Is mintUpdate synchronized with Synaptic updates?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Is mintUpdate synchronized with Synaptic updates?

Postby lunatico on Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:28 am

Hello,

Forgive me if this is a dumb question but I'm confused with this.

So LM has it's own Update Manager which is very nice and works very well. But I just noticed today that my systems appears to be up-to-date according to Update Manager (it has a green check mark icon). But if I go into Synaptic is see there's a few packages that have a bang (!) icon which I think means they can be marked for upgrade.
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (65.52 KiB) Viewed 1135 times

So my question is: is mintUpdate in-line or synchronized with Synaptic or do they work separately?

The reason I ask is because I'm troubleshooting a problem that involves xserver and the fix seems to be on the xserver-xorg-input-evdev package. Mint's Update Manager does not report this package as a candidate for update but on Synaptic it looks like I can mark it for update. So before I go updating packages I though I'd ask to clarify and to ultimately understand this.

Thanks!
lunatico
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Is mintUpdate synchronized with Synaptic updates?

Postby HughT on Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:30 am

hi lunatico, I guess it would depend upon which level of upgrades you have selected in the Mint Update Manager preferences. Check that out first. regards
Please Edit your post title and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.
HughT
Level 5
Level 5

Postby lunatico on Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:01 am

HughT wrote:hi lunatico, I guess it would depend upon which level of upgrades you have selected in the Mint Update Manager preferences. Check that out first. regards

I haven't changed it so I suppose it's the defaults. It looks like I have level 1, 2 and 3 on.
Screenshot1.png
Screenshot1.png (49.66 KiB) Viewed 1125 times
lunatico
Level 2
Level 2

Postby squeezy on Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:30 am

Checkmark "Visible" under levels 4 and 5 and you'll see the same updates that Synaptic shows. Synaptic has no restrictions on what it shows.

Marking 4 and 5 as visible will allow them to be seen in Update Manager but not selected by default.
squeezy
Level 5
Level 5

Postby lunatico on Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:38 am

squeezy wrote:Checkmark "Visible" under levels 4 and 5 and you'll see the same updates that Synaptic shows. Synaptic has no restrictions on what it shows.

Marking 4 and 5 as visible will allow them to be seen in Update Manager but not selected by default.

Thanks very much, that makes sense.
lunatico
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Software & Applications