USB External Drive showing twice?--SOLVED

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
g0lrk
Level 3
Level 3

USB External Drive showing twice?--SOLVED

Post by g0lrk »

Using Mint 4 and just noticed so not sure how long it's been there, real observant here!
For some reason my external usb drive, Iomega 120Gig, with 50gig used, is showing twice.
It looks to all intents and purposes as though there are 2 of them?
I can click on either of them and look or move files accordingly.
Why?
Like I say not sure what has happened to cause this but only just noticed it today, so no idea how long it's been like this.
If I unmount one they are both unmounted.
I have to un-hook the usb cable to re-mount it.
Thanks a lot.
Kevin.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: USB External Drive showing twice?

Post by Husse »

hmm this happened sometimes in earlier versions when both mintDesktop and the Mint ntfs tool showed ntfs disks on the desktop (Oh how fast you forget - I don't remenber what that tool was called ..)
Is it ntfs?
As it seems to be just the disk appearing twice, it's no real problem - more a real annoyance
Let it be till you find the solution
g0lrk
Level 3
Level 3

Post by g0lrk »

Yes it is ntfs, and no there is only one partition on the drive.
And yes you are right Husse it is annoying because it is there!
Still it doesn't detract from using Mint so like you say leave it and what the 'eck!
Thanks to you both for answering anyway, I will leave it open in case anyone else wants to have a 'stab' at it.
Kevin.
p.s.
Failing that I will await the next version and see what happens then?
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade »

It sometimes happens when I put a disc in the dvd drive and sometimes the icon disappears completely: it's as though Mint can't tell them apart. It doesn't actually cause any problems and corrects itself on reboot.
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
g0lrk
Level 3
Level 3

Post by g0lrk »

I run the command you said Slocker and also I un-plugged the drive, well it's plugged in all the time isn't it.
So I un-mounted it and un-plugged it and plugged it back in and lo and behold there is only one.
Must have just been a glitch somewhere like you say, it didn't bother me it was just 'THERE'.
Anyway I've re-booted and it's working OK now so goodness knows what it was, stupid really.
Thanks to you all anyway.
Kevin.

Return to “Hardware Support”