SOLVED: update-grub produces improper grub.cfg

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
anigramp

SOLVED: update-grub produces improper grub.cfg

Post by anigramp »

Greetings!

I'm happily running the latest Mint LMDE XFCE, that has worked fine for several months. Marvellous achievement!

Err, except the partition I put it on is a bit small (8Gb).

I have a free 12Gb partition on the same drive, so I thought I'd redeploy LMDE there. I copied everything over with rsync, and turned to updating the boot loader.

I didn't do anything special, just ran update-grub. Yes, it sees the new Mint on the 12G partition.

Code: Select all

clip default # update-grub
Generating grub.cfg ...
Found background image: linuxmint.png
Found Debian background: linuxmint.png
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-2-amd64
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-2-amd64
Found Linux Mint Xfce Edition (1) on /dev/sda1
done
Restarted, selected the new partition, it booted OK... but it's still using the smaller partition for / :shock:

Looking at grub.cfg, I see the following (excerpted):

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
menuentry 'LinuxMint GNU/Linux, with Linux 3.2.0-2-amd64' --class linuxmint --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
        insmod gzio
        insmod part_msdos
        insmod ext2
        set root='(/dev/sda,msdos3)'
        search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root c36dccca-7fcb-4508-9f20-100c6ff9f83e
        echo    'Loading Linux 3.2.0-2-amd64 ...'
        linux   /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-2-amd64 root=/dev/sda3 ro  splash vga=773 quiet
        echo    'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
        initrd  /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-2-amd64
}
menuentry 'LinuxMint GNU/Linux, with Linux 3.2.0-2-amd64 (recovery mode)' --class linuxmint --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
        insmod gzio
        insmod part_msdos
        insmod ext2
        set root='(/dev/sda,msdos3)'
        search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root c36dccca-7fcb-4508-9f20-100c6ff9f83e
        echo    'Loading Linux 3.2.0-2-amd64 ...'
        linux   /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-2-amd64 root=/dev/sda3 ro single  splash vga=773
        echo    'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
        initrd  /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-2-amd64
}
### END /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
That's for the original LMDE on the 8G partition (still working fine).

And here:

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
menuentry "LinuxMint GNU/Linux, with Linux 3.2.0-2-amd64 (on /dev/sda1)" --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
        insmod part_msdos
        insmod ext2
        set root='(/dev/sda,msdos1)'
        search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 322e43f7-863c-4c55-af8e-7c38b7849e25
        linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-2-amd64 root=UUID=c36dccca-7fcb-4508-9f20-100c6ff9f83e ro quiet
        initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-2-amd64
}
menuentry "LinuxMint GNU/Linux, with Linux 3.2.0-2-amd64 (recovery mode) (on /dev/sda1)" --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
        insmod part_msdos
        insmod ext2
        set root='(/dev/sda,msdos1)'
        search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 322e43f7-863c-4c55-af8e-7c38b7849e25
        linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-2-amd64 root=UUID=c36dccca-7fcb-4508-9f20-100c6ff9f83e ro single
        initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-2-amd64
}
### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
Silly os-prober has picked up the UUID of the 8G partition (root=UUID=c36...)! And furthermore, os-prober doesn't honour the setting in /etc/default/grub which says:

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux
GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true
:roll:

I suppose I could use some rescue tool to write a valid boot loader, but I'd like to keep it in-house as it were (and help resolve bugs, if that's what's causing this).

Any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: update-grub produces improper grub.cfg

Post by viking777 »

I can't work out why that has happened, but if it were me, I would be tempted to stop the boot at the grub menu, highlight the msdos1 entry, press e to edit it and change the root=UUID line to read the same UUID as the set=root line above it and then press Ctl/x and see if it boots. If it does you could manually edit grub.cfg to the correct UUID (but that edit will be overwritten the next time update-grub is run so it doesn't do much really except satisfy my curiosity).

As for the GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true line in /etc/default/grub, I don't know why they bothered putting it there, it never has done anything that I can detect. You probably hate UUID's as much as I do, but partition references aren't much help (they change). Disk labels are the only sensible solution, but I don't know how to force tools like 'update-grub' to use those, that is why I still chainload all my grub2 partitions from grub1 it makes so much more sense to me.

To solve your problem I would wimp out and use something like boot-repair http://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair/home/Home/ I was trying it out only this morning (on an old computer, I am not a fool :lol: ) It is an incredibly competent tool and the way it differs from cli tools like 'update-grub' is that it completely purges grub before reinstalling/reconfiguring it - and that technique works very well.
titetanium
Level 2
Level 2

Post by titetanium »

Hi,

Did you update the /etc/fstab file on the new partition to show that / points to the new partition instead of the old one? I think that's the problem.....
anigramp

Post by anigramp »

Aha! No I didn't. Good catch, that would be important later, but didn't affect it straight away... only matters when I'm booting the kernel that the fstab belongs to, still a GRUB problem.

I had to follow viking777's suggestion and edit the GRUB command line to identify the correct partition. That boot WAS from the right partition, worked fine! :D Then it was straightforward to redo update-grub and grub-install, and I'm away! 8)

Many thanks guys, very helpful tips. Solved!

Return to “LMDE Archive”