MIDI: I want to use Timidity, not Qsynth!

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
archtop

MIDI: I want to use Timidity, not Qsynth!

Post by archtop »

I have lots of MIDI type stuff I want to do (on Mint 13 Xfce), so I installed Timidity and a soundfont. Now I can play any MIDI file on the command line by doing this: "timidity examplefile.mid" and it plays the file perfectly, with all instruments playing. However, when I use a program (banshee, movie player, or others) to play a MIDI file, it plays the file but I only hear a few of the instruments playing.

I suspect (although I don't know for sure) that the programs are using Qsynth (which came with Mint 13) rather than Timidity. How can I disable Qsynth and enable Timidity as a default for these programs?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: MIDI: I want to use Timidity, not Qsynth!

Post by kyphi »

I do not have qsynth installed although it is in synaptic and my midi files play fine. Why don't you go into synaptic and remove it now that you have installed Timidity. You can also get some interfaces for Timidity by installing "timidity-interfaces-extra". If you type "timidity -ia" you will get the default gnome interface, "timidity -ig" for the GTK interface and "timidity -ik" for the TKM interface.

Timidity and pmidi are all you need. The command "man pmidi" gives you lots of information, for example try the command "pmidi -l" which will list all your midi ports. For further information, see the URL below:

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/MIDI-HOWTO.html#toc1
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Xfce”