post by Sector11 »

I'm curious if this got solved or not.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Sector11, it is solved for me but with the conditions mentioned in the my previous post.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

I haven't marked this solved because disabling Nautilus control of the desktop makes all the icons disappear, which is a show stopper for me (I'm sure others too.) Ultimately, we would get to have Lua themes AND icons on the desktop.
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100

Return to “LMDE Archive”