Cairo Dock on Mint 13 Cinnamon does not stay visible.

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
donkeyhottie

Cairo Dock on Mint 13 Cinnamon does not stay visible.

Post by donkeyhottie »

I have installed and trying to use Cairo Dock on this fresh Cinnemon.

It works, but (maybe is GLX-dock which I now use) Cairo Dock does not stay visible if I have maximized windows.

I have used Cairo Dock in virtualized machines earlirer, and there the "fallback" mode Dock works nicely. My current setup is no pure iron, and now the Cairo Dock does not plase. GLX-dock hides and I can't keep windows maximized. Menu and dock ununreachable.

Fallback mode does not look good. It does not hide, but it does not look good: it has a strange backgound box around the dock, and I do not like it.

Another issue with Cairo Dock is that Alt-Tab key combo does nothing. In Cinnemon it works.

What might help?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
terdon

Re: Cairo Dock on Mint 13 Cinnamon does not stay visible.

Post by terdon »

Hi, I don't know what you mean about the Alt+Tab, that is a desktop environment feature and has nothing to do with cairo dock.

Anyway, the behaviour you are describing is a feature not a bug :) Go into cairo-dock settings, under behaviour=>visibility=>change visibility options. It sounds like you have selected the "Hide the dock when it overlaps the current window" option.
donkeyhottie

Post by donkeyhottie »

terdon wrote:Hi, I don't know what you mean about the Alt+Tab, that is a desktop environment feature and has nothing to do with cairo dock.
Do this DE supports alt-tab? Unity apparently, but can the Unity panel be removed from it then?
terdon wrote: Anyway, the behaviour you are describing is a feature not a bug :) Go into cairo-dock settings, under behaviour=>visibility=>change visibility options. It sounds like you have selected the "Hide the dock when it overlaps the current window" option.
No I have it setup properly. Cairo just somehow at random moment breaks. But it may be connected to other problems, name Nvidia problems with new kernels. Remains to be seen... I upgraded the NVidia with info received in another thead here, but now my Mint does not boot any more, boot loader somehow broke.

Running Mint now (temporary solution) under VirtualBox on Windows7 and here everything just works.
donkeyhottie

Post by donkeyhottie »

terdon wrote:Hi, I don't know what you mean about the Alt+Tab, that is a desktop environment feature and has nothing to do with cairo dock.
Alt tab works with Cinnamon, I think. And it works with Gnome?

I have selected Gnome with Cairo in the login screen's session selection. In that way started session Alt+tab does not work.

I'm still a newbie what comes to GUI in Linux. I don't know the components, what is a window manager, desktop environment and what not. But I have seen the Alt+tab work in this very Mint, but not when I use Cairo Dock session.

What might be the issue? This is Mint 13 Cinnamon, and I have installed Cairo Dock with it. That's all I know, and I need help :mrgreen:

EDIT: Gnome Shell seems to have extension for this. I installed Gnome-shell and extensions, but I see no options to enable Gnome-shell in session menu in login screen...

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”