gnome 3 incomplete installation from MATE, not from cinnamon

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
salva84

gnome 3 incomplete installation from MATE, not from cinnamon

Post by salva84 »

Hi,

I've installed mint 13 in two computer, on the first one I installed MATE version, on the second one Cinnamon version. I have installed gnome-shell on both, but in the computer that I installed MATE version, gnome shell has not Terminal Application, Nautilus lacks lot of options when clicking with second button (compress option, etc), but in cinnamon version is perfect, what can I do?

Thanks!!!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
abnvolk

Re: gnome 3 incomplete installation from MATE, not from cinn

Post by abnvolk »

You can install gnome-terminal for Terminal, nautilus-wallpaper for Set as Wallpaper, nautilus-gksu for Open as Administration, nautilus-terminal for Open in Terminal option. All of this can be done in Synaptic.
You can also install nautilus-actions and nautilus-sendto, or even nautilus-dropbox, nautilus-flickr-upload... They are not installed by default but they are quite interesting.
It is quite easy to understand because Cinnamon is just a "shell" for GNOME 3, therefore it has full Nautilus. :wink:
salva84

Post by salva84 »

Thanks for you reply, the thing is that in both computers I installed this:

sudo apt-get install gnome-shell gnome-session gnome-tweak-tool

In particular, I also have the problem that in the MATE computer, gnome shell does not LOCK SCREEN, manually or when returning from sleep. What is then the plugin for adding COMPRESS and EXTRACT options in nautilus?
abnvolk

Post by abnvolk »

GNOME doesn't lock screen because you haven't install gnome-screensaver. There is a topic about it in the forum :D
As for the "compress" and "extract" option, I think you must install the GNOME Archive Manager to have it. It is named "fire-roller" in Synaptic. But... after installing it, both MATE and GNOME archive managers show up as "Archive Manager" and they have the same icon in the default gnome icon theme. They are for the same purpose and function the same... (the MATE archive manager was forked from GNOME 2). So you can uninstall the MATE one (Engrampa) or keep it :D
shimazaki

Post by shimazaki »

A word of advise, as i experienced recently, if you wanna keep gnome shell for working the right way, don't install compiz and fusion icon on mate distro...........doing this makes gnome shell unusable since the window engine, being asigned to compiz, makes desktop desapear in gnome shell..............so, be carefull.

Return to “Software & Applications”