Better wacom support

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Mozenrath

Better wacom support

Post by Mozenrath »

Wacom tablets do work out of the box in Linux, but the configuration is severely lacking. Granted, things have improved recently, but the stock Wacom configuration tool is kinda lousy. It sometimes doesn't even work at all. It also doesn't allow you to change the OLED on the Intuos tablets. You can do this with a 3rd party tool that you have to compile, but it is unbelievably inconvenient.

Having the best Wacom support would give more people incentive to choose LM over other distros.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Better wacom support

Post by remoulder »

There is no point in posting this here as the linuxmint developers do not write the hardware drivers or configuration tools. You stand a better chance of getting this noticed on the ubuntu suggestion page.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

That is the usual problem for a special purpose device, the market is too small in general (graphics specialty products), that only a windows or possibly an Apple OS support would be offered
--Linux being non-commercial entry would of necessity be left behind: apart from any open source reverse-engineering to get some functionality from the device
  • Similar to printers, despite the fairly large CUPS DB
    --or even newest graphic cards or processor chips..
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/l ... =Main_Page
http://forum.wacom.eu/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1243
Mozenrath

Post by Mozenrath »

remoulder wrote:There is no point in posting this here as the linuxmint developers do not write the hardware drivers or configuration tools. You stand a better chance of getting this noticed on the ubuntu suggestion page.
I beg to differ, because the hardware drivers(plus command line OLED support) already exist and are pretty good. What I'm saying is that we need a GUI that can use existing drivers and software to easily configure Wacom tablets. The current Wacom GUI is too generic and it doesn't work well at configuring tablets like the Intuos.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

As I said I think a suggestion of this nature would be better aimed at the ubuntu devs.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Favux

Post by Favux »

Well, Ubuntu probably isn't the place either.

The actual hardware drivers from the Linux Wacom Project are pretty much feature complete now including OLED support for the Intuous 4. Jason just committed a bunch of patches to fix the long standing button mess. If they survive testing and review then configuration gui's can finally ignore the difference between the physical ExpressKey number and what X is using as the number. Plus use out of sequence keys.

So once Jason's patch to libwacom for the new xf86-input-wacom button handling is committed then gui's can finally handle tablets with out of sequence keys like the BambooPTs.

This means the Gnome configuration gui should improve dramatically shortly. And any other gui or app that decides to use libwacom for tablet metadata.

The people responsible for the configuration gui's are the Desktop folks like Gnome and KDE. Or any third party that wants to jump in and write a gui.

However I think you're still stuck with Karg's app for OLEDs. He did update it after all. If I remember correctly Bastien, the Gnome developer doing the heavy lifting on the Gnome Wacom tablet app, isn't planning on adding OLED support. At least not soon, but I don't recall the details other than it didn't sound real encouraging. But at least one LWP devel Przemo (who added Intuous4 wireless support) was interested in looking at it. I don't know what the plans are for the KDE configuration app OLED wise.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”