mintmenu search suggestions on debian not appearing

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
squeeze

mintmenu search suggestions on debian not appearing

Post by squeeze »

By following some online guides and resolving all the listed dependencies, I've managed to install mintmenu onto both Squeeze (gnome 2 / mintmenu 5.2.4) and Wheezy (mate / mintmenu 5.3.2 and 5.3.7).

However, in all instances the search suggestions (Google, wikipedia, dictionary, packages) do not appear at all. I can see how they should work when using the official LMDE but I get a blank panel when trying this on a vanilla Debian install. I've tried to work out what packages are being called by searching for clues, e.g. I can see from the python script that apturl is used for package searching although it seems like even that doesn't appear after installing it.

I've only used the official Debian, Mint and Mate repositories and spent several hours trying to fix this but this Linux newbie is stumped...

what's missing / the unlisted dependency?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: mintmenu search suggestions on debian not appearing

Post by viking777 »

I have moved this to a slightly more appropriate part of the forum, but you realise of course that this is not a Debian forum so I don't know what kind of answers you are going to get. I realise also that if you post the question on a Debian forum they will simply say that they don't support Mint tools so you are between a rock and a hard place :lol:

One thing is for certain though, you are not a newbie, so don't post any more topics in that part of the forum :wink:

The other thing is (and this is purely unofficial - just my opinion you understand) I find it amazing that anybody finds those search suggestions remotely useful, they actually annoy me, if I had wanted to search google or wikipedia I would have opened my browser not my program menu. Still we are all different aren't we :)
squeeze

Re: mintmenu search suggestions on debian not appearing

Post by squeeze »

Sorry for not finding this dedicated section of the forum, hope that those who might help can find it too!

I am new to Linux though, just have lots of experience elsewhere and done a massive amount of research before coming to the conclusion if I want a Debian based install just the way I want it... I should start with Debian as my base and just add the bits I want.

The dictionary search I see as the most useful to have at the ready but the web searches can be customized to my needs without inherent knowledge of Mint as searching for words inside text files is an obvious process... if only I could do this on my minimal Debian install!

Return to “Software & Applications”