[solved] Gnome shell 3.4 freezes frequently

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
signalat2

[solved] Gnome shell 3.4 freezes frequently

Post by signalat2 »

I did a clean install of Mint 13 64bit Cinnamon, but it is so unstable as it freezes couple times a day. So I removed cinnamon and installed gnome shell 3.4. At the beginning it appears to be more stable than cinnamon. But after a week's use (installed themes, eclipse, virtualbox, dropbox, that's all the software I installed addition to those come with mint), it now freezes couple times a day as well. When it freezes, no hot key is working, all I can do is turn off the power and reboot, that's really annoying. Now I have to use gnome fallback. Anybody know what could be wrong? I already tried to disable all shell extensions, but no big difference. It still freezes randomly. My laptop is Thinkpad x230, it comes with intel graphic card. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Gnome shell 3.4 freezes frequently

Post by remoulder »

[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
signalat2

Re: Gnome shell 3.4 freezes frequently

Post by signalat2 »

Thanks but that doesn't solve my problem.

Actually, it turns out to be the bug in kinux kernel 3.2 which comes with Ubuntu 12.04 which Linux mint baed on. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/993187

Upgrade the kernel to 3.4. And have not seen one system freeze for couple of days use now.

Return to “Software & Applications”