The future of Gnome

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bimsebasse

Re: The future of Gnome

Post by bimsebasse »

LOL, it's starting faster than I imagined! But yeah Nautilus is the obvious first in line to be forked as a file manager is a cornerstone app of any OS and need to follow the same principles as the OS as a whole probably bit more than other apps. Wonder if this is based on Nautilus or elementary's Files.

Great name too following the "sea" theme (nautilus, marlin, dolphin) - with a Disney twist!
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Clem already gave some pointers in april about what could happen with gnome in mint in the near future:
Edit by Clem: You can actually install Cinnamon and run it without most of Gnome 3 or even Nautilus.. so technically we could make it more independent going forward, it just doesn’t really make sense right now to do so. Cinnamon handles the interface, the layer of the desktop you interact with.. except the background, desktop icons and the file browser which are handled by Nautilus. Going forward, it’s hard to say… it really depends on the direction taken by Gnome 3. At the moment Gnome 3 is a good base for Cinnamon and the resulting desktop is something we’re happy with. If tomorrow Gnome 3 lose critical features we need, or if they deviate in a way that only suits Gnome Shell we’d either use another desktop underneath Cinnamon, or we’d fork Gnome itself or we would make our own. Whatever happens we’ll always do what makes the most sense for us in terms of what we want to achieve and the quality we expect from the desktops we support/develop within Linux Mint.
back then i though it was wishful thinking but now with nemo and the removals of the dependencies on evolution, telepathy and folks it looks that the fork is in the move.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

It's a lot of work, though - Mint dev team already have several Mint editions bi-annually to prepare all the while maintaining Cinnamon and "co-maintaining" MATE. Maintaining a whole DE too, alone, those guys will have to sleep 2 hours a day max. Hope some form of cooperation and resource pooling between Ubuntu/elementary/pinguy/Mint can take place if that happens.
abnvolk

Post by abnvolk »

bimsebasse wrote:LOL, it's starting faster than I imagined! But yeah Nautilus is the obvious first in line to be forked as a file manager is a cornerstone app of any OS and need to follow the same principles as the OS as a whole probably bit more than other apps. Wonder if this is based on Nautilus or elementary's Files.

Great name too following the "sea" theme (nautilus, marlin, dolphin) - with a Disney twist!
Monsta wrote:https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo

OMG... did Clem fork Nautilus too? :shock:
(note the name - most probably a reference to Captain Nemo :))

Who knows, maybe wishes expressed in this thread will be granted someday :)
Yay! At least there one person who thinks Nemo is the cartoon fish, just like me! :lol:
Hope that we will have a good file manager in the near future, 'cause I've hated Nautilus already. But we have to be patient, right? :D
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

More on grandiose plans for so-called Gnome OS: http://afaikblog.wordpress.com/2012/08/07/gnome-os
tancrackers

Post by tancrackers »

The Gnome OS plans are absolutely absurd. Not even mac os x has 10% of the market share. Why would they think that they can get 20%?
I'm starting to worry more about gnome with every announcement...

Return to “Chat about Linux”