Gimp 2.8 / Babl / Gegl - Easy install script.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
trubosquid

Gimp 2.8 / Babl / Gegl - Easy install script.

Post by trubosquid »

Hi All,

For those who may be interested I've written a simple script that automates the whole process of compiling and installing GIMP 2.8.
It also creates DEB packages for BABL 0.1.10, GEGL 0.2.0 and GIMP 2.8 should you need to re-install them at a later date.

Today I updated the script and tidied up the code all seems to work well and its easy to use. It also now installs the Gimp icon in the
menu structure.

Here is a screen cap of Gimp 2.8 running on my LMDE box.

you can download my script from my website here:-

http://telesyn.net/?p=52

Please give feedback to help me improve things where I can :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trubosquid

Re: Gimp 2.8 / Babl / Gegl - Easy install script.

Post by trubosquid »

Hi all,

Just wandering if anyone has tried my Gimp 2.8 Installer? If so would love some feedback.

Thanks

Turbosquid - Telesyn.net admin
versys650

Post by versys650 »

Hi trubosquid :)

I just tried to install gimp 2.8 via your script on lmde (up4) but no success.
It has only created an entry on my menu but when i click on it nothing happens.

Here is the output from terminal if it can help you:

Gimp 2.8 / Babl-0.1.10 / Gegl 0.2.0 install script v0.2 - Rob Jewkes 2012 Telesyn.net

Build times can vary drastically depending in your processor speed,
It may take 15 mins or longer to build and install these files.

[Stage 1] Downloading dependencies. Done.
[Stage 2] Building and installing babl-0.1.10. Done.
[Stage 3] Building and installing gegl-0.2.0. chown: cannot access «*.deb»: Δεν υπάρχει τέτοιο αρχείο ή κατάλογος
mv: cannot stat «*.deb»: Δεν υπάρχει τέτοιο αρχείο ή κατάλογος
Done.
[Stage 4] Building and installing gimp 2.8.0. chown: cannot access «*.deb»: Δεν υπάρχει τέτοιο αρχείο ή κατάλογος
mv: cannot stat «*.deb»: Δεν υπάρχει τέτοιο αρχείο ή κατάλογος
mv: cannot move «gimp28.png» to «/home/versys/.gimp-2.8/»: Δεν είναι κατάλογος
Done.

Install complete.

Debian packages have been created in /home/versys
"Δεν υπάρχει τέτοιο αρχείο ή κατάλογος" means---> "No such file or directory"
trubosquid

Post by trubosquid »

Hi

Thanks for your feedback, it looks like it is a problem with dependencies, and that Gegl is not being compiled correctly.
I've tested the script numerous times on my LMDE x64 without fail, but dependencies can vary from install to install.
Can you give me a little more information so that i can try and replicate the fault. What architecture are you running on 32bit / 64bit?

I'll try it out on a fresh install in virtual box.

Thanks again
schtufbox

Post by schtufbox »

I didn't use your script as is, but I did use it to find exactly what dependencies I needed. I guess I had been missing one before as I couldn't get gegl to compile previously.
It would get past ./configure but fail on make
Luckily it works now and gimp 2.8 is happily compiling as I type, will let you know how it goes, though I can't see it throwing up any errors.
I am using the part of your script for making the menu entry though :D
Thanks a lot :)
versys650

Post by versys650 »

trubosquid wrote: Can you give me a little more information so that i can try and replicate the fault. What architecture are you running on 32bit / 64bit?
I apologise for that,
I am running LMDE 64 bit (UP 4).
gychang

Post by gychang »

I followed your script on LM12, Cinnamon, 64bit machine. It seems to install but when I click on the gimp 2.8 icon under graphics, it does not launch.

any ideas?

gychang
schtufbox

Post by schtufbox »

Well .. ./configure etc all goes okay.
make works fine..

but it won't install ..
In the end I tried with your script from scratch..same issue but no error message as piped to /dev/null

Tried again after a fresh download in case it was corrupt somehow...same again.
It all appears to go okay until this point:

Code: Select all

touch: setting times of `/home/asharin/.gimp-2.8/share/icons/hicolor': No such file or directory
make[3]: *** [install-data-hook] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/asharin/Downloads/Gimp28_Telesyn/gimp-2.8.0/desktop'
make[2]: *** [install-data-am] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/asharin/Downloads/Gimp28_Telesyn/gimp-2.8.0/desktop'
make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/asharin/Downloads/Gimp28_Telesyn/gimp-2.8.0/desktop'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

****  Installation failed. Aborting package creation.

Cleaning up...OK

Bye
trubosquid

Post by trubosquid »

Hi All,

I'm still looking into the issues with the script I know what causes the problems it down to either missing dependencies
or possibly wrong versions of certain libraries. The difficult part is narrowing down which ones. Linux systems can vary
a lot, some people may have certain libraries installed other may not. Some may have one version some may have another.
When building / compiling software from source these differences can mean either a successful build or a fail.
The dependencies / packages that are installed within my script :-

build-essential libatk1.0-dev libfontconfig1-dev libcairo2-dev libgudev-1.0-0 libdbus-1-dev libdbus-glib-1-dev liblcms1-dev libexif-dev libxfixes-dev libgtk2.0-dev python2.7-dev libtiff4-dev libglib2.0-dev zlib1g-dev checkinstall

Once installed on my LMDE x64 box allow me to build BABL, GEGL, and GIMP without any issues.
What I really need to know is the definitive list of requirements to build BABL, GEGL, GIMP. Then I can update the script accordingly.
I will keep tying to improve the script compatibility, Unfortunately it's just not that straightforward.....

Windows: 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell [on top of] a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of competition!
Inoki

Post by Inoki »

For me the script didn't work at all. It downloaeded the first two dependencies but when it had to install GIMP itself it stopped working. Am running LMDE x64 bit.
rich2005

Post by rich2005 »

Not LMDE but I have used a script to compile Gimp 2.8 and it worked fine but with all the dev packages involved there was about a 700 MB overhead. A tad large.

For my LMDE installation, I originally tried a 'buntu ppa, not really a good idea, AFAIK it now runs into dependency problems.

Took that one off and used the advice here.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 7&t=104435

and that works fine here, don't know about LMDE 64bit
Inoki

Post by Inoki »

Tried that one. Why can't at least a few major updates of softwares be pushed? Damn..... it's quite frustrating not being able to use latest software >.>
schtufbox

Post by schtufbox »

Inoki wrote:Tried that one. Why can't at least a few major updates of softwares be pushed? Damn..... it's quite frustrating not being able to use latest software >.>
I expect update pack 5 will be coming sooner rather than later now, as Linux Mint 13 XFCE and KDE are almost done.
Inoki

Post by Inoki »

Has anyone tried this on Debian stable and it worked?

Return to “LMDE Archive”