SOLVED: Minimize, Restore, Close replaced by colored dots

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
skymeadow

SOLVED: Minimize, Restore, Close replaced by colored dots

Post by skymeadow »

All window controls (Minimize Window, Restore Window, Close Window) have changed into a new type of control that I don't like.

These buttons should be something like a down triangle, an up triangle, and an X.

Instead, there are three white circles with gray borders, which change color into yellow, green or red when you mouse over, and for each one a tooltip appears listing the operation that the dot control will do when clicked.

The placement of the controls is in the upper right corner of the window border where one would expect.

I do not recall selecting anything that would have caused this, although I did play with themes briefly in the Advanced Configuration menu recently; I just wanted to see what the other themes look like, but expected to return to my original theme and thought I had. My recollection is that the window control buttons did not change when I was looking at themes; perhaps they changed sometime afterwards with a delayed effect or did not change when I was selecting various themes.

On Advanced Configuration Menu, options Menus Have Icons (off | on) and Buttons Have Icons (off | on) make no visual difference. On the same menu:

My cursor theme is Adwaita (default).
Keybinding theme is default.
Icon theme is Mint-X-Dark.
GTK+ theme is Adwaita (default).
Shell theme is None, default.
Window theme is Mint-X.

Wouldn't the Window Theme control the visual appearance of window controls and decorations? but maybe it has stopped working.

Searching the web found no mention of this on Linux Mint or Gnome 3, but apparently this is the visual style of the Macintosh UI. (I've never been a Mac user.)

Can I get my old window controls back somehow? The ones that look like MS Windows. Just habit, but I find the colored buttons less user friendly, and there is an expectation of being able to control everything on the UI, which currently I cannot.

Thank you!

Sky Meadow
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
skymeadow

Re: Minimize, Restore, Close controls replaced by colored do

Post by skymeadow »

James twinli wrote:Great to know about this, Highly appreciative post.
Huh? Sorry, I do not understand your non sequitur reply. Do you know how to fix the problem? Is it a bug and you are a developer glad to receive a precise bug report? Do you want to have the Mac-like window interface on your Mint too?

Really baffled,

Sky Meadow
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

Spam deleted!
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

Sky, have you tried changing the window theme to something else then back to Mint-X? Maybe log out and log back in as well.
skymeadow

Post by skymeadow »

Yes!!!! Thank you for the suggestion, it worked.

Sky
kiswa

Re: SOLVED: Minimize, Restore, Close replaced by colored dot

Post by kiswa »

Also, for future readers,

Code: Select all

Alt+F2
then type

Code: Select all

r
and hit Enter will restart gnome-shell and reload your themes (without requiring a log-off/on cycle).

Return to “Software & Applications”