Software manager does not work most of the time - no errors

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NissanNut

Post by NissanNut »

Just did a clean upgrade to 13 (I was on 11). Using "Software manager" to install some more software. I have issues installing most choices. Some work but not on the first try. miniInstall 7.3.9. I have run update manager.

For example I had to click install on opera and filezilla 5 times before they installed. Skype will not install. None of the apps install cleanly.

Here is the issue. I click "install" I get 16% then nothing. Sometimes it works most of the time nothing happens. My android phone does the same thing. So I try again and again. And eventually software will install.

I am researching PPA options instead. But is there logs somewhere for mintInstall 7.3.9 to find out why it fails?

I am loving LinuxMint.

Thanks!!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Rudemeister

Re: Software manager does not work most of the time - no err

Post by Rudemeister »

I get the same exact thing. It works sometimes, but it didn't wok at all on Mint 12 KDE. Now I often use Synaptic as an alternative. It's not as eye pleasing, but it works great.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

NissanNut wrote:My android phone does the same thing
Both sound like connection issues perhaps?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
NissanNut

Post by NissanNut »

Yes synaptic works fine. It show "status" of installs and works. I just used for skype since software manager can not install Skype for some reason. Be nice if there was an error or log or something.

I am using Mate. Really like it, tried all other desktops. My kids (11 and 13) use this computer also. Trying to show them other than Windows.
NissanNut

Post by NissanNut »

remoulder wrote:
NissanNut wrote:My android phone does the same thing
Both sound like connection issues perhaps?
Not using WLAN for phone. That could be why phone is flaky also.

My PC is 6" from router. I can download fine with synaptic. Just software manager is flaky. Nice interface though. Just wish it worked.
Rudemeister

Post by Rudemeister »

It's not a connection problem with me either. I have a high bandwidth optical connection.
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

The only problem I have with Software manager is that it's slow and doesn't refresh when it's installed or uninstalled a program. The progress bars reach 100%, but no mention of completion, no changes in logos etc. I have to close out of SM and reload for the changes to show. But nothing like you lot have said.
NissanNut

Post by NissanNut »

HappyLinux wrote:The only problem I have with Software manager is that it's slow and doesn't refresh when it's installed or uninstalled a program. The progress bars reach 100%, but no mention of completion, no changes in logos etc. I have to close out of SM and reload for the changes to show. But nothing like you lot have said.
Yes that is basically what I get. Either no progess, or 16% then nothing. Icons never change. After reboot shows installed or install. I just keep trying once a day just in case it is slow.

So until the next update, I will find apps in software manager, try install, if it fails. I will just install with synpatics.
mingle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mingle »

I have exactly the same issue - Software Manager gets to 16% and then stops and no apps are installed.

It's not my connection - fast cable.

I've tried clean installs of Linux Mint 13 Xfce 64-bit and Mate 64-bit and get the same issue on both.

Cheers,

Mike.
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

My Software Manager has now, also started to not install anything. It reaches 16% and then nothing.

I tried installing 3 seperate programs, each one refused to install.
mingle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mingle »

Could it be related to the repository server or that some of the Software Manager components have been 'broken' by software upgrades?

Mike.
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

I think it's been broken by updates to Software Manager itself.

When I did a clean install, Software Manager worked fine. Then there's been a few updates to it since then. Now I'm noticing that it's not working.
mingle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mingle »

At least it's not just me <phew!>

Synaptic runs just fine, so I guess I can wait until Software manager is fixed.

Mike.
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

True
animaguy

Post by animaguy »

I always go:

sudo apt-get install <package>

by default. And if that works I may just for fun go:

sudo apt-get remove <package>

and then test to see if the Software Manager can do it.
Last edited by animaguy on Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
animaguy

Post by animaguy »

I don't personally trust the GUI by default. Installing And removing packages is thw best way to get comfortable with the terminal. If the GUI is unreliable, inconvenient and slower than the command line then the GUI is essentially useless.
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

Command Line, the boon of Linux. But in my case, something I'm still learning with. I go in this order; Software Manager, Synaptics and then Command Line.
mingle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mingle »

Another issue I have with the Software Manager program, is that when I select an application from the appropriate category it loads
the information page (showing a description of the program, along with a screenshot and various user reviews) very sloooowly and
you can't do anything until the page is fully loaded.

I'd consider myself a beginner-intermediate Linux and find Synaptic to be very good.

The only issue I have is that I sometimes find it confusing when lots of other stuff (libraries, etc) are installed as part of the main application I'm selecting.

Cheers,

Mike.
csmgj
Level 1
Level 1

Post by csmgj »

I've had that issue with 3 different laptops on which I installed Mint 13 (maya). You click install, it asks for your password, but then it's not installed. I try again and it does nothing. No errors. I can get sudo apt-get install, but super embarrasing when trying to show a friend how cool Linux is. Any chance this will be fixed soon?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

There are two known issues with Software Manager, which glebihan is fixing for Linux Mint 14 release and also backporting to Linux Mint 13 and LMDE.

The one issue is that the status of a package on its detail page in the Software Manager isn't updated as you install a package. That is, you click install and wait for it to complete. Once it completes, the status of the package is not changed and it looks like it hasn't been installed yet. The workaround is to go back to the overview page or search results, and from there click on the package again to again visit its detail page. The installed status will have been updated.

The other issue is that packages that require you to accept an EULA can't be installed with the Software Manager, as it doesn't know how to ask you questions while performing an installation. The workaround is to install the package with Synpatic (Package Manager), or from the terminal with:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install packagename
As shared, both issues will be fixed in the upcoming release of Software Manager. It should arrive next month.

Return to “Beginner Questions”