Some people do not like linux

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
eliot-p

Some people do not like linux

Post by eliot-p »

Hi guys,
I installed Linux mint on my laptop but for some reason some hackers who do not like Linux tried to not let me use the internet and locked my hard drive and i had to uninstall them again and i am back to windows now :D .
I am not sure who they are that did not want me not to use Linux. They took over Linux OS i think or the network cards so that i would not use internet with Linux.
I am still using the same hard drive and i want to attempt to use them again but i am afraid they will attack me again.
They have done service denial or something else i am not sure.
What can i do next time i install Linux Mint so that i would be able to use them and not just download them and keep them on the disc and not being trucked by them?
by the way i did apply the firewall rules but they got in and it did not have any effect.
thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
igor83

Re: Some people do not like linux

Post by igor83 »

eliot-p wrote:Hi guys,
I installed Linux mint on my laptop but for some reason some hackers who do not like Linux tried to not let me use the internet and locked my hard drive and i had to uninstall them again and i am back to windows now :D .
I am not sure who they are that did not want me not to use Linux. They took over Linux OS i think or the network cards so that i would not use internet with Linux.
I am still using the same hard drive and i want to attempt to use them again but i am afraid they will attack me again.
What can i do next time i install Linux Mint so that i would be able to use them and not just download them and keep them on the disc and not being trucked by them?
by the way i did apply the firewall rules but they got in and it did not have any effect.
thank you
I had a similar experience after I installed Linux. I saw these lights moving above my head, heard a whirring sound, and then a teacup-sized spaceship landed atop my monitor. Out came four tiny green men. I don't know whether they were from the Linux Mint organization, but they were green. They took my mouse away and then flew off. Please tell me how to adjust my firewall settings to prevent this from happening again.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Moved to Open Chat by Moderator (Because it was just too darn funny to delete). :lol:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
lexon

Post by lexon »

LOL

L
Rudemeister

Post by Rudemeister »

Doing Coo Coo Coo Coo Doing Coo Coo
eliot-p

Post by eliot-p »

igor83 wrote:
eliot-p wrote:Hi guys,
thank you
I had a similar experience after I installed Linux. I saw these lights moving above my head, heard a whirring sound, and then a teacup-sized spaceship landed atop my monitor. Out came four tiny green men. I don't know whether they were from the Linux Mint organization, but they were green. They took my mouse away and then flew off. Please tell me how to adjust my firewall settings to prevent this from happening again.
lol its not funny, but reality....only linux engineers would understand that. basically they controll the installation or during the time i am installing linux. after i install them i get an error the drivers are taking a while to mount your home.... and the other one is "broken pipe" which i do not know what it is and i am not able to connect to the internet.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Unable to connect to the Internet can have two obvious reasons. One is your ethernet or wireless device needs some additionally steps to get the device working, beyond just installing Linux Mint. This happens often if you have devices from manufacturers that don't support their devices on Linux, and if these devices are less commonly used by Linux users (making it less likely one of the Linux kernel hackers will have written a device driver for it, in lieu of the manufacturer doing this). The other is if you need to use a proxy server to connect to the Internet on the network you are on, for example as needed on most corporate networks.

If you want support with getting your Internet connection working, we'd be happy to help. The likelihood of you having being hacked during installation is so small you can assume it to be zero (especially if you couldn't connect to the Internet :wink:). It is also unlikely, though not unfeasible, that your installation medium had been tampered with (you can authenticate a downloaded iso against the MD5 sum provided on the downloaded page to make sure it wasn't tampered with, and that your download wasn't damaged somehow while downloading). Like I shared above, it is much more likely you are unable to connect to the Internet because your ethernet or wireless device needed additional configuration, or you need to use a proxy server to connect to the Internet on your network.

Booting from the Linux Mint installation medium on the system you had the problem with, opening a terminal and running the command:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fx
and sharing its output here will give us some details about your hardware. If you would be connecting to the Internet through wireless, also run the following command and share its output:

mintwifi
All that said, if you are happy using Windows, also good. Use whatever works best for you :D
eliot-p

Post by eliot-p »

xenopeek wrote:Unable to connect to the Internet can have two obvious reasons. One is your ethernet or wireless device needs some additionally steps to get the device working, beyond just installing Linux Mint. This happens often if you have devices from manufacturers that don't support their devices on Linux, and if these devices are less commonly used by Linux users (making it less likely one of the Linux kernel hackers will have written a device driver for it, in lieu of the manufacturer doing this). The other is if you need to use a proxy server to connect to the Internet on the network you are on, for example as needed on most corporate networks.

If you want support with getting your Internet connection working, we'd be happy to help. The likelihood of you having being hacked during installation is so small you can assume it to be zero (especially if you couldn't connect to the Internet :wink:). It is also unlikely, though not unfeasible, that your installation medium had been tampered with (you can authenticate a downloaded iso against the MD5 sum provided on the downloaded page to make sure it wasn't tampered with, and that your download wasn't damaged somehow while downloading). Like I shared above, it is much more likely you are unable to connect to the Internet because your ethernet or wireless device needed additional configuration, or you need to use a proxy server to connect to the Internet on your network.

Booting from the Linux Mint installation medium on the system you had the problem with, opening a terminal and running the command:

inxi -Fx
and sharing its output here will give us some details about your hardware. If you would be connecting to the Internet through wireless, also run the following command and share its output:

mintwifi
All that said, if you are happy using Windows, also good. Use whatever works best for you :D
Vincent thank you for your help. let me describe it properly and what has happened exactly.
I was able to use the Internet when I first installed Linux mint but after a while I was not able to get on line. My wireless card is provided by broadcom so it is compatible because I am still using a different distro of Linux but not Linux mint because as I said I can not get on line even though I like Linux mint. It could be a case of when I download the OS they might have tempted to do something during the download and that might be the reason why they can control the installation. They do something during the time when Linux mint is being installed that disables network drivers drivers. Have a look at my laptop and you or any engineer would be able to see their ip addresses.
I would love to get Linux mint back to work but it seems I need to do another download a clean one and try reinstall them again along side the other Linux distro I am using now which is Ubuntu.

After a while I installed windows and what they were doing... they disabled my Internet security that I was using which is ESET, disabled some of the services on windows, and I found out that my hard driver had been locked and controlled remotely. After that they were redirecting me to pissing sites and pretending that the ip address were coming from simantec or verisign and when I visited these sites they would add things on shopping chart like I had added them and on the certificate I always got an error like the certificate was untrusted. I subscribed to go-trused a VPN so I can be safe on line but was useless as they had control over windows and would do what ever they wanted and access was denied by me because they had the access to windows. They took all my passwords and emails etc etc when I was using windows. On my windows account I was not the administrator but a user, I did not have administrative privileges on windows etc etc. I reported it to simantec and as soon as I did all was fine for a while I am not sure if they traced them or not or nailed them cos they will do it to others.
I am now using Ubuntu as I said and so far I have not had any problems, will see, but I like linux mint and thats the one I want to reinstall back on my laptop.

As I stated above there is nothing wrong with my network cards wired or the wireless one because I had used Linux mint before and now I am using Ubuntu.
By the way I am not happy using windows never have been.
By the way, before I install Linux mint again, I will delete the partition of the old Linux mind I still have on my laptop but I am not sure which one is the Ubuntu one and which one is the Linux mint one. Can you help me on that please so that I do not delete the Ubuntu partition during the installation of Linux mint? How can find out exactly before I reinstall Linux mint? Also I am not able to connect using a VPN with Ubuntu using go-trusted and I have all the details cos they gave it to me but somehow I cannot connect to the VPN.
Vincent, thank you very much for your help and I look forward from others to participate as this might happened to anyone.
Soon I will report this to the police so that they can take measures.
eliot
Last edited by eliot-p on Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eliot-p

Post by eliot-p »

xenopeek wrote: (you can authenticate a downloaded iso against the MD5 sum
By the way, how would i do this?
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

eliot-p wrote:
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/346
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

eliot-p wrote:By the way, before I install Linux mint again, I will delete the partition of the old Linux mind I still have on my laptop but I am not sure which one is the Ubuntu one and which one is the Linux mint one. Can you help me on that please so that I do not delete the Ubuntu partition during the installation of Linux mint? How can find out exactly before I reinstall Linux mint?
You can delete the Linux Mint partition from the Linux Mint installation DVD, before you start the installation. To do so, you would start GParted, the tool to edit partitions.

Now, to be sure which partition you would need to delete, I suggest you boot into Ubuntu and give us the output of the following commands. It will tell us the layout of your partitions, and will tell us which partitions Ubuntu is using. That combined will let us tell you which partitions to delete that contain Linux Mint 11.

sudo parted -l
(You will be asked to type your password, but no characters or feedback will appear on the screen. Just type your password, and press Enter to continue.)

grep ^/dev /etc/mtab
eliot-p

Post by eliot-p »

dagon wrote:
eliot-p wrote:
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/346
Thank you dragon.
eliot-p

Post by eliot-p »

xenopeek wrote:
eliot-p wrote:By the way, before I install Linux mint again, I will delete the partition of the old Linux mind I still have on my laptop but I am not sure which one is the Ubuntu one and which one is the Linux mint one. Can you help me on that please so that I do not delete the Ubuntu partition during the installation of Linux mint? How can find out exactly before I reinstall Linux mint?
You can delete the Linux Mint partition from the Linux Mint installation DVD, before you start the installation. To do so, you would start GParted, the tool to edit partitions.

Now, to be sure which partition you would need to delete, I suggest you boot into Ubuntu and give us the output of the following commands. It will tell us the layout of your partitions, and will tell us which partitions Ubuntu is using. That combined will let us tell you which partitions to delete that contain Linux Mint 11.

sudo parted -l
(You will be asked to type your password, but no characters or feedback will appear on the screen. Just type your password, and press Enter to continue.)

grep ^/dev /etc/mtab
Thank you Vincent, I did it. There is one partition that cannot be deleted called /dev/sda6 size 2.96 GiB and I am not sure who that belongs to? Does that belong to linux or those hackers?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Share the output with us please. You can do so by running both commands in the terminal, then selecting Edit > Select All and Edit > Copy from the terminal's menu. You can then paste it the copied text from the terminal in your reply post here.
eliot-p

Post by eliot-p »

xenopeek wrote:Share the output with us please. You can do so by running both commands in the terminal, then selecting Edit > Select All and Edit > Copy from the terminal's menu. You can then paste it the copied text from the terminal in your reply post here.
I could not see anything Vincent, i did run those commands and on the first command all i got was " this will be reported"
on the second command i do not remember but i did not see much text only one line and that's about it.
By the way i had to do another reformatting removing all partitions but i was not able to connect to internet again from ubuntu, i think they blocked the network cards again on ubuntu too while i was re-installing ubuntu again because i could not log in again to ubuntu, the session logged me out because there was genome remote control program installed on ubuntu which i did not install and i removed them and some other programs which controlled ips and i could not log back in to ubuntu so i had to do a fresh installation but again after that i was not able to use the internet again. after the installing ubuntu again i saw another partition which was not ubuntu one and i could not delet that either so i will do a fresh install again and get back here and see if i am able to connect to the internet.
eliot-p

Post by eliot-p »

Vincent, i have just installed ubuntu again and somehow they got in again and installed remote desck-top on my pc lol and i cannot install anything as a standart user because the password is not recocnised, if i log as admin i know they will install alot more, so i am not sure what to do. I want to install the terminal but i cannot so i can perform those commands.
this is what they have installed so far: Desktop Sharing, and remmia remote descktop client and i cannot remove them as a standart user.
eliot-p

Post by eliot-p »

now they have removed ubuntu sofware so that i cannot see it and see what they install lol
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Desktop Sharing and Remmia Remote Desktop Client are all applications that are installed by default on Ubuntu. You will not believe me again, but you are not being hacked. Meaning no disrespect, but it seems to me you are inexperienced with Linux. The problems you describe are just that, fixable problems. It may seem to you like you are being hacked, but you are just describing the symptoms of your ethernet or wireless card not working out-of-the-box on Linux. That happens. Not all hardware will work out-of-the-box on Linux, sometimes it needs a bit (or a lot) of configuration to get it working. Sometimes it works from the installation DVD, but not once installed. The same goes for the other problems, they are fixable problems though the symptoms can make one think one is being hacked.

Being a bit blunt perhaps, but do you have the option of involving an acquaintance who is using Linux, with the installation? If you don't know anybody else that uses Linux, you can search for a Linux User Group (LUG) in your area. They often have meetings that are open to all, and you can usually be helped with installing Linux there. You can inquire beforehand. The following link can be a start to find one in your area: http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Software/ ... ps/Europe/
lexon

Post by lexon »

You would do well to let people know your level of experience with Linux software.
How many different versions have you worked with?
I have been using Linux for ten years and have never seen what you claim to be experiencing.

L
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

I think you'd have a better chance at winning the lottery. If anything is being hacked and taken over on your computer
it's the windows partition. That happens frequently. 8)

Return to “Open Chat”