Moving to KDE from Cinnamon/Mate on Maya

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
beskal

Moving to KDE from Cinnamon/Mate on Maya

Post by beskal »

Hi,

Do I have to download and install Maya KDE instead of adding some repository of package?
If just via apt-get, which package I have to install?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ashfaq

Re: Moving to KDE from Cinnamon/Mate on Maya

Post by ashfaq »

I am too wondering if we could take a feel of latest kde from "ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports" please help if this is feasable so that we can try out! Any help from members is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
LivingColour

Post by LivingColour »

I added it through Synaptic Package Manager. Just search for KDE and it will add all the other required packages. I am not a big fan of this version of KDE, but it is nice to have.
beskal

Re: Re: Moving to KDE from Cinnamon/Mate on Maya

Post by beskal »

LivingColour wrote:I added it through Synaptic Package Manager. Just search for KDE and it will add all the other required packages. I am not a big fan of this version of KDE, but it is nice to have.

Yup. Finally I did that too.
Tried out the kde but painfully slow. Revert back to mate.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
Mushorwell

Post by Mushorwell »

beskal wrote:
LivingColour wrote:I added it through Synaptic Package Manager. Just search for KDE and it will add all the other required packages. I am not a big fan of this version of KDE, but it is nice to have.

Yup. Finally I did that too.
Tried out the kde but painfully slow. Revert back to mate.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
That is rather surprising! What version of KDE did you install on mint Maya?

I use Linux Mint Debian Edition but pointed my repos to the Debian wheezy for the more recent KDE 4.8. It's working great for me, even faster and more responsive than cinnamon and gnome. It is now the main DE I use with AwesomeWM as my backup for times when it DOES get sluggish.
My laptop is a 2008 emachines d620 with 3 gig ram, amd athlon processor 1.6Ghz. My KDE version is 4.8.4 and the graphics driver I'm using is ATI RS690M [Radeon X1200 Series]. With my lower end laptop KDE runs almost flawlessly most of the time. When it does become a bit sluggish chances are that the Desktop Search File Indexing (Nepomuk) is running and simply terminating it will instantly speed up KDE. Otherwise as I mentioned before in my experience it's much lighter than cinnamon/gnome 3 ironically. (I always thought of KDE as the sluggish and bloated DE - Earlier versions of KDE couldn't even function normally on my laptop using opengl, yet opengl was meant to be faster than krunner. KWin would crash at least once every time I would log into kde and switch to the fallback mode with those ugly black borders. Now however I find it to be the most usable next generation linux DE as opposed to Gnome and Unity. )

Perhaps I'm now going a bit offtopic but I just want to point out that on my laptop KDE does get sluggish, but this only occurs when I am not connected to the internet, I however experience the same problem with Cinnamon and Gnome, I don't know why, but when I'm not connected they become extremely slow as if they need the internet in order to function properly. Has anyone else encountered such problems especially with these new-gen DE's kde, gnome or unity?
Fajah

Post by Fajah »

When I originally installed KDE over Mint 12, it seemed quite slow so I stayed with Mate. I then tried all the Mint 13 DE's off the CD's and decided to try KDE again, but this time using a clean install. I find it to be quite fast and very stable. I'm a relatively new Linux user and have found that clean installs are the way to go.
Mushorwell

Post by Mushorwell »

Fajah wrote:When I originally installed KDE over Mint 12, it seemed quite slow so I stayed with Mate. I then tried all the Mint 13 DE's off the CD's and decided to try KDE again, but this time using a clean install. I find it to be quite fast and very stable. I'm a relatively new Linux user and have found that clean installs are the way to go.
You may be right about that, it's hard but it seems to be the truth. I however am not in a position to do a fresh install I also feel when I do decide to make a fresh install I'll probably try out Mandriva which is said to have much better kde support though it'll be sad to leave mint and I would probably miss it. Whatever the issue I experience on kde is the same for gnome and therefore cinnamon, so sadly I cannot proudly showoff these beautiful DE unless I am connected to a network and possibly the internet. I have no clue what the connection is but seems the problem may be even as far as the kernel or something in the source. I have managed to find good fallback support by using AwesomeWM. I also have openbox which I have been recommended a couple of times now and am feeling inclined to try it out.
Fajah

Post by Fajah »

Mushorwell wrote:I also have openbox which I have been recommended a couple of times now and am feeling inclined to try it out.
Interesting that you mentioned Openbox. I haven't played around with alternative window managers because I generally leave well enough alone. However, I just installed Openbox via the the Synaptic Package Manager. Openbox for KDE works amazingly well and here's what I've found so far:

1) My basic desktop settings weren't changed (good thing) but I had to readjust some fonts and colours.
2) There's a noticeable difference in speed. I was happy with how KDE worked out of the box (as I've mentioned earlier), but this is even better IMO.

Glad you mentioned Openbox, thanks :)
Fajah

Post by Fajah »

Further to my previous post, I noticed that my application menu disappeared completely in using Openbox. I couldn't find a way to get it back so I had to uninstall Openbox. Everything is back to normal. It's too bad because I liked the speed.
Fajah

Post by Fajah »

Reinstalled Openbox to see what happens with the apps menu. It's now back. Openbox/KDE is now working fine.... and fast :)
wearetheborg

Post by wearetheborg »

Fajah wrote:When I originally installed KDE over Mint 12, it seemed quite slow so I stayed with Mate. I then tried all the Mint 13 DE's off the CD's and decided to try KDE again, but this time using a clean install. I find it to be quite fast and very stable. I'm a relatively new Linux user and have found that clean installs are the way to go.

Hmmm, another possibility is that KDE in Mint 12 was slow.

Is there anyone here who installed Mint 13 Mate/Cinnamon, and then installed KDE packages, and found KDE to be slow as compared to a fresh Mint 13 KDE install?

Return to “Software & Applications”