Is mintUpdate synchronized with Synaptic updates?

Questions about mintUpdate
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Is mintUpdate synchronized with Synaptic updates?

Postby lunatico on Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:28 am

Hello,

Forgive me if this is a dumb question but I'm confused with this.

So LM has it's own Update Manager which is very nice and works very well. But I just noticed today that my systems appears to be up-to-date according to Update Manager (it has a green check mark icon). But if I go into Synaptic is see there's a few packages that have a bang (!) icon which I think means they can be marked for upgrade.
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (65.52 KiB) Viewed 966 times

So my question is: is mintUpdate in-line or synchronized with Synaptic or do they work separately?

The reason I ask is because I'm troubleshooting a problem that involves xserver and the fix seems to be on the xserver-xorg-input-evdev package. Mint's Update Manager does not report this package as a candidate for update but on Synaptic it looks like I can mark it for update. So before I go updating packages I though I'd ask to clarify and to ultimately understand this.

Thanks!
lunatico
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Is mintUpdate synchronized with Synaptic updates?

Postby HughT on Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:30 am

hi lunatico, I guess it would depend upon which level of upgrades you have selected in the Mint Update Manager preferences. Check that out first. regards
Please Edit your post title and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.
HughT
Level 5
Level 5

Postby lunatico on Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:01 am

HughT wrote:hi lunatico, I guess it would depend upon which level of upgrades you have selected in the Mint Update Manager preferences. Check that out first. regards

I haven't changed it so I suppose it's the defaults. It looks like I have level 1, 2 and 3 on.
Screenshot1.png
Screenshot1.png (49.66 KiB) Viewed 956 times
lunatico
Level 2
Level 2

Postby squeezy on Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:30 am

Checkmark "Visible" under levels 4 and 5 and you'll see the same updates that Synaptic shows. Synaptic has no restrictions on what it shows.

Marking 4 and 5 as visible will allow them to be seen in Update Manager but not selected by default.
squeezy
Level 5
Level 5

Postby lunatico on Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:38 am

squeezy wrote:Checkmark "Visible" under levels 4 and 5 and you'll see the same updates that Synaptic shows. Synaptic has no restrictions on what it shows.

Marking 4 and 5 as visible will allow them to be seen in Update Manager but not selected by default.

Thanks very much, that makes sense.
lunatico
Level 2
Level 2

Return to mintUpdate