Update Packs not static?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
appye
Level 2
Level 2

Update Packs not static?

Post by appye »

Hello,

I have built quite a few systems for myself, friends and family that are based on the latest repo's for about a year now. I do not install LMDE. What I do is install debian stable, upgrade to the LMDE latest repositories and build from there. For the last few weeks at least I have not been able to complete the process with icedtea-plugin. I get this:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
icedtea-plugin : Depends: openjdk-6-jre but it is not going to be installed
Depends: icedtea-netx (= 1.1.4-1) but it is not going to be installed

I have built quite a few times against the UP4 repos and this has not happened before... So what is going on? I was under the impression that the update packs remain static between versions. I realize this is not a standard LMDE build, but I was hoping someone can shed some light on this... Thanks.

My sources.list:

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import
deb-src http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import

deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest testing main contrib non-free
deb-src http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest testing main contrib non-free

deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/security testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/security testing/updates main contrib non-free

deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/multimedia testing main non-free
deb-src http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/multimedia testing main non-free
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ketoth

Re: Update Packs not static?

Post by ketoth »

Your sources.list is ok.
On my LMDE UP4, "default-jre" gets OpenJDK6, icedtea-netx installed, but icedtea-plugin not installed.

update-alternatives --display java
-> /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/java

No problem installing "icedtea-plugin".
-> there is no "icedtea7-plugin" (conflict between OpenJDK6 and OpenJDK7 components). You may want to totally remove the 7 and go for the 6, and try "icedtea6-plugin" if "icedtea-plugin" keeps noisy.
Try: sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get check, look for broken packages with Synaptic, ..

Everything here is provided on the debian repository unchanged since UP4 release, so to your question "Update Packs not static?" the response is "no" :)
appye
Level 2
Level 2

Post by appye »

Okay, but something must have happened. I have not changed my build procedure at all and now I cannot install icedtea-plugin whereas three months ago I was able to no problem. I am typing this from a machine that was installed using the exact same procedure to the letter in April and it has icedtea-plugin ... it pulled in the following packages:

icedtea-6-jre-cacao
icedtea-6-jre-jamvm
icetea-netx
icedtea-netx-common

The installation command was:

apt-get install icedtea-plugin

It is working... So why do I get errors with this? The only thing I can think of is that there was a change in the repositories.
ketoth

Post by ketoth »

appye wrote:The only thing I can think of is that there was a change in the repositories.
Well the only change I can think about the debian repository is that you could have got the package info while they worked on it to prepare the update pack 5. I don't think it could be related to "ca-certificates-java", it's plain identical.

I'm trying to reproduce this on a VM:
- netinstall of Debian stable
- LMDE latest repository
- "mintification" install
- check of icedtea-plugin

EDIT: failed, hard times to "mintify" :/
appye
Level 2
Level 2

Post by appye »

hard times to mintify? You got the same error? I install a non-gui debian stable, selecting only the "print server," "ssh server," and the standard packages at the package selector... I have done it this way for years. Now, after dist-upgrading with my sources list, and a reboot, I get the same errors consistently on both 32 and 64 bit installs.

apt-get install icedtea-plugin
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

icedtea-plugin : Depends: openjdk-6-jre but it is not going to be installed
Depends: icedtea-netx (= 1.1.4-1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

apt-get install default-jre
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

default-jre : Depends: default-jre-headless (= 1:1.6-47) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: openjdk-6-jre (>= 6b23~pre8-2~) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

Would default-jre even install a browser plugin?

Anyway, since my procedure has not changed, and it worked perfectly with the exact same sources.list in April, it leads me to conclude that the REPOSITORY has changed somehow. What else could it be?
ketoth

Post by ketoth »

appye wrote:hard times to mintify? You got the same error?
Didn't even got to this point, I broke it quite hard while apt-get upgrade from Mint's Debian repo while APT got to refuse any Mint metapackage installation :roll: Kinda ashamed of myself.
Do you use a script ? Could you post your "mintification" process so that I can try to reproduce it exactly step by step ?
appye
Level 2
Level 2

Post by appye »

okay. I don't script it. Here is my process.

1 - install debian stable (using netinstall), deselect graphical user environment (or whatever it is) at package selection, select ssh server
2 - make sources list exactly as I have shown
3 - COMMAND - echo "Acquire::Check-Valid-Until \"false\";" > /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/80update-debian
4 - COMMAND - apt-get update
5 - COMMAND - apt-get install linuxmint-keyring debian-multimedia-keyring
6 - COMMAND - apt-get update
7 - COMMAND - apt-get dist-upgrade
8 - REBOOT when finished
9 - COMMAND - apt-get install icedtea-plugin

This will reproduce the same problem consistently. I just ran through it in a VM... Normally, I have a few more steps where I install screen if I am going to continue the install from my own laptop using ssh. Normally I do "apt-get install gamin rsync sudo xfce4" beforehand but that does not affect whether or not this new error occurs. Also, normally I install my system (including icedtea-plugin) from a file with a list of packages. The command used here is, "apt-get install $(cat /path/to/file)" ... None of the things mentioned in this paragraph have any bearing on this new error. LAST APRIL I WOULD HAVE BEEN ABLE TO RUN THIS WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS.

EDIT: I think I have it figured out ... I tried it with aptitude and it asked me if I wanted to downgrade tzdata. This got me thinking. REPOSITORIES HAVE CHANGED! Debian STABLE repositories! I am trying an install from static media (a full installation capable iso file versus netinstall) and will post how it goes. I am thinking this will work.

WOO HOO! It worked. I guess I will not be doing any more netinstalls for making my "LDMebian" systems... I guess the rule of thumb would be to make sure that whatever iso I use from debian stable should predate the LMDE UP by a month or so...
ketoth

Post by ketoth »

appye wrote: I tried it with aptitude and it asked me if I wanted to downgrade tzdata. This got me thinking. REPOSITORIES HAVE CHANGED! Debian STABLE repositories!
Oh yeah. "2012c-0squeeze1" on stable squeeze but "2012b-1" on latest mint.
Maybe safer to mintify lenny :roll: (just kidding, would be a mess)

Return to “LMDE Archive”