Some toshiba notebooks wont recognize battery state <SOLVED>

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
jeroseijas

Some toshiba notebooks wont recognize battery state <SOLVED>

Post by jeroseijas »

In some Toshiba notebook models, like mines (Toshiba Satellite L645-SP4135L) Linux doesn't recognize the battery. I will try to make it easy so the kernel gets the data from the battery state

There are two ways to solve this issue, modify some parameters and recompile the kernel ore solve it via grub without the need to recompile anything. I'm going to focus on the second option so, if I update my kernel, I don't have to recompile it again.

First I have to see if the kernel really doesn't detect my battery by running in terminal  cat/proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/* 

mukenio@notebook:~$ cat/proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/
cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/*
present: no

mukenio@notebook:~$ dmesg | grep batt
[ 1.370268] ACPI: Battery Slot [BAT1] (battery absent)

Here we see that the kernel doesn't recognize it, so, from here, the only thing we need is the terminal open. 

Obtain the DSDT (Differentiated System Description Table) by running 

$sudo cat /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/DSDT > DSDT.dat

(The DSDT is one of the tables where OS can obtain data from the hardware) 

Now we dissemble it by the command

$sudo iasl -d DSDT.dat

(if the command fails, you need to install iasl package)

Edit the file that has been generated from the step below,  
Don't try to edit it with gedit or kate, it can give you some troubles
I recommend vi or nano

$sudo nano DSDT.dsl

and replace

OperationRegion (EMEM, SystemMemory, 0xFF808001, 0xFF) 

with 

OperationRegion (EMEM, EmbeddedControl, 0×00, 0xFF) 

IMPORTANT: do not copy / paste this string... write it, if you copy/paste it, it wont work.

(In nano you can find the string by pressing Ctrl-W) 

Save changes and exit. (Ctrl-O in nano to save, Ctrl-X exits) 

Generate the file DSDT.aml by running

$sudo iasl -tc DSDT.dsl

Copy these las file to the directory /boot 

sudo cp DSDT.aml /boot

Download http://dl.dropbox.com/u/155504/toshiba% ... on/01_acpi and give permissions to execute and copy it to  /etc/grub.d/ 

Supposing that the download was made to the user directory, the command goes like this: 

$chmod +x 01_acpi ; sudo cp 01_acpi /etc/grub.d

Re-generate the grub by running: 

sudo update-grub2

Now, by restarting and login in, you should see the batter icon

If it doesn't, run

cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/* 

And see if you get anything like these: 

$cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/*
alarm: unsupported
present: yes
design capacity: 4500 mAh
last full capacity: 2389 mAh
battery technology: rechargeable
design voltage: 10825 mV
design capacity warning: 300 mAh
design capacity low: 200 mAh
cycle count: 0
capacity granularity 1: 32 mAh
capacity granularity 2: 32 mAh
model number: PA3817U-1BRS
serial number:
battery type: LION
OEM info: SANYO
present: yes
capacity state: ok
charging state: discharging
present rate: 1820 mA
remaining capacity: 132 mAh
present voltage: 10701 mV

If you don't get this, repeat the steps.

Sorry for my English... is not my mother language, I hope it helps you.

Original document: http://heraldolinux.blogspot.com.ar/201 ... ia-no.html by mukenio

Translated by jeroseijas
jazz.h
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Some toshiba notebooks wont recognize battery state <SOL

Post by jazz.h »

Hi jeroseijas!
Nice post, very helpful.
I'm also stuck with Toshiba Satellite L750 (Intel i3) in Mint 13 Cinnamon.
Battery absent, no battery indicator present, although suspend works, after awakening battery monitor icon is shown with "0 remaining 24%). When on AC power, battery indicator is correct.
I tried your solution but I got a lot of errors after compiling "sudo iasl -d DSDT.dat", so I stopped there.
Did you find some other solution in the meantime?
jbohr

Post by jbohr »

Thank you so much for taking the time to document this! This problem has been bugging me for quite some time now and my computer would power off without notice sometimes in the middle of my work. I created this account on this forum just to say thank you. FYI to readers, to get the battery icon to show up after performing these steps I had to go into system settings -> power and set the option to always display battery status when battery is present.
jeroseijas

Post by jeroseijas »

jazz.h wrote:Hi jeroseijas!
Nice post, very helpful.
Battery absent, no battery indicator present, although suspend works, after awakening battery monitor icon is shown with "0 remaining 24%). When on AC power, battery indicator is correct.
I tried your solution but I got a lot of errors after compiling "sudo iasl -d DSDT.dat", so I stopped there.
Did you get the file DSDT.dat? Some errors in this step are normal.. remember to edit it with vi and not to copy and paste...
jeroseijas

Post by jeroseijas »

jbohr wrote:Thank you so much for taking the time to document this! This problem has been bugging me for quite some time now and my computer would power off without notice sometimes in the middle of my work. I created this account on this forum just to say thank you. FYI to readers, to get the battery icon to show up after performing these steps I had to go into system settings -> power and set the option to always display battery status when battery is present.
You are welcome!! its very nice to get this kind of comments and know i could help someone! that problem was driving me crazy until i find the solution
kamachi

Post by kamachi »

Thanks a lot! Works sucessfully on Toshiba Satellite L655-5144 and Linux Mint 14 Cinamon.
oso14

Post by oso14 »

jeroseijas wrote:
jazz.h wrote:Hi jeroseijas!
Nice post, very helpful.
Did you get the file DSDT.dat? Some errors in this step are normal.. remember to edit it with vi and not to copy and paste...
i have the same problem, the only diference that i have with the main post is:

dmesg | grep batt
[ 0.903901] ACPI: Deprecated procfs I/F for battery is loaded, please retry with CONFIG_ACPI_PROCFS_POWER cleared
[ 0.903910] ACPI: Battery Slot [BAT1] (battery absent)
[ 0.903927] ACPI: Battery Slot [BAT1] (battery absent)

i follow all the steps and then when i put: sudo iasl -tc DSDT.dsl
ASL Input: DSDT.dsl - 13006 lines, 476660 bytes, 5461 keywords
Compilation complete. 2 Errors, 3 Warnings, 32 Remarks, 7 Optimizations

how can i solve it?
kendalljenner84

Post by kendalljenner84 »

I think there is problem technology you can consult with customer care executive of Toshiba and telling about this problem to him.
metaluy

Post by metaluy »

Hi! It worked like a charm on my Toshiba L645 with Mint 14 Nadia and kernel 3.5.0.17-generic.
Thank you very much for you help!
rob#!

Post by rob#! »

oso14 wrote:
i have the same problem, the only diference that i have with the main post is:

dmesg | grep batt
[ 0.903901] ACPI: Deprecated procfs I/F for battery is loaded, please retry with CONFIG_ACPI_PROCFS_POWER cleared
[ 0.903910] ACPI: Battery Slot [BAT1] (battery absent)
[ 0.903927] ACPI: Battery Slot [BAT1] (battery absent)

i follow all the steps and then when i put: sudo iasl -tc DSDT.dsl
ASL Input: DSDT.dsl - 13006 lines, 476660 bytes, 5461 keywords
Compilation complete. 2 Errors, 3 Warnings, 32 Remarks, 7 Optimizations

how can i solve it?
I had the same exact issue.

Fix :

open DSDT.dsl file and go to the line where iasl indicated the error. In my case I go to lines 2656 and 2663.

iasl is complaining about the “Length” line “0×00000000″. This is wrong. Look at the “Range Minimum” and “Range Maximum”. Open up your Kcalc or whatever you Gnome people use and change it to Numeral System Mode. Make sure HEX is selected and now we subtract the minimun range from the maximun range and then we add 1. Since the minimum range is 0 (And you can’t subtract 0) I will input FEAFFFFF and then add 1 which gives me FEB00000 (Don’t get confused, I’m simply omitting “0x”, the calculator doesn’t need this). I change 0×00000000 to 0xFEB00000 by Length. So now it looks like this:

0×00000000, // Granularity
0×00000000, // Range Minimum
0xFEAFFFFF, // Range Maximum
0×00000000, // Translation Offset
0xFEB00000, // Length

Line 2663 changed to

0×00000000, // Granularity
0xFED40000, // Range Minimum
0xFED44FFF, // Range Maximum
0×00000000, // Translation Offset
0×00005000, // Length

compile again.

Here is the link to the original answer:[url]http://techinterplay.com/fix-toshiba-battery-issue-linux.html[/url]

Hope that helps!
cforput1

Post by cforput1 »

I was excited when I ran acoss this thread but quickly got shot down. When I run the command "cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/*" I get an error stating "No such file or directory" so I'm at a loss of what to do next. Should I just manually create the folder?

Help Please!
stanrock

Post by stanrock »

You are a genius! It worked great.

I did get some errors when I compiled the file, and it makes me a little nervious when I put it in the /boot directory, but it worked fine. Now I have a battery indicator, life is good!
jazz.h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jazz.h »

jeroseijas wrote:In some Toshiba notebook models, like mines (Toshiba Satellite L645-SP4135L) Linux doesn't recognize the battery.
Greetings jeroseijas!
Do you happen to know if this problem has been fixed in new versions of Mint?
I will be fixing my friends laptop again for weekend so I wanted to know if there are any news.
Thx.

Return to “Tutorials”