Wait.. will MATE be in Mint 14? Confused...

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hoppimike

Wait.. will MATE be in Mint 14? Confused...

Post by hoppimike »

Just read this blog post...

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2094

Doesn't that suggest Gnome 2 (MATE) is ending? Or is there something here I'm misunderstanding?

I hope MATE does end relatively soon as I don't like it when people are like... stuck in the past! Move with the times people! I don't see you all using CDE or something xD

Anywho, sorry for my ignorance but I'd love some clarity on this :)

Hoppi
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Wait.. will MATE be in Mint 14? Confused...

Post by xenopeek »

Nope. Gnome 2 was last available on Linux Mint 11 (the Ubuntu based Linux Mint editions), and this blog post is announcing it will also no longer be available in LMDE (the Debian based Linux Mint editions). MATE is a fork of Gnome 2, but it is not Gnome 2 (a fork means, it is an independent copy of the source code). Gnome 2 is no longer maintained or developed, while MATE has an active team of maintainers and developers. No worries mate, MATE is here to stay :wink:
hoppimike

Post by hoppimike »

xenopeek wrote:Nope. Gnome 2 was last available on Linux Mint 11 (the Ubuntu based Linux Mint editions), and this blog post is announcing it will also no longer be available in LMDE (the Debian based Linux Mint editions). MATE is a fork of Gnome 2, but it is not Gnome 2 (a fork means, it is an independent copy of the source code). Gnome 2 is no longer maintained or developed, while MATE has an active team of maintainers and developers. No worries mate, MATE is here to stay :wink:
Actually I was hoping MATE was gonna be dropped xD

I know many people wouldn't like this but.. I like embracing the future :)

Unless of course that future is Ubuntu Unity. That needs to take a hike lol
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Oops. Sorry for missing you wanted to see MATE dropped. But that's not likely to happen, as MATE is an important DE for the users of Linux Mint (see outcome of Clem's poll on desktop environments: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 3&t=100787).

Use what works best for you :D
hoppimike

Post by hoppimike »

xenopeek wrote:Oops. Sorry for missing you wanted to see MATE dropped. But that's not likely to happen, as MATE is an important DE for the users of Linux Mint (see outcome of Clem's poll on desktop environments: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 3&t=100787).

Use what works best for you :D
Yah I love Cinnamon (new and revolutionary!), KDE (new and evolutionary!) and XFCE (great for older machines) :)

But, if other people like MATE, then that's good they can still choose it!

Do remember though that support for Gnome 2 (or derivatives) is falling away across the board...
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

hoppimike wrote:Do remember though that support for Gnome 2 (or derivatives) is falling away across the board...
Yes, for derivatives, not for forks. That's independent code worked on outside of the GNOME developer community.
jdeca57

Post by jdeca57 »

Confused, indeed. Mate is supported in Fedora 18, and that makes me think that there are a lot of people using it. As I am. It's stable, to say the least and it is familiar. I'm still not certain weather the new (well, not too old) Ubuntu dash is the right way for a normal desktop. And I'm totally confused about Windows 8. But Mate? It just works. And isn't that what counts?
hoppimike

Post by hoppimike »

jdeca57 wrote:Confused, indeed. Mate is supported in Fedora 18, and that makes me think that there are a lot of people using it. As I am. It's stable, to say the least and it is familiar. I'm still not certain weather the new (well, not too old) Ubuntu dash is the right way for a normal desktop. And I'm totally confused about Windows 8. But Mate? It just works. And isn't that what counts?
But Cinnamon works now too. And so does XFCE. "Just working"... is that really all you want from your OS? heh :)

Linux is beyond "just working" now lol ^^
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

ah but cinnamon don't work on all hardware configurations if your graphics ar not up to it it defaults to mate
hoppimike

Post by hoppimike »

The-Wizard wrote:ah but cinnamon don't work on all hardware configurations if your graphics ar not up to it it defaults to mate
But then couldn't the person just use XFCE if their hardware is old?

I mean, I guess XFCE isn't quite as developed in some ways as MATE but... I dunno, it just feels like sticking around in the past too much. I mean all the apps had to be forked because they've all moved to Gnome 3! :shock:
w2ibc

Post by w2ibc »

hoppimike wrote:
The-Wizard wrote:ah but cinnamon don't work on all hardware configurations if your graphics ar not up to it it defaults to mate
But then couldn't the person just use XFCE if their hardware is old?
I been using xfce and my hardware isnt old... I just rather have a real desktop instead of a crappy tablet interface and something very light.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”