KDE: Flood of "permission denied" errors...

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rdanner3

KDE: Flood of "permission denied" errors...

Post by rdanner3 »

Basically, I installed KDE to test it, and got... a flood of "permission denied" error boxes. While KDE did launch, every time it tried to write to a config file, another "Permission Denied" type message box popped up. Considering it only says to "contact your system administrator" with no statement of what the permissions problem is, I am very confused, and that is a bad thing. (Have checked the permissions of ~/.kde; it is UID:1000 and GID matches, so I am both concerned and :?).

Example of the error message: "Configuration file "/home/rdanner3/.kde/config/knotifyrc" not writable. Please contact your system administrator." (There are many of these as KDE comes up...) And even weirder, it even intrudes (twice) during MATE startup!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
asdfasdf

Re: KDE: Flood of "permission denied" errors...

Post by asdfasdf »

That does seem odd.

I would also check the permissions and ownerships on the parent directories, /home and /home/rdanner.

Also, I assume that you aren't running SELINUX. In the very unlikely scenario that you were, then I would also then check your selinux logs.
rdanner3

Re: KDE: Flood of "permission denied" errors...

Post by rdanner3 »

asdfasdf wrote:That does seem odd.

I would also check the permissions and ownerships on the parent directories, /home and /home/rdanner.

Also, I assume that you aren't running SELINUX. In the very unlikely scenario that you were, then I would also then check your selinux logs.
What makes this especially annoying is the fact that I am training to be a Linux System Administrator, and the course appears to not cover anything remotely resembling this scenario... which seems a tad odd.

Return to “Software & Applications”