dual display monitor issues cinnamon

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mr.peeters

Post by mr.peeters »

Hi I've ubuntu 11.10 installed and really wanted to use cinnamon, but now have major issues with my dual display set-up.
I'm use to hook up my laptop via VGA to a monitor - used to work perfectly.
Cinnamon recognises the extra monitor, but as soon as I connect my computer the screen either blocks, or there's no menus or panels anymore, can't move windows anymore and need to do a hard restart urgh.
Anyone know about any solution for this?
Thx.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
terdon

Re: dual display monitor issues cinnamon ubuntu

Post by terdon »

Nope, but I have the same problem. I have found that everything is fine if I use the VGA monitor ONLY but I get a black screen (can't even drop to ttys with Ctrl+Alt+F keys, nor does Ctrl+Alt+Backspace have any effect) and no choice but a hard restart if I try for extended desktop. I am using the nvidia proprietary driver and the screen is a Philips 190WS.

Oddly enough, things seem to work OK with another monitor (Dell) at work. Something strange about the Philips monitor?
mr.peeters

Post by mr.peeters »

Thinking of moving from Ubuntu to Mint I installed Mint over Ubuntu 11.10 and absolutely convinced.
Apart from one major issue - research on this and other forums to no avail.
Cinnamon seems to have a big problem with dual monitor display.
I have my laptop and at home hook it up to a second monitor with VGA.
But Cinnamon apparently is unable to handle this.
If I could solve this problem I'd go Mint for sure.
But until then, Ubuntu it is.
Do let me know if anyone has any suggestions...
Thanks!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: dual display monitor issues cinnamon ubuntu

Post by xenopeek »

Topics merged by moderator, and moved here.

How about providing us with some info :) Please open the terminal and post the output of the following command:

Code: Select all

inxi -SGxc 0
mr.peeters

Re: dual display monitor issues cinnamon

Post by mr.peeters »

Hi Vincent, thx for looking into this.
However your code doesn't work in terminal: 'inxi; command not found' he says.
I can tell you I'm running Cinnamon 1.4 in Ubunutu 11.10 on a Lenovo X201 laptop (Intel Core i5 540M, I think he has an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) HD Graphics).
I'm used to hook it up with VGA to a LG (Goldstar Company) 24'' monitor (res. 1920 x 1080 - res for my laptop is 1280 x 800).
Don't know whether this info is useful?
Thx!
d.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Oh, I thought you moved to Linux Mint. So moving the topic here, as it isn't about Linux Mint. Ubuntu doesn't install inxi.
s_shuffler

Post by s_shuffler »

I've managed to get both Screens working . 8)
Check what I posted in http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.ph ... 48#p649848. It involves "turning off one of the screens in Settings -Displays and turning back on after some changes...).
I hope it helps you also...
Mozenrath

Post by Mozenrath »

My girlfriend recently had this problem after updating. She has an Nvidia card, and I fixed the issue by simply creating a new xorg.conf file and remaking the twinview settings.

Return to “Chat about Linux”