root subdirectory under /root

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

root subdirectory under /root

Post by LindseyD. »

I tried to use mintconstructor but ran out of room on my root partition. I can't recall now how I got out of the procedure, but I did, cleaned up some space and have a working computer again.

However, the root partition is almost full, and in searching for what could be causing that, I found a root directory inside the root directory in /. That is, /root/root.

The root subdirectory contains all the directories that are also on /. That is, bin, etc, var et al. Also a root directory!

Oh boy, this is complicated. I've attached a screenshot.
borked_root1.png
Note the dates: the root subdirectory files are older, but the directory itself was created/modified on the day I tried mintconstructor, and is not identical to the "normal" one--file sizes are different, but that could be due to the fact I interrupted the mintconstructor thing midstream (constructus interruptus?) (sorry.couldn't resist)

FWIW, I'm on Mint9, but the iso I was trying to modify was Mint12. I think the 2011 dates refer to Mint12.

Anyway, is it safe to delete that root subdirectory? Is there some way of checking which are the vailid files?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint17 KDE
terdon

Re: root subdirectory under /root

Post by terdon »

As far as I know there is no reason to have a /root/root subdirectory. /root is just the home directory ($HOME) of the root user. It does not contain any system critical files. So yes, you should be able to delete /root/root with no problems.

Now, what were you doing with mintconstructor? From your question I am assuming that you are not a very experienced user. As far as I know mintconstructor is useful to make a mint iso :
Used by the dev team to automate all the tedious repetitive work (mksquashfs, mkisofs, chroot, etc..) while making a mint iso.
Are you sure it is what you wanted to use?
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

terdon wrote:As far as I know there is no reason to have a /root/root subdirectory. /root is just the home directory ($HOME) of the root user. It does not contain any system critical files. So yes, you should be able to delete /root/root with no problems.
That's what I was thinking, but deleting anything labelled root is not for the faint of heart, so I wanted to double check. Thanks.
terdon wrote: Now, what were you doing with mintconstructor? ...

Are you sure it is what you wanted to use?
Yes. I plan on installing Mint 13 KDE, but from the size of the iso (under 1G) I suspect there's not a lot of applications included. Since I only have a dialup account at home, I'd have to install applications to build into the iso at the library (free wireless), so I wanted to do a dry run first. I actually had enough room on my root partition for the iso, but had no idea it would expand the way it did--this without installing anything. So much in Linux sounds easy until you actually try it :oops:
Mint17 KDE
terdon

Post by terdon »

Fair enough. And that's a perfectly good reason to use mintconstructor :)

Sorry if I sounded patronising, I was just checking. Good luck with it!
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

terdon wrote:Sorry if I sounded patronising
You didn't, hope I didn't sound like I felt patronised :-)

I needed hand-holding, and you provided it, and for that I'm grateful. I've been on Linux for a few years now, but I'm not familiar with most "under the hood" stuff--I haven't had the need to know it.
Good luck with it!
I still don't know how much space I'd need, so I'll have to play it safe and abandon the idea. Have to install the hard way: one trip to the library to download the iso, then a second to install what I'll need by way of applications. Sigh!
Mint17 KDE

Return to “Other topics”