Add option to Mint Welcome Screen to install i686-pae kernel

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Add option to Mint Welcome Screen to install i686-pae kernel

Post by nunol »

32bit LMDE Suggestion: Add option to Mint Welcome Screen to install i686-pae kernel

The (Debian Linux) i486 kernel supports 4GB of RAM and 1 CPU thread, the i686-pae kernel supports 64GB of RAM and 32 CPU threads. Source.

By default LMDE 32bit uses the i486 (non pae) kernel but the i686-pae kernel is available in the repos.

That's good because:
- Users of non pae CPU's can boot, install and run LMDE. This includes some otherwise still capable Pentium M CPU's.
- Users of pae CPU's can boot, install and run LMDE and if needed or desired can install the i686-pae kernel from the repos.
- The other way around wouldn't work for non pae CPU's because LMDE would fail to boot.

That's bad because:
- Some users don't know about this and/or are not comfortable installing the i686-pae kernel and as such can't use their hardware to the maximum with LMDE 32bit.

To allow users to install the i686-pae kernel with one click the 32bit LMDE Mint Welcome Screen could check the CPU for pae support and if supported show (flashing if necessary) the option to install the i686-pae kernel and a small text about why they should do it.

Another way is to add to the LMDE installer the option to select the kernel to install.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Add option to Mint Welcome Screen to install i686-pae ke

Post by xenopeek »

As this is an idea, moving it here. You might also want to submit this to the Community website as an idea.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”