LMint 13 (Maya) XFCE support?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
netrionio

LMint 13 (Maya) XFCE support?

Post by netrionio »

LMint 13 (Maya) XFCE is a LTS Distribution?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
squeezy

Re: LMint 13 (Maya) XFCE support

Post by squeezy »

netrionio wrote:LMint 13 (Maya) XFCE is a LTS Distribution?
Yes. It's based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS so the Mint derivatives share the same 5 year support cycle.
netrionio

Re: LMint 13 (Maya) XFCE-RC observatoins and questions?

Post by netrionio »

wwwoowwww lightning speed answer! Thanks a lot! The other question is : Mint team instructs: To upgrade from the RC release, simply apply any level 1 and 2 updates (if any) available in the Update Manager. Ok I understand this but it wouldn't be better to reinstall?
squeezy

Re: LMint 13 (Maya) XFCE-RC observatoins and questions?

Post by squeezy »

Not quite as fast on this reply :lol:

The packages in the RC are usually very close to the final product. Doing an update is usually all it takes to get the final changes. You can reinstall if it makes you feel better though!
zerozero

Re: LMint 13 (Maya) XFCE support?

Post by zerozero »

[new questions deserve new topics, split from http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 0&t=106288 ]
guimaster

Post by guimaster »

Wow, Xubuntu only has 3 years of support for 12.04. Very good job Linux Mint!
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

guimaster wrote:Wow, Xubuntu only has 3 years of support for 12.04. Very good job Linux Mint!
I think the difference in support is that Mint Xfce is based on Ubuntu, not Xubuntu, so the Ubuntu security/package updates would remain available for the full 5 years.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
netrionio

Post by netrionio »

My question became a new topic! Thank you mod! I thought I could start a new topic when I did that question but I thought that it was not good. (I am a noob yet here I know)

So we have an ubuntu based distro which is fast (xfce), light, secure (linux itself), the edge of technology (latest packages) , rock solid stable and with 5 years support! What else to ask for? I think this is one of the best distributions ever and is close to perfect desktop. Linux Mint advantages deserves to be spread to everyone who uses pc or laptop.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

To clairify

Xubuntu probally will get the 'System' security fixes for the 5 years (system is Ubuntu)
But
they only promise their patches (the XFCE stuff mostly) for 3 years.

Not sure how mint's LTS will be but probally 5(system) XFCE components not sure?

J.Jay
guimaster

Post by guimaster »

netrionio wrote:My question became a new topic! Thank you mod! I thought I could start a new topic when I did that question but I thought that it was not good. (I am a noob yet here I know)

So we have an ubuntu based distro which is fast (xfce), light, secure (linux itself), the edge of technology (latest packages) , rock solid stable and with 5 years support! What else to ask for? I think this is one of the best distributions ever and is close to perfect desktop. Linux Mint advantages deserves to be spread to everyone who uses pc or laptop.
The only other thing you could ask for is a distro that is a "Rolling Distribution" which has 10 - 20 years of support, basically as long as your computer will live! Oh wait, you can get that with Mint Debian XFCE... :)
Beardedragon

Post by Beardedragon »

I would like to add a "Well Done." To Linux Mint for their vast impovement over Xubuntu 12.04. IMHO, this is a keeper.
guimaster

Post by guimaster »

Beardedragon wrote:I would like to add a "Well Done." To Linux Mint for their vast impovement over Xubuntu 12.04. IMHO, this is a keeper.
Xubuntu looks like an inferior desktop environment with that ugly blue look in Xubuntu. Mint XFCE looks like Gnome 2x / MATE. Very impressive work, especially to give 5 years of support when Xubuntu only gives 3.
impossiblescissors

Post by impossiblescissors »

Along similar lines, I'm trying to upgrade my Xubuntu to LM 13 XFCE, but I can't seem to find the XFCE 4.10 desktop in the ubuntu 12.04 or mint 13 repositories. Can anybody say where I can find it? Would it be the same version that's in the Debian Edition repositories? (mintdesktop-xfce)?
Beardedragon

Post by Beardedragon »

impossiblescissors wrote:Along similar lines, I'm trying to upgrade my Xubuntu to LM 13 XFCE, but I can't seem to find the XFCE 4.10 desktop in the ubuntu 12.04 or mint 13 repositories. Can anybody say where I can find it? Would it be the same version that's in the Debian Edition repositories? (mintdesktop-xfce)?
Search Synaptic under xfce.
defcon

Post by defcon »

impossiblescissors wrote:Along similar lines, I'm trying to upgrade my Xubuntu to LM 13 XFCE, but I can't seem to find the XFCE 4.10 desktop in the ubuntu 12.04 or mint 13 repositories. Can anybody say where I can find it? Would it be the same version that's in the Debian Edition repositories? (mintdesktop-xfce)?
In (x)ubuntu 12.04 you can only find Xfce 4.8. You can get Xfce 4.10 only from ppa, or you have to wait till (x)ubuntu12.10 is released :)

In LM13 Xfce also is installed from ppa, but it's disabled after installation.

Code: Select all

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/xubuntu-dev-xfce-4_10-precise.list
# deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/xubuntu-dev/xfce-4.10/ubuntu precise main
impossiblescissors

Thanks! I ended up iinstalling the PPA after running LM 13 XFCE from DVD+RW. So far I'm not noticing a big difference between 4.8 and 4.10. I'll definitely have to customize the interface since I'm used to doing things the Windows 7 way. But the beauty of XFCE is how easy it is to customize!
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Thanks! I ended up iinstalling the PPA after running LM 13 XFCE from DVD+RW.
The "ppa' is already in LMint 13 XFCE (the defaut DE is already 4.10) you don,t have to install ppa only activate (to recieve updates to to XFCE)

'can be done in Synaptic package manager (repositories in menu) REMEMBER TO RELOAD APT LIST :wink:
J.Jay
impossiblescissors

jjaythomas wrote:The "ppa' is already in LMint 13 XFCE (the defaut DE is already 4.10) you don,t have to install ppa only activate (to recieve updates to to XFCE)

'can be done in Synaptic package manager (repositories in menu) REMEMBER TO RELOAD APT LIST :wink:
J.Jay
I was updating Xubuntu 12.04 to LM13 XFCE. The PC in question has trouble booting from DVD, so it was easier to do the initial install from a Xubuntu (actually Mythbuntu) CD.

Return to “Xfce”