Second HD problems [SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pico77

Second HD problems [SOLVED]

Post by pico77 »

Dear All

I installed e second sata HD in my PC. I have two questions:

1. the HD was never used, it's a 2TB WD green caviar. I created msdos partition tables (is that ok?) and then I formatted to ext4. Without any activity on the disk it results that about 24GB of space are already in use? Is that possible? Does partition information take all that space?

3. I'll use the disk as a media device, so I want it mounting into my home directory. I created the directory /home/pietro/arxiv and then I added the following line to the fstab

Code: Select all

/dev/sdb1  /home/pietro/arxiv  ext4  defaults,users  0 1
now I can see the disk mounted in /home/pietro/arxiv but I I have a strange thing in my Caja right pannel. If you have a look to the attached 01.png you'll see both HD1 (which is the disk label) and arxiv disk which does not result mounted on. If I click on HD1 it's ok. But if I click on arxiv I get the message box in picture 02.png

I wonder whether I did something wrong in my fstab, is my mounting done right, how can I remove that problem from caja?

Best Regards
Pietro
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Second HD problems

Post by altair4 »

Unmount the partition you mounted through Nautilus:

sudo umount /media/HD2
Then run the following command to mount the partition. If there are any error messages post them:

sudo mount -a
Note1: Your description says it's label is HD1 but the screenshot says HD2 so I'm assuming it's HD2.

Note2: You really don't want the "users" option - it won't do any harm but I suspect it's not doing what you think it's doing.

Note3: If this is a newly formatted partition you will need to take possession of it to use it unless you've already done that:

sudo chown pietro /home/pietro/arxiv
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
pico77

Post by pico77 »

altair4 wrote:Unmount the partition you mounted through Nautilus:

sudo umount /media/HD2
Then run the following command to mount the partition. If there are any error messages post them:

sudo mount -a
Note1: Your description says it's label is HD1 but the screenshot says HD2 so I'm assuming it's HD2.

thanks it is now ok!

So do you think that msdos partition tables for ext4 disks are ok?

Best
Pietro
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

So do you think that msdos partition tables for ext4 disks are ok?
Yes that's the standard way of setting them up. The only issue with them is that there is a size limitation on the partitions itself - If I remember correctly it's 2.2TB. But that doesn't really come into play very often. If one were to install a 3TB hard drive it's unlikely there would be a 3TB partition in it. It's more likely there would be many partitions created within it all of them much smaller than 2.2 TB.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Storage”