Ubuntu 12.10 and Mint 14

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cwwgateway

Ubuntu 12.10 and Mint 14

Post by cwwgateway »

I know this is really early (Mint 13 hasn't come out yet), but why can't I be really, really early :D ? So, anyway, I was thinking about all of the changes in Ubuntu 12.10 (talked about at UDS), and there seem to be some really neat ones. These include Unity using llvmpipe, meaning if it doesn't work with Mint 13/Cinnamon for some reason, it should work with Mint 14. Also, there's a system compositor that will make booting flickerless, which I'm hoping means that Clem will finally let Mint use plymouth again (this will hopefully get rid of the consistency issues that Clem was upset with). Next, there's Gnome 3.6 (not sure what's new with that) and the possibility of a Gnome-Buntu spin (not sure what that means for Mint). There'll be new Ubiquity features and the windows migration assistant will be removed, meaning easier install, although no migration ability. Really interestingly, Jockey's going to be replaced, so maybe the replacement will be easier to port to LMDE/Debian. Finally, there'll be kernel 3.5 (not sure what's in that). The article that I got these from is http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/05/uds- ... hell-spin/.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Ubuntu 12.10 and Mint 14

Post by AlbertP »

Thanks for the good description.

Cinnamon can work with LLVMpipe since Mint 13's Mesa 8.0, but it won't do that by default yet. Clem knows about llvmpipe, I think it will be possible on Mint 14 to use it with Cinnamon.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

A Gnome Shell Ubuntu remix will only really be interesting if they do something with it, alter it in some fashion, like MGSE. Otherwise, if it's just vanilla, well you can install Gnome Shell vanilla in three minutes in 12.04, I have that now - not extremely exciting if the difference is from easily installed to installed.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

AlbertP wrote:Thanks for the good description.

Cinnamon can work with LLVMpipe since Mint 13's Mesa 8.0, but it won't do that by default yet. Clem knows about llvmpipe, I think it will be possible on Mint 14 to use it with Cinnamon.
Yeah, I'm using it right now in virtual box (it didn't work when I first posted this).
bimsebasse wrote:A Gnome Shell Ubuntu remix will only really be interesting if they do something with it, alter it in some fashion, like MGSE. Otherwise, if it's just vanilla, well you can install Gnome Shell vanilla in three minutes in 12.04, I have that now - not extremely exciting if the difference is from easily installed to installed.
I agree.
frsu

Post by frsu »

I hope Mint 14 will be there with Mate as well.

Based on 12.10 with Mint 14 mate will run good on my netbook and will be easy to use.
ringo32

Post by ringo32 »

give me mint xfce :), but i wil stay on 13 when 14 comes out i dont want to reinstall continuly... mist the upgrade littlebit rolling that you dont lose or break some apps..., i will stay too the next lts.. they step off the non-free video drivers, is harsh for people that has the newest video or the oldest.? buntu diravets dont work out of the box sometimes and that is ugly, example my rt2800usb dont work out-off-the box..., in mint and ubuntu i must manually.., in debian works out of the box ... i will seee, it would be better but for that first versions i think lot of bugs...

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”