Opening Kate gives me a lot of messages

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DeMus

Opening Kate gives me a lot of messages

Post by DeMus »

When I start Kate from a terminal using root rights I get this:

Code: Select all

kdesudo kate /etc/fstab
QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /home/jan/.config/ibus/bus
QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
kbuildsycoca4 running...
QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /root/.config/ibus/bus
I have done a clean install of LM 13 KDE, but have noticed this behavior also in other distros.
What is wrong with my system that I get all these messages?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DeMus

Re: Opening Kate gives me a lot of messages

Post by DeMus »

Nobody who can help me?

I did a fresh install, a totally fresh install and I get all these texts when I start Kate from a terminal with kdesudo rights.
When I did a fresh install my guess would be that many others have the same things. I mean in the Mint installation there are no options to choose this or that, it is a straight forward installation so each install should, apart from hardware, be the same.
Please help me. Thank you.
RJim

Post by RJim »

I have the same behavior but I actually thought it was normal. If you ever watch the logs of a package update or a compile process, you will see a lot or warning messages like that.

In my case, Kate still opens properly and functions as expected, so that is why I never worried about those too much.
If that indeed is not normal behavior though, then I agree that there should be a fix for it.

--Jim
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

Hi Jim,
I posted the same on the KDE forum and got this answer:

These messages are all innocuous, and for many of them, changes in the latest version of Qt and KDE have fixed the majority of them.

The IBus related messages are likely because your system is configured to use the IBus IM system (for keyboard layouting I believe) but it is not running. This is relatively harmless and can be ignored however.

The kbuildsycoca4 message is because you have not recently run a KDE application as root.

Also for me, Kate works fine but I did not expect to see all the messages, so I just leave it to that. If somebody knows a way to get rid of them then please speak up.
Thanks.

Return to “Software & Applications”