Partition Recommendation

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Partition Recommendation

Post by Husse »

How disaster?
Anyway when you come to the partitioning part of the install select manual partitioning
and create one partition about 10 GB for root (there's a drop down menu to do the selection of mount points as it's called) and the rest for home on a separate partition
Should be pretty straight forward
Use ext3 as file system - do not try to use fat or NTFS partitions for Linux - it won't work
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Husse wrote:How disaster?
Anyway when you come to the partitioning part of the install select manual partitioning
and create one partition about 10 GB for root (there's a drop down menu to do the selection of mount points as it's called) and the rest for home on a separate partition
Should be pretty straight forward
Use ext3 as file system - do not try to use fat or NTFS partitions for Linux - it won't work
Don't forget a SWAP partition for at least the size of your memory amount.
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
Husse

Post by Husse »

Thanks Zwopper - I forgot this is Newbie Questions
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

mumidadi wrote:Last 10GB drive is all free i can use it for Mint so i can make it like
2Gb swap
8GB ExT3

BUt selecting mount points is real Problem what mount points should i select?
8GB EXT3 mountpoint /
2Gb SWP mountpoint will set itself to /swap
Make sure you tick the format box for the / (root) -partition
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Post by atlef »

Screenshot--dev-sdb - GParted-1.png
This is what mine looks like at the moment.
Screenshot--dev-sdb - GParted-1.png
And this is my : "he whispered" Vista install. An install I've used the best part of the last SIX months to configure to my liking, and to make it run almost as smooth as xp used to. And it is possible.

atlef.
Fred

Post by Fred »

mumidadi,

Here is an exert that might help you.
Error 18

Error 18: Selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported by BIOS

This error is returned when a read is attempted at a linear block address beyond the end of the BIOS translated area. This generally happens if your disk is larger than the BIOS can handle (512MB for (E)IDE disks on older machines or larger than 8GB on others.). In more practical terms this means the BIOS is unable to start executing the kernel because the kernel is not located within the block it can access at boot up time.

This can be circumvented by creating a boot partition at the beginning of the disk that is completely within the first 1023 cylinders of the harddrive. This partition will contain the kernel.

The kernel itself does not suffer from the same limitations as the BIOS so after the BIOS has loaded the kernel the kernel will have no problem accessing the whole harddrive. Newer BIOSes will automatically translate the harddrives size in a way that it can be completely contained within the first 1023 cylinders and hence modern computers do not suffer from this problem.

The same error can happen when the BIOS detects a disk in a different way as Linux does. This can happen when changing motherboards or when moving a GRUB-bootable disk from one computer to another. If this happens, just boot with a GRUB floppy, read the C/H/S numbers from the existing partition table and manually edit the BIOS numbers to match.
The above was taken from the below url. if you want more information.

http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/GRUB

Enjoy,

Fred
Husse

Post by Husse »

The size limitations should be fixed in newer hard and software - unless perhaps if you try to put grub in a partition "very deep" into the disk
BUT
I see two /home partitions one with NTFS
This does not work - you can have lots of /home partitions but only one mounted as home and you can't use ntfs in Linux partitions

Return to “Beginner Questions”