Updating to KDE 4.9

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Rudemeister

Updating to KDE 4.9

Post by Rudemeister »

I am anxious to get the update to KDE 4.9. I am presently running Mint 13 KDE 32-bit and it works so good, I'm a little hesitant to do an upgrade. I understand KDE 4.9 increases stability, performance and adds some new features. Below is a link that shows how you can upgrade Mint 13 KDE to 4.9 right now:

http://www.muktware.com/4067/how-upgrade-kde-49

Have any of you tried this? What results did you get? Would doing this mess up a potential official Mint update to 4.9?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RJim

Re: Updating to KDE 4.9

Post by RJim »

I'm a big newbie to all of this, but that page you linked to actually says that if you are running Mint 13, that the update is as easy as adding that PPA.
I might try it... it can't be much worse than updating video drivers -- which I just did a few minutes ago.

I'll wait though to see what the experts/pros on this board say.

--Jim
Rudemeister

Post by Rudemeister »

Well, I did it. So far, so good. I'll let all of you know how it goes. Please also let me know if you do it too. Here are the commands if you want to upgrade to KDE 4.9

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports -y
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
antman

Post by antman »

Yep, I'm running 4.9 in Linux Mint KDE 13, and so far it is running great. 8)

Antman
Rudemeister

Post by Rudemeister »

Well, KDE works good. But my address book in Kmail disappeared and Mint update is reporting a bunch of errors.

ERROR###ERROR###ERROR###ERROR###ERROR###ERROR###ERROR
E:Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

unfortunately i can't help you with kmail because i don't use it but the upgrade error we can try:
open konsole and:

Code: Select all

apt update && apt dist-upgrade
(share the output)
M.Saleem

Post by M.Saleem »

Should i remove Kubuntu repository after update ?
Rudemeister

Post by Rudemeister »

zerozero wrote:unfortunately i can't help you with kmail because i don't use it but the upgrade error we can try:
open konsole and:

Code: Select all

apt update && apt dist-upgrade
(share the output)
Well, I just figured it out. I had also tried to upgrade to Gimp 2.8,but the filter settings I have for 2.6 were making the upgrade bomb out. I removed those PPA's and now I have joy again. The upgrade to KDE 4.9 is awesome. Also, I had saved all my addresses in Kmail. I just imported them again and that is now fixed.

I'm so happy I could cry.

:D :cry:

LOL
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

glad you got it sorted :D
RJim

Post by RJim »

Okay I've read a few reviews of KDE 4.9 and have watched a few videos showing some changes and most of them seem to be regarding Activities, which I don't really use because I have not really understood the concept of Activities to begin with.

What I am more interested in is performance. So how has it been performing? Faster/slower? Is Memory usage better or worse?
Also can someone please check to see if this Four year old LibreOffice bug is finally solved in KDE 4.9. Each one says it's someone else's problem and I'm just hoping that someone fixes it. :)

I just spent 3 hours fixing a graphics problem relating to a driver update, which I had to do using the console because I couldn't load an X session. So unless this update is absolutely awesome, and fixes a bunch of bugs and performs like a race-horse, I think I will wait now. :lol:

--Jim
Rudemeister

Post by Rudemeister »

RJim wrote:Four year old LibreOffice bug is finally solved in KDE 4.9.
As far as I know, LibreOffice forked from OpenOffice in 2010. So I don't understand the how it could have a four year old bug. Please elaborate. :?
RJim

Post by RJim »

Rudemeister wrote:
RJim wrote:Four year old LibreOffice bug is finally solved in KDE 4.9.
As far as I know, LibreOffice forked from OpenOffice in 2010. So I don't understand the how it could have a four year old bug. Please elaborate. :?
Look at the initial reported date-year (2008). The bug existed and still does exist in OpenOffice, as well as every version of LibreOffice.

--Jim
pcnoproblem

Post by pcnoproblem »

Hi, I'm using Mint KDE 13 x64 and I just upgraded the system to KDE 4.9 via Kubuntu Backports.
I performed the following steps:
1) added the repository
2) edit the file / etc/apt/preferences.d/10mint.pref giving priority to 730 Mint and 710 to backports repository.
3) upgrade through synaptics.

No issues, glad to be here.
la_monda
Level 2
Level 2

Post by la_monda »

Upgraded kde through the sites directions
http://www.muktware.com/4067/how-upgrade-kde-49
sadly as the last post replies:

"Seems to work ok. But dolphin's places sidebar is a fallback to stoneage, ugly and unneeded headers between places and devices - and the icon size is fixed 16x16. So for me much too tiny and not usable anymore. KDE/SC was known for its flexibility and the option to make everything as big as needed, and now THAT. At least they should allow the user to set a specific size of the icons like pcmanfm (16, 22, 32, 48)!"

So since I use my pc in my living room with a 32" tv the resize places feature was a deal-breaker. downgraded to 4.8.4, all ok!
hewjr1000
Level 2
Level 2

Post by hewjr1000 »

la_monda, how did you downgrade 4.9 to 4.84, would like to know just in case I try the upgrade and want to go back.

Henry
HP Pavillion Gaming Laptop 16
32 GB Ram 500GB SSD.
10th Gen. Intel i5 2.5 GHZ Quad Core.
Nvidia GTX 1650 Graphics 4 GB Memory.
la_monda
Level 2
Level 2

Post by la_monda »

reinstalled the entire system :oops:
the thing is that it was the first thing to try so i wouldn't have to go under all the desktop customization for my needs
Jonathan Spearman

Post by Jonathan Spearman »

RJim wrote:Okay I've read a few reviews of KDE 4.9 and have watched a few videos showing some changes and most of them seem to be regarding Activities, which I don't really use because I have not really understood the concept of Activities to begin with.

What I am more interested in is performance. So how has it been performing? Faster/slower? Is Memory usage better or worse?
Also can someone please check to see if this Four year old LibreOffice bug is finally solved in KDE 4.9. Each one says it's someone else's problem and I'm just hoping that someone fixes it. :)

I just spent 3 hours fixing a graphics problem relating to a driver update, which I had to do using the console because I couldn't load an X session. So unless this update is absolutely awesome, and fixes a bunch of bugs and performs like a race-horse, I think I will wait now. :lol:

--Jim

I upgrade to 4.9, was a little nervous about it, seeing how I had a perfectly working system. But I did it anyway, So far the system does seem a lot more responsive, However I have a quad system with 16 gigs of ram. The screen transitions are definitely quicker, and the web page loading is significantly faster. 4.9 is very smooth and my video is only a on-board 512 video board, I constantly have system monitor running and the most in mem usage has been 1.6 out of 16 gigs of ram. That is with 6 tabs open in firefox, system monitor running and a couple of apps all running at the same time. When I crank up VBox, the ram usuage goes up to 6 gigs, but then I have it set in Vbox to use that much ram, even with that running in the background, I can get on hulu or twit and watch videos, and then crank up some music and there is no slowdown at all. :D
indyend

Post by indyend »

I'm use Packet manager and it's work.I got 4.9 in 1 hr.
I'm grad to see AMD graphic card is upgrade. And theme's
overall look great for me. Thank you KDE team. Wish
you have a lot of money for no reason. ^_^+
Mint 13 64Bit KDE.
Rudemeister

Post by Rudemeister »

KDE 4.9: As Pretty and Peppy as a Linux Desktop Can Be

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/KDE-4 ... 75903.html
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

KDE 4.9 is going nicely on my computer. It is zippy, though I haven't noticed recent KDE desktops to be as sluggish as people say. Not as fleet as LXDE or Xfce, no, but comfortably quick and not hogging resources. Very nice.

Return to “Software & Applications”