disable screensaver/power saving (Solved)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jonass

disable screensaver/power saving (Solved)

Post by jonass »

I am using mint xfce 13 and every 10 minutes the video goes black, frustrating when watching video, i disabled the screensaver in the gui and set the power saving options to never and it still happened. So then i deleted the ,xscreensaver file and it still did it. any other options? it is an htpc so preferably i could disable all of these power saving options
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sagirfahmid3

Re: disable screensaver/power saving

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

This isn't the screensaver's issue. It is actually Xorg's default settings.
Add these lines in your xorg.conf (which is located in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and you must edit the file as superuser).

Code: Select all

Section "ServerFlags"
   Option "BlankTime"   "0"
   Option "StandbyTime" "0"
   Option "SuspendTime" "0"
   Option "OffTime"     "0"
   Option "DontZap" "false"
EndSection
jonass

Post by jonass »

I added the bit you gave me to the xorg.conf file and restarted the computer and it worked like a charm, thank you
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

No problem. Could you please change your title and add "Solved" to it? Thanks. (Easier for other people to find).
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

I also set screesaver and power settings to max time (2+ hours) :wink:
Can also run script to disable timeout and then a launcher (I do for a Launcher for Chromium going to 'clickertv') :wink:

J.Jay
jonass

Re: disable screensaver/power saving (Solved)

Post by jonass »

Just as an after thought, what exactly is the computer doing when it turns off every 10 minutes? And why isn't there just an option to turn off as opposed to adding that to the .conf file? Is this a bug?
sagirfahmid3

Re: disable screensaver/power saving (Solved)

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

The computer can be doing anything, it will continue to function as normal--if you left a download running in the background, it wont be interrupted, etc etc...
I don't know why there isn't an option to turn that off (these days), but, once upon a time when CRT monitors were prevalent, that technique would save your monitor from burn-in or etching from the electrons being fired at the same spot (by a stationary image) for a prolonged period of time. These days, with LCD and LED monitors making the majority and CRTs going extinct, there isn't any need at all for any kind of screensaver or auto-shut-off for the monitor (LCDs don't suffer from burn-in). So, in answer to your last question, no, it isn't a bug.

Return to “Xfce”