How to transfer phpbb forum from wamp to lamp?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
eiger3970
Level 4
Level 4

How to transfer phpbb forum from wamp to lamp?

Post by eiger3970 »

Does anyone know how to transfer my phpbb forum from wamp to lamp?

I went to my WAMP 3.5.1,
selected my database name: forum,
selected Export,
Export Method: Quick - display only the minimal options.
Format: SQL
selected Go

I copied the downloaded file forum.sql to my USB.

Placed USB in new machine with LAMP.
I went to Linux Mint 13 Maya Mate,
selected Menu,
selected Applications,
selected Internet,
selected Google Chrome,
entered localhost/phpmyadmin.

In the newly opened phpMyAdmin,
selected forum,
selected Import,
selected Choose File,
selected the USB with the file forum.sql
selected Go.

I'm assuming this carried all the tables and whatever else is needed to simply make a functioning phpBB forum like on the WAMP server.

I then went to localhost to see my website and selected the forum link, which gives the error:
General Error
SQL ERROR [mysql4]
Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO) [1045]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.

Is there anything else I need to do as I'm a Linux noob?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Machine specs:
Disk space: 184.8 GB
Graphics: GeForce GT 710/PCIe/SSE2
Kernel Linux 5.15.0-76-generic x86_64
Linux Mint 21.1 Vera 64-bit.
MATE 1.26.0
Memory: 15.5 GiB
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-10105F CPU @ 3.7GHz x 8
DataMan

Re: How to transfer phpbb forum from wamp to lamp?

Post by DataMan »

For starters, did you set a root password in MySQL in your WAMP install and no root password for root in LAMP?

My first choice suggestion is to rebuild phpBB from scratch in LAMP. Once it's rebuilt then export your table contents from WAMP and do a import using phpMyAdmin in the database for phpBB in LAMP. If the version of phpBB is the same in both installations, theoretically, you should have no problems... :idea: .

=DataMan
eiger3970
Level 4
Level 4

Post by eiger3970 »

Thanks.

I still receive an error when going to : Mint 13 MATE Maya > Menu > Applications > Internet > Browser: localhost > forum

Not found.
The requested URL/forum\index.php was not found on this server.
Apache/2.2.22 (Ubuntu) Server at localhost Port 80.

I have gone through all the walkthroughs
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2158966&p=13170553#p13170553

and

http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/rebuild ... gphp-file/

Here's what I've done so far:

1. Linux Mint 13 MATE 64-bit install.
CD Linux Mint 13 MATE 64-bit into CD drive > Maya > Menu > Quit > Restart > press Delete key every ½ second/set BIOS boot order with CD drive 1st > Exit BIOS > allow several minutes for LinuxMint to setup > Maya desktop > Install Linux Mint CD icon > right click > Open > English: Continue > Preparing to install Linux Mint: Continue > Installation type: Replace Linux Mint 13 Maya (13) with Linux Mint: Continue > Replace Linux Mint 13 Maya (13) with Linux Mint: Install Now > Where are you?: Continue > Keyboard layout: Continue > Who are you?: enter name > select Log in automatically (allows remote desktop into Maya with tightVNC) > Continue > Restart.

2. LAMP server. (Linux version of Apache2, MySql and Php5).
Linux Mint 13 MATE Maya > Menu > Terminal:
2.1. sudo apt-get update
2.2. sudo apt-get install lamp-server^ (Credit to Maya chat, Glebihan).
New password for the MySQL “root” user: u…/OK
Repeat password for the MySQL “root” user: u…/OK
Linux Mint 13 MATE Maya > Menu > Applications > Internet > Browser: localhost (should see It works!).

3. Website files.
3.1. In Windows computer with website files go to Start > All Programs > WinSCP > WinSCP > Host name: 192.168.1.112 > User name: root > Password: u… > Login > Skip > drag website files from E:\<FILEPATH>\<FILEPATH>\<FILEPATH>\<FILEPATH> to /var/www/
3.2. Linux Mint 13 MATE Maya > Menu > Terminal: sudo chown www-data:www-data –R /var/www (Gives correct permissions for the www-data user if you created the files as root).
3.3. Linux Mint 13 MATE Maya > Menu > Applications > Internet > Browser: localhost (should see your website).

4. Transferring phpBB from WAMP to LAMP.
4.1.Forum install and database creation.

Linux Mint 13 MATE Maya/Menu/Terminal: sudo apt-get install phpmyadmin (lamp should have already installed php?).
Web server to reconfigure automatically: apache2/Ok
Configure database for phpmyadmin with dbconfig-common?/Yes.
Linux Mint 13 MATE Maya/Menu/Applications/Internet/Browser: localhost/phpmyadmin/enter Username: root and Password: u…/Go.
phpMyAdmin/Databases/Create new database: forum/Create.
phpMyAdmin/forum/Import/Browse…/select forum.sql/Go.

4.2. Administration Control Panel.
Windows\Start\Browser: localhost:8080/forum.html/Login/Username: admin, Password: u…/Login/Administration Control Panel (at bottom of the forum page you logged into as admin)/Password: u… (re-authenticate the admin password)/Login.

4.3. Backup phpBB files. (what runs the forum).
Administration Control Panel > General tab > Server settings > Force server URL settings: No > Board settings > Disable board: Yes > Submit > Go to: E:\<FILEPATH>\<FILEPATH>\<FILEPATH>\<FILEPATH>\www and copy the forum folder to the desktop (backing up the phpBB files).

4.4. Backup phpMyAdmin files. (forum settings).
Windows > Start > Browser: localhost:8080/phpmyadmin > Export > Custom – display all possible options radio button > select Database: forum > Output: Save output to a file > File name template: forum settings backup > Character set of the file: utf-8 > Compression: None > Format: SQL > Format-specific options: Dump table: structure and data > Go.

4.5. Backup phpMyAdmin files. (forum user data database).
Windows > Start > Browser: localhost:8080/phpmyadmin > select phpMyAdmin database name: forum > Export > Custom – display all possible options > Table(s): Select All > Output: Save output to a file > File name template: forum user data database backup > Format: SQL > Format-specific options: Dump table: structure and data > Object creation options: Add statements: check all: Add DROP TABLE VIEW PROCEDURE FUNCTION EVENT statement and 5 check boxes below/Go.

4.6. Restore phpMyAdmin
Linux Mint 13 MATE Maya > Menu > Applications > Internet > Browser: localhost > phpmyadmin > forum > Import > Browse… > USB file: forum user data database backup.sql > Character set of the file: utf-8 > Format: SQL > Go
Last edited by eiger3970 on Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Machine specs:
Disk space: 184.8 GB
Graphics: GeForce GT 710/PCIe/SSE2
Kernel Linux 5.15.0-76-generic x86_64
Linux Mint 21.1 Vera 64-bit.
MATE 1.26.0
Memory: 15.5 GiB
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-10105F CPU @ 3.7GHz x 8
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

A couple of things to take a look at:

1. When you use the filebrowser of choice verify that you are seeing the phpBB files in var/www/forum.

2. Did you set your permissions properly in var/www?

3. Are you seeing your database for the forum properly populated via phpMyAdmin after you ran your sql build statements from Windows?

-DataMan

Return to “Other topics”