Leaving Mint due to stability issues

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Inoki

Leaving Mint due to stability issues

Post by Inoki »

Well guys, to make it short, I decided to abandon Mint at least until it comes to the wise decision of abandoning Ubuntu and moving to something stabler, like Debian stable instead.

Following Ubuntu's buggy pattern and being based on it made me realise it isn't really an option for me. It's just rebranded Ubuntu, and even though the updater prevents crashes due to it omitting kernel updates, every new release is still based on Ubuntu and therefore inhabits the kernel it uses as well, so what didn't work on Ubuntu for me naturally didn't work on Mint as well and I got tired of it.

My last resort was LMDE, which also crashed all of a sudden so I see no point in using Mint, unless the developers decide to either follow Debian stable or something else, or become independent.

Thanks though for all your time and effort put into this project. For some it works, for some not and generally an ideal operating system supports all the hardware. If Debian can do it, some others as well, or support most hardware and even older ones or discontinued ones, Mint could do as well.

Ubuntu simply has the bad habbit of blacklisting old hardware, making things that used to work stop working, which is the dumbest idea ever to cross a developers mind and I wonder how could someone possibly come to a conclusion like that and vote on such an idea to pass.
DrHu

Re: Leaving Mint due to stability issues

Post by DrHu »

Sorry 'bout that

I have been using LMDE 13x without many problems: certainly no crashes
Inoki

Post by Inoki »

Like I said, for some it works, for some not and I've had issues with Ubuntu from the beginning, the only reason I used Mint was, though based on Ubuntu, the great updater it has protecting you from kernel updates, which can break your system.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Sorry to hear your leaving.
Why not stick around and help mint get better?

at least with Linux you have choices.
Good Luck what ever you decide.
Last edited by kc1di on Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Inoki

Post by Inoki »

I won't name the distro I'm using to avoid advertising and go against the rules, but it's based on Debian stable and so far everything works. The Mint community is great and has always been helpful, so I'll hang out on the forums for news and such, but that's about it.
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

Inoki wrote:I won't name the distro I'm using to avoid advertising and go against the rules, but it's based on Debian stable and so far everything works. The Mint community is great and has always been helpful, so I'll hang out on the forums for news and such, but that's about it.
Again? Well enjoy the move I for one will enjoy it too. :D
Inoki

Post by Inoki »

monkeyboy wrote:
Inoki wrote:I won't name the distro I'm using to avoid advertising and go against the rules, but it's based on Debian stable and so far everything works. The Mint community is great and has always been helpful, so I'll hang out on the forums for news and such, but that's about it.
A typical Monkey. LMDE is based on Debian testing, while this one on Debian stable, if you haven't noticed the difference, which is quite a big one.
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

Inoki wrote:
monkeyboy wrote:
A typical Monkey. LMDE is based on Debian testing, while this one on Debian stable, if you haven't noticed the difference, which is quite a big one.
Leaving yet still trolling. :lol:
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

The last few posts are not going in the right direction. Inoki, as I think you shared what you wanted on this, I'm locking the topic. Thanks for your time with Linux Mint and good to read you will continue to enjoy Linux! See you around :wink:

Locked.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”