[solved] mintupdate no longer resides in the system tray

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
venom104

[solved] mintupdate no longer resides in the system tray

Post by venom104 »

I really like knowing that there are updates to my system. Anyway, a few weeks ago, I saw there were updates available for my system. I selected them all, and eventually the update program crashed. I had to run sudo dpkg reconfigure --a to get things working again...anyway it crashed again when I ran it, so I decided to use dist-upgrade and get the updates manually.

The problem that I had is that somehow mintupdate got uninstalled for some reason, and I had to reinstall it. Now it no longer resides in my system tray and I can't figure out how to get it back. RUNNING THE PROGRAM KEEPS IT IN THE SYSTEM TRAY UNTIL I REBOOT.

I tried setting it as a start up application, but as you all know, this didn't work because I had to elevate my user privileges every time it started. Also, it created another problem; whenever I logged out, my system would prompt me for my root password saying that I needed to okay the fact that I'm shutting my system down and another user was logged in.

How can I get mintupdate back to the system tray so it lets me know of updates again?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
venom104

Re: mintupdate no longer resides in the system tray

Post by venom104 »

Fixed it...

See randomizer's solution

http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=60482

Quick fixes like this make me proud to be a linux user!

Thread solved.

Return to “LMDE Archive”