[Solved] Window management problems (LM 13 XFCE)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dajare

[Solved] Window management problems (LM 13 XFCE)

Post by dajare »

I'm looking to replace LM 12 LXDE (sniff!) with an LTS option, and XFCE is the obvious candidate.

I've been spending extended time on XFCE session from live USB, and there is just one problem I've got with it: double-clicking on the titlebar of a window does nothing, even though Settings > Window Manager > Advanced > Double click action is set to "maximize window". In fact, NONE of the settings there do anything at all.

Also, when I drag a window to "bump" the top of the screen, the "maximizing" action only takes up the top 1/2 of the screen, not the full screen area. Clicking the "maximize" button (twice) on the titlebar eventually gets a full-screen maximize.

I've asked about this in the #xfce IRC channel, and it seems to be a Mint thing. Has anyone else experienced this? any fixes? I live in hope!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dajare

Re: Window management problems (LM 13 XFCE)

Post by dajare »

UPDATE: I eventually got a "fix" for the titlebar-double-click problem on the #xfce IRC channel (thanks to eithan and killermoehre). It turns out it's an old bug (?):

https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7808

(Should that alread be fixed in Xfce 4.10??) So for me, increasing the double-click time to 400ms in the Mouse settings did the trick. Nice!

Still no fix on the "drag-top-bump-gets-half-screen-maximize" issue. It's less important for me, but it would still be good to know what's happening there.
jjaythomas

Re: Window management problems (LM 13 XFCE)

Post by jjaythomas »

If looking for LTS...

If your use to LXDE you may want to install sesseion onto a 'XFCE' install, Or go to Peppermint OS (has some Mint stuff built in) their support will also be 5 years sys (fact of Being Ubuntu) their next version should be about year (and previos version suport bar sys will stop). they have stated will have 4 (sub versions(?)) during that time and will bump the kernel :) atleast once,

Any Linux OS based on Ubuntu 12.04 will get 5 years system/some progam support thru just the fact Ubuntu based. Xubuntu will be geting 5 years support (Ubuntu system repos) but only 3 years guranted their stuff (mostly XFCE patches ect.). Lubuntu will get 5 years support mostly (sys still Ubuntu and Repos) but unlikly will get anything more than year support (normal) on any LXDE phatches and things that might break after year due to (Ubuntu) system LTS support.

LMint (not LMDE versions) should be getting 5 year support just because of being Ubuntu, but the XFCE LMint spin is based on Ubuntu so don't know what will happen to XFCE related problems after year(?)

J.Jay

Edit Note also some themes you cant impement certiain 'XFCE features' either. I.E some have set icons/button you can't add to or move positions.

Return to “Xfce”