editing the xfce menu

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CapitalG

editing the xfce menu

Post by CapitalG »

i know there are some topics on this already. ive used the alacarte program to edit but doesnt let you remove the program at the top of the menu. i want to be able to completely edit this menu. what's the best way.

thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jjaythomas

Re: editing the xfce menu

Post by jjaythomas »

Alacarte work on the main menu...
But

the menu in LMint-XFCE is a custom one at /usr/share/xfcemint (I think thats where(?))

the main menu is embeded in the custom menu (why alacarte changes to main menu also effect custom menu) But yo can't effect the whole custom menu.

The above 'Custom menu' is a simple text file, but I wouldn't mess with untill figure out tags ect. Their are tutorial over at 'xfce.org' that are useful to show how>

Hope point where to investigate
J.Jay
CapitalG

Post by CapitalG »

thanks for the info. its crazy how hard they make it to edit the menu. ill check out xfce.org.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

its crazy how hard they make it to edit the menu. ill check out xfce.org.
Yea thats why many will use the main menu (can switch on right click preprences). 'Alacarte will work on whole menu'

Becase you can't edit top level menu with alacarte I sometimes activate 'other' change name and edit add/subtract itiems to make a sort of sub menu.
I do it usually to make a 'favorites menu. The App Finder (change icon in launcher in a panel) works with the main menu if you make a 'favorites' sub menu and some other you can get a 'MintMenu feel' (even a netbook big Icon feel). Unfortunatly can,t change bacground or back transparent (as far as I know) :wink:
CapitalG

Post by CapitalG »

transparency is a must for me :D
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

Here is a workaround to remove those top level entries in the menu that I use.

Using your menu as an example we will remove "Run Program..."

First, make sure you can see hidden files in your File Manager. I'm assuming Thunar so Ctrl + h to see them.
Next, open Thunar and navigate to /usr/share/applications
Locate the entry "Run Program...". Right click on it and choose "Copy".
Now navigate to your Home directory to .local/share/applications. Notice that it's .local with a "." (hidden file/folder). If the folder "applications" does not exist then create it. Right click in the folder and choose "Paste".
Right click on the file you just copied and choose "Open With > Open with what ever your text editor is. Perhaps gedit?
Go down to the bottom of the file and add a new line. In that new line add the text: NoDisplay=true
Save the file. Check your menu and "Run Program..." should no longer be visible.
To get it back again delete the line you just added or delete the file.

"Run Program..." is an easy example because the file name is the same as what you see in the menu. Some don't have the same name but you can usually recognize them buy their icon.

Hope this helps.
finjs

Post by finjs »

I solved that problem in two ways. In the /usr/share/applications folder
I just trashed the desktop files I didn't want in the menu any longer. Very effective.
or
I added the instruction Gene gave you "NoDisplay=true" to any desktop files I had qualms about trashing.
I didn't duplicate any files in /.local, I directly worked in the /usr/share/applications folder.
As you go, you may want to open nm-connection-editor.desktop file with gedit and comment the instruction "OnlyShownIn=GNOME". The missing nm-connection-editor application will immediately turn up in the Xfce Settings menu where it should have been.

Incidently, once you've understood how the desktop files work, you don't need alacarte at all.
itlsys

Post by itlsys »

I read this thread, and reviewed the pages http://standards.freedesktop.org/deskto ... nized-keys and http://wiki.xfce.org/howto/customize-menu . I tried editing ~/.config/menus/xfce-applications.menu, rebooted, and nothing changed. As a test, I changed BOTH xfce-aplications.menu files (in ~/.config/menus and /etc/xdg/menus), rebooted, and *still* no joy. I was about to lookfor some kind of cache, when, on closer inspection, I noticed that the XML layout of the original xfce-applications.menu did *not* match the menu being displayed; specifically, the <layout> section did not match. This is the section from xfce-applications.menu;

<Layout>
<Filename>xfce4-run.desktop</Filename>
<Separator/>
<Filename>exo-terminal-emulator.desktop</Filename>
<Filename>exo-file-manager.desktop</Filename>
<Filename>exo-mail-reader.desktop</Filename>
<Filename>exo-web-browser.desktop</Filename>
<Separator/>

But the actual menu display matches the following layout:

<Layout>
<Filename>xfce4-run.desktop</Filename>
<Filename>exo-terminal-emulator.desktop</Filename>
<Separator/>
<Filename>exo-file-manager.desktop</Filename>
<Filename>exo-web-browser.desktop</Filename>
[insert Software Manager here]
<Separator/>

I assume I am doing something wrong.Any suggestions?
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Not sure when happened (had to fresh install) :oops:
But
Now if you use main menu you can add/subtract ect. in top level menu (where couldn't before)

you're still can't remove certain thing with 'alacarte' but those
editing ~/.config/menus/xfce-applications.menu
are working on the main menu also! :?:

The mint (custom menu) uses a different (XDG?) to create menu. Other doesn't effect Mint's (custom menu).

J.Jay

Edit forgot to say what you did work on main menu. But I would first switch to using main menu then see what want to delete :wink: .
itlsys look at 'app finder', what you did had probably effected it. Look at the all (in app finder the added 'menu item are listed first (no category) then the accessories, then graphics, ect.
lewyssmith

Post by lewyssmith »

PMFJI and I hope I have not misunderstood or overlooked something. I wanted to tidy my LMDE/XFCE menu, and after trying in vain the offered 'Settings/Main Menu' program, found the following via the Xfce Help then web site:-
http://wiki.xfce.org/howto/customize-menu
Note very carefully the introductory conditions...

Code: Select all

Customize the Xfce menu

This page describes how to customize the menu, using Xfdesktop 4.5 or higher. For earlier versions you can use the libxfce4menu GUI. 

A GNU-licensed graphical menu editor for LXDE, LXMenuEditor, *also works for XFCE, as of XFCE 4.8.0* and LXMenuEditor 20110523.
My Xfce is 4.8, xfdesktop version 4.8.3.
The hidden link is http://lxmed.sourceforge.net/; follow the 'download' link, then that for Installation instructions http://lxmed.sourceforge.net/help.html#install.

Hope this helps. I have not yet tried it - not urgent enough. Lewis smith
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

In LMDE-Xfce (now that 'alacarte works as expected)

if you change to using the default menu (notMint's custom menu) you can add/subtract most everything.
And if use 'app finnder as menu, you can delete showing the setting and system catagories then use mintconfig-xfce (in LMDE Repos) for those (drag & drop to last tab whats not their)
My panel has a launcher to 'xfce control center', followed by a launcher to 'appfinder (in place of menu) not showing setting or system categories, then a directory menu (panel applet)

Works for me (reminds of old gnome2 'triple menu)
J.Jay
sanda

Post by sanda »

its crazy how hard they make it to edit the menu
search the mint forum for posts by member "ukbrian".
His solution ~~ creating menu directories and .desktop files in custom, NONstandard locations
then editing the xfce conf to load those ~~ that's really the only "feasible" solution, IMO.
ander111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ander111 »

Okay, I've found an easy way to edit XFCE's main menu using a little app called LXMenuEditor (LXME). It works just fine with XFCE's menu too!

Unfortunately, LXME (homepage here) isn't in Mint's official software selection, so you'll need to download and install it yourself. This is not hard! Rather than assuming anything about your experience level (a common problem on these forums, ahem), I'll explain how, step-by-step:

1. Go to this Sourceforge page and download the latest version of LXME.

2. Right-click the file you downloaded; then in the pop-up menu that appears, click "Extract Here". This creates a new folder called lxmed.

3. Right-click the lxmed folder; then in the pop-up menu, click Open Terminal Here. A terminal window appears.

4. Click the terminal window to select it; then type:

chmod +x install.sh

...and press Enter, then enter your password when you're asked for it. (In case you're interested, this step creates the installation script.)

5. When the command prompt returns, type:

sudo ./install.sh

...and press Enter to install LXME.

When the message Installation successfully completed appears, LXME has been installed. But don't close that terminal window—you can now run LXME by typing this, then pressing Enter:

lxmed

LXME is quite clear and should be easy to understand.

Now, how about using LXME to add a shortcut to itself to your menu, so you can run it right from there?:

1. In LXME's list of your menu's folders, select the folder where you want to put your LXME shortcut. (I selected Accessories, but it's your choice.)

2. Click the New Item button. A dialog box appears.

3. In the Name box, type the name you want for your shortcut. I called mine:

LXMenuEditor (edit main menu)

4. In the Command box, type:

lxmed

5. If you want an icon for your shortcut, click the Browse button next to the Icon box; then in the file window that appears, look through the folders containing available icons. I used this one:

/usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/mdm-xnest.pngeas

...but it's up to you. (Your shortcut doesn't need an icon; it's optional.)

6. Click OK, and a shortcut to LXME is added to your menu.

You can now delete the installation file (lxmed ... gz) you downloaded, and the lxmed folder you extracted from it.

Cheers, Ander
Last edited by ander111 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
lewyssmith

Post by lewyssmith »

ander111 wrote:Okay, I've found an easy way to edit XFCE's main menu using a little app called LXMenuEditor (LXME). It works just fine with XFCE's menu too!
Cheers, Ander
This follows the line that I myself posted earlier in the thread (without the nitty-gritty). I congratulate you on a super response, which explains every step simply & clearly. Many well-intentioned instructions beg questions; yours does not.
Perhaps LinuxMint-XFCE might consider including this LXMenuEditor as standard.

So from everyone who will benefit from your post: a big 'thank you'.

Lewis Smith
ander111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ander111 »

lewyssmith wrote:I congratulate you on a super response, which explains every step simply & clearly. Many well-intentioned instructions beg questions; yours does not.
Thanks! I'm a technical writer, and dislike ambiguity. It can be a curse, but at least it's a helpful one. :?)
lewyssmith wrote:Perhaps LinuxMint-XFCE might consider including this LXMenuEditor as standard.
Makes sense to me. The only odd thing is, LXMenuEd's site doesn't mention XFCE at all. Even if the XF and LX menus use the same syntax, wouldn't they be in different locations? Is LXMenuEditor's author going to the extra trouble to maintain XFCE compatibility and not even mentioning it?

Anyway, that'd be my only concern were LXME to be added to Mint XFCE... I'd be interested to know if the XFCE compatibility was intentional and would continue. I've emailed the author a thank-you but haven't heard from him yet.
LanceHaverkamp

Post by LanceHaverkamp »

Anyway, that'd be my only concern were LXME to be added to Mint XFCE... I'd be interested to know if the XFCE compatibility was intentional and would continue. I've emailed the author a thank-you but haven't heard from him yet.

It works because both LXDE & XFCE are trying to conform to freedesktop.org standards.
ander111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ander111 »

LanceHaverkamp wrote:It works because both LXDE & XFCE are trying to conform to freedesktop.org standards.
Right—the standards for desktop entries, and menus (which are, or should be, built from desktop entries). But does that mean the files and folders themselves would have the same paths and names between desktop environments? That's what I don't get.
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

Post by darkstrike »

Hmmm, I'm confused :| ...I've installed the LXME editor but it is not displaying the same menus I am seeing in my "Start" Menu in Mint 14 XFCE?

Example, my Menu list shows the categories: "Accessories, Graphics, Internet, Multimedia, Office, System, Wine."

LXME is showing me the categories: "Accessories, Education, Games, Graphics, Internet, Office, Other, Programming, Sound and Video, System Tools, Preferences"...?

I wanted to edit my Menu to add a link to ImgBurn under Wine to my "Multimedia" category as I want to replace Brasero and XFBurn with it! :)
ander111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ander111 »

I think it's showing the standard menu categories (menu folders) as well as the categories your menu is actually using.

Because there are so many Linux distributions (Mint being just one of them), there's a movement to establish standards between them so they'll be more consistent, and so proven desktop practices can be shared between distributions... In other words, so the authors of the various distributions don't have to "reinvent the wheel".

One of these proposed standards is to specify how menus are organized, and how the files that make up menus are written. And part of that particular effort is a set of app "categories", which appear like folders on a main menu (Accessories, Graphics, Office, etc.).

I think LXMenuEditor is set up to show all these default categories, to encourage people to use them. You see the same thing in desktop systems that do include menu editors (KDE, Gnome etc.).

In LXMenuEditor, if any of the menu categories you see contain no entries—or if the entries they contain aren't set to be Visible—those categories don't appear in your menu. In other words, they're just suggestions.
djfiander

Post by djfiander »

properties.png
OK, I figured out why Mint is using its custom menu instead of the standard menu: there's a configuration option. If you go down to the panel and right click on the "Menu" button, then select "Properties" from the pop-up, you'll see the properties of the menu launcher. Mint has "Use custom menu file" set by default. If you click on the "Use default menu" radio button, you'll see the default menu, and the freedesktop.org documentation about how menus are created are exactly right.

Return to “Xfce”