Can't skip language packs download

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jack Gruff

Can't skip language packs download

Post by Jack Gruff »

Hi,

Linux Mint 13 KDE 64-bit.

During the installation, waiting for the language packs to download: The X button next to the progress bar doesn't work, I've clicked it repeatedly. Physically cutting off the Internet only cause the progress to freeze and stay like that.

-Jack
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Can't skip language packs download

Post by xenopeek »

Well, you actually need the language packs so I suggest you don't skip it? Only the language packs for your chosen language are downloaded.
Jack Gruff

Post by Jack Gruff »

xenopeek wrote:Well, you actually need the language packs so I suggest you don't skip it? Only the language packs for your chosen language are downloaded.
Really? That doesn't make much sense. The only related thing the installer asks for is the region. My chosen region was 'South Africa' and so I assume it's trying to get the languages/dialects related to South Africa. That's fine, but I'm not interested in any language other than English, even if it's only US English and not British or South African English.

But no matter what it's trying to download or what the user wants, I was able to skip this step for the main editions of Mint 11 through 13.

I just tried installing it now in a virtual machine with no internet and it didn't try to download them. I imagine this is just something you can do afterwards yourself but I've never had the need.

But as I said, the other installers didn't bug out at this step for me and the system should be fully installable without reliance on internet anyway, regardless of whether the machine has internet access or not.

Regards,
Jack
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

You don't need all of those language packs. You can stop them from downloading or installing in the gnome installation. People have
complained about this issue for the last three releases and nobody ever fixes it. It's a kubuntu installer and it's been that way for a couple
of years. You can install any other distro in about 15 minutes, but it takes sometimes well over an hour with Mint KDE, Kubuntu, or anything
else that uses this horrible installer.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

You could also remove the languages you don't want after they have installed (it's a pain, but it will clear up the cruft..)
--or you might try localpurge to clean out languages you don't want
http://www.debianadmin.com/remove-unnec ... purge.html
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

xenopeek wrote:Well, you actually need the language packs so I suggest you don't skip it? Only the language packs for your chosen language are downloaded.
I agree with xenopeek. I installed Mint KDE 13 64bit recently. It did the downloading language packages thing on install but the only language on my computer is English.

There's nothing to uninstall in - System Languages except English and the - Available Languishes are American English or British English. I guess if you're on a slow or sluggish net connection, that would be a pain in the butt.
silverbird

Post by silverbird »

I have a 1MB DSL line (Manila Philippines) and after one hour I abandoned the installation of Mint 14, unplugged my internet connection and installed again.

This has been a problem for the last versions of Mint.

I don't know why the reviews of Mint don't mention this as a problem.
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

It doesn't matter how fast your internet service is because the server it's coming from is so incredibly slow that it still takes
about an hour to download. It's been going on for three years now. Ridiculous. And you don't need it. :roll:

Return to “Software & Applications”