What does 'Secrets' Mean?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
robw

What does 'Secrets' Mean?

Post by robw »

I have LM13 KDE installed and its generally good - one immediate improvement is that Bluetooth works faultlessly both ways, something I never achieved on my laptop with the main edition!! I have a question which is worrying me though, - what is the 'secrets...' box which appears apparently randomly, especially during a long download. It stops the wireless connection and does not respond to either the system or the KDE Wallet password (or indeed the wireless password). I've been through the documentation but cant find anything. Is this a normal feature of KDE? If so can I turn it off? My worry is that it is something more sinister, and I've given it all my passwords....!! :?

Thanks for any help you guys can offer!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
J_C

Re: What does 'Secrets' Mean?

Post by J_C »

Nah Mate, nothing sinister..... but I'm not sure why it keeps appearing, is your wireless signal a little flakey?

I seem to remember only seeing it a couple of times and only when connected with wireless and I'm pretty sure mine responds to my wifi key, next time it happens try entering your wifi key first.
robw

Post by robw »

Thanks J-C, you keep coming to my rescue, for which I'm grateful!

My wireless is fine, I think, but I dream of flakey broadband - my data packets come by carrier pidgeon when the wind is favourable (I live in northern scotland and the distance to the nearest exchange is measured in light-minutes rather than miles! Sounds to me that both wireless and data issues could produce the same result, so I'll try as you suggest - just glad to hear its part of the KDE package and therefore meant to happen!

Think I might get in touch with the KDE devs and see if they can make it a little more obvious what this means - I've used LM with Gnome and Cinnamon for years and never encountered anything like it.

Thanks again, :D
J_C

Post by J_C »

Haha, well I suppose living somewher as remotley beautiful as Northern Scotland has to have it's downside!

No worries with the help. Though my knowledge is, and always will be, rather vague!... Even more so with KDE as I'm new to it too.

Do you auto-login at boot? I seem to remember from Gnome that using auto-login caused gnome-keyring to hassle for passwords, perhaps stopping would make all this go away! (Under Gnome your password opens the keyring upon login).

You could try stopping network manager from storing your wifi key in kwallet;

Click your wirelss icon, select 'manage connections' then 'other'
Change 'Store connection secrets' to 'In file (unencrypted)'

Still getting hassled?

Perhaps set a blank password for kwallet which will stop it from asking, this does mean anyone with physical access to your computer would have access to your stored passwords. (Firefox's password manager is seperate so I imagine safe)
The same would apply if you were remotely hacked, but then how likely is that!? …... By the sounds of it they'd probably get bored with your internet connection anyway! :wink:

alt+F2 , search and open kwallet manager, right click on kdewallet and select change password. Enter your login password and then confirm new blank password.

Though please do note, I'm not fully aware of the security issues of a blank password. I'm half expecting someone to wade in...

NOOOO! NEVER LEAVE YOUR WALLET OPEN!

Actually now I put it like that, I'm not sure about it either! :lol:
robw

Post by robw »

Yeah, it certainly is beautiful - gives you somethig to look at while low-def video is buffering!!

I don't auto-login and, funnily enough, I've not been hassled since I posted the question, although I was quite frequently before that. Nevertheless I've changed the network key to unencrypted storage as you suggest, we'll see how that goes.

Quite liking KDE. I've tried it before and always preferred Gnome. Moved from there to Cinnamon which is really polished - almost boringly so though. I'm enjoying messing about with all the configuration options in KDE which are lacking in cinnamon (which is just as well cos I dislike almost all the KDE defaults!!)

Once again, many thanks for the help!

Return to “Software & Applications”