UPDATE PACK 5 FEEDBACK THREAD

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ptruchon
Level 1
Level 1

Re: UPDATE PACK 5 FEEDBACK THREAD

Post by ptruchon »

It took me a bit of time to report back, but there it is... By-the-way, if this post doesn't belongs in this thread, please feel free to move it somewhere else.

As I mentioned previously, the ATI drivers (fglrx-control and fglrx-driver) work with UP4's xserver-xorg-core 2:1.11.4-1 but not with UP5's 2:1.12 (See http://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary).

This is what I did to "solve" the problem...

NOTE: I figured this out by trial and error; I don't really understand why any of it works or doesn't so please feel free to offer explanations or alternate solutions.

First, I installed LMDE (UP4) with latest and updated all its packages.

Second, I installed and configured the ATI drivers. To simplify the process, I made the following script that I simply run from a Ctrl-Alt-F1 environment:

Code: Select all

# !/bin/sh

# Run script outside of DE: logout, Ctrl-Alt-F1

# Get root
[ "`whoami`" = root ] || exec sudo "$0"

# Install ATI drivers: **Adjust the kernel version first.**
aptitude update
aptitude -r install fglrx-control fglrx-driver linux-headers-3.2.0-2-all-amd64

# Stop graphic interface
invoke-rc.d mdm stop

# Stop current modules
modprobe -r radeon drm

# Create /etc/X11/xorg.conf
aticonfig --initial

# Start X windows
invoke-rc.d mdm start

# For more details, see:
# http://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary
The fan speed lowered right after the script finished running, and I didn't need to restart the computer.

Third, I replaced the repo sources to incoming and refreshed (NOT ready to update just yet).

Before updating, I excluded some packages to keep them back because they seem to conflict with fglrx-control and fglrx-driver. From the Update Manager, I added the following to Edit -> Preferences -> Ignored packages:

linux-headers*
linux-image*
virtualbox-guest*
xserver*
Note that the new kernel doesn't really "conflict" with fglrx-control and fglrx-driver but the drivers don't seem to work when I run my script (and yes, I changed the kernel version number in my script). So it looks like I'll be done upgrading my kernel with this older laptop.

Finally, I performed the update to UP5. (Make sure that it doesn't offer to remove fglrx-control or fglrx-driver)

Everything worked, but does anyone see an obvious (long term) problem with this scheme? Other than staying with the 3.2.0-2 kernel until the end of this laptop's life?
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

I have a problem upgrading mint-search-addon (v2011.08.15 --> v2012.05.11; I normally use aptitude instead of mintupdate, so the problem may be old?)

$ apt install mint-search-addon
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be upgraded:
  mint-search-addon
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/16.2 kB of archives.
After this operation, 18.4 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Retrieving bug reports... Done
Parsing Found/Fixed information... Done
(Reading database ... 275415 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace mint-search-addon 2011.08.15 (using .../mint-search-addon_2012.05.11_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement mint-search-addon ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/mint-search-addon_2012.05.11_all.deb (--unpack):
 unable to open '/usr/lib/firefox-addons/extensions/mint-search-enhancer@linuxmint.com/install.rdf.dpkg-new': No such file or directory
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/mint-search-addon_2012.05.11_all.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Dave W.

Post by Dave W. »

You are not alone mt. I'm also having the same problem. Seems like there were about 8 or so updates and this one is stuck.

Dave
Last edited by Dave W. on Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave W.

Post by Dave W. »

Okay, I kind of followed this:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=103237
Using webass's instructions and removing the package with synaptic and then reinstalling it. All seems alright. Try at your own risk. :)

Dave
fsimerey

Post by fsimerey »

Same problem for me.

Remove and reinstall mint-search-addon resolved it.
zen_monkey

Post by zen_monkey »

Well after running dist-upgrade a few times and seeign it install packages bunch at the time i got to this:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -V
[sudo] password for zen_monkey: 
Leyendo lista de paquetes... Hecho
Creando árbol de dependencias       
Leyendo la información de estado... Hecho
Calculando la actualización... Listo
Los siguientes paquetes se han retenido:
   python-pyatspi2 (2.3.4+dfsg-1 => 2.5.3+dfsg-1)
Se actualizarán los siguientes paquetes:
   gdm3 (3.0.4-4 => 3.4.1-2)
1 actualizados, 0 se instalarán, 0 para eliminar y 1 no actualizados.
459 no instalados del todo o eliminados.
Se necesita descargar 0 B/1494 kB de archivos.
Se liberarán 6144 B después de esta operación.
¿Desea continuar [S/n]? 
Preconfigurando paquetes ...
(Leyendo la base de datos ... 245213 ficheros o directorios instalados actualmente.)
Preparando para reemplazar gdm3 3.0.4-4 (usando .../gdm3_3.4.1-2_amd64.deb) ...
Obsolete conffile /etc/gdm3/greeter.gconf-defaults has been modified by you.
Saving as /etc/gdm3/greeter.gconf-defaults.dpkg-bak ...
Desempaquetando el reemplazo de gdm3 ...
dpkg: error al procesar /var/cache/apt/archives/gdm3_3.4.1-2_amd64.deb (--unpack):
 intentando sobreescribir `/usr/share/pixmaps/nobody.png', que está también en el paquete mdm 1.0.0
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess copiado was killed by signal (Tubería rota)
Reinstalling /etc/gdm3/greeter.gconf-defaults that was backupped
[ ok ] Scheduling reload of GNOME Display Manager configuration: gdm3.
Procesando disparadores para hicolor-icon-theme ...
Se encontraron errores al procesar:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/gdm3_3.4.1-2_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
I've been using mdm for some time and switched back to gdm after seeign this, not sure i'll change something.

gnome-screenshot same as roger64 said, the screen flashes like taking the shot but then nothing

** (gnome-screenshot:8313): WARNING **: Unable to use GNOME Shell's builtin screenshot interface, resorting to fallback X11. Error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.Shell was not provided by any .service files
when i used the Fn+prt (Fn+Ins) scr key i got "No se ha definido ningún comando 33" no command defined?

not sure what mint-search-apt is but running it on a console returns

mint-search-apt --help
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/mint-search-apt", line 60, in <module>
    description = result.split(' - ')[1].strip()
IndexError: list index out of range
ptruchon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ptruchon »

Also,

MATE + compiz still gives a high cpu usage.

For description and work around, see: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=190&t=99051
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

zen_monkey, for the gdm3/mdm conflict see here >> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... dm#p569926
zen_monkey

Post by zen_monkey »

@ZZ thanks on that, i was sure i've seen it somewhere and that post was it! so forcing it happend with no errors.

Now i have mint-artwork-debian python-pyatspi2 retained.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

python-pyatspi2 is here >> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 05#p612956 (in the end of the post)

mint-artwork-debian i didn't see that one: what is the output of

apt install mint-artwork-debian
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Please forgive me if it's already been answered but my brain is pretty fuzzy due to pain meds trying to knock down an especially bad list of pains today, but should I do anything before taking the updates to mint-search-addon and mint-mdm-themes? And am I seeing correctly that I can safely kill the mint-search-addon since I never use it? After Clem got me using DuckDuckGo it's become my primary search tool in any browser I can, including Opera Mini on my dumbphone.
appye
Level 2
Level 2

Post by appye »

yeah so, no one is bothered by the way mintupdate-debian just blinks out like that when it is done? It drives me nuts. It seems like it would be a simple thing to implement, and being that linux mint's target audience is the average end user (perhaps this is not the case with lmde?) I can't imagine that this is a good thing.
acgmohu

Post by acgmohu »

It can work.

lai-laptop $ inxi -FGxr
System:    Host lai-laptop Kernel 3.2.0-2-686-pae i686 (32 bit) Distro Linux Mint Xfce Edition
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i3 M 370 (-HT-MCP-) cache 3072 KB flags (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips 9575.3 
           Clock Speeds: (1) 933.00 MHz (2) 933.00 MHz (3) 933.00 MHz (4) 933.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller X.Org 1.12.1.902 Res: 1366x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer Mesa DRI Intel Ironlake Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 8.0.3 Direct Rendering Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio driver snd_hda_intel BusID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.24
Network:   Card-1 Atheros AR8152 v2.0 Fast Ethernet driver atl1c v: 1.0.1.0-NAPI at port 2000 BusID: 01:00.0
           Card-2 Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter driver ath9k BusID: 02:00.0
Disks:     HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (46.7% used) 1: /dev/sda TOSHIBA_MK3259GS 320.1GB 
Partition: ID:/ size: 40G used: 14G (37%) fs: rootfs ID:/ size: 40G used: 14G (37%) fs: ext4 
           ID:/boot size: 189M used: 42M (24%) fs: ext4 ID:/home size: 257G used: 140G (58%) fs: ext4 
           ID:swap-1 size: 1.86GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 35.0C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Repos:     Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list
           deb http://packages.linuxmint.com debian main upstream import incoming
           deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/incoming testing main contrib non-free
           deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/incoming/security testing/updates main contrib non-free
           deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/incoming/multimedia testing main non-free
Info:      Processes 144 Uptime 14 min Memory 359.0/1762.9MB Runlevel 2 Client Shell inxi 1.4.23 

It takes me a whole date -_- *

1596 upgraded, 286 newly installed, 23 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 3,105 MB of archives.
After this operation, 1,579 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Then....found some packages not installed (residual config) .....
ImageImage
2012-8-20:Found ,it lost the smbfs package.
Last edited by acgmohu on Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nullptr

Post by nullptr »

I would like to test portions of UP5, but only install packages that don't exist pre-UP5 (ie. wine, etc.). Is this possible? I've been reading about APT pinning, but I see that between the UP5 repos and the latest repos the only differences are 1) the path portion of the URL (latest vs. incoming - Releases file attribs are all the exact same). 2) use of 'incoming' component for 'linuxmint' origin packages. I've been failing greatly in my experiments. Anybody successfully done this and have a 'preferences' file to share? Is it possible? Thanks!

Here is my last (unsuccessful) attempt. It doesn't seem you can include a path in an 'origin' entry? Maybe if I change the order? (is it first match?)

Package: *
Pin: release o=linuxmint
Pin-Priority: 700

Pin: origin packages.linuxmint.com
Pin-Priority: 700

Pin: release o=Debian
Pin-Priority: 500

Pin: origin "debian.linuxmint.com/incoming"
Pin-Priority: 50

Pin: release c=incoming
Pin-Priority: 50
edorfaus

Post by edorfaus »

appye wrote:yeah so, no one is bothered by the way mintupdate-debian just blinks out like that when it is done? It drives me nuts. It seems like it would be a simple thing to implement, and being that linux mint's target audience is the average end user (perhaps this is not the case with lmde?) I can't imagine that this is a good thing.
I just wanted to chime in with an agreement here - it simply disappearing like that made me wonder if it had crashed, as that's usually what has happened when programs just disappear unexpectedly like that.
maxibuntu

Post by maxibuntu »

This was a really troublesome upgrade for me.

First, there was no indication anywhere about adding 'incoming' to the first apt line so I accidentally upgraded without it. Lots of stuff went wrong so I restored my partitions with System Rescue CD and fsarchiver.

The second time around I added 'incoming' to the apt line, as stated in the first post. But again lots of things went wrong, leaving my system in a barely usable state. I upgraded 1260 packages:

- I have kernel 686-pae installed, but the 486 kernel and a 686-pae upgrade were added during the upgrade. nvidia-kernel-486 was added and nvidia-kernel-686 removed so the upgraded 686-pae kernel had no nvidia module and thus I had no X with that particular kernel, I only had X with the 486 kernel and the old 686-pae kernel.

- The XFCE panel did not load so I had no XFCE anymore.

- Gnome3 had no shutdown option anymore, only the logout option.

- The GTK mint theme had white fonts (barely readable on light backgrounds).

- Conky positioning was off in Gnome3. It was correct in XFCE.

- Midnight Commander's mcedit can not save files, you have to specify a different filename every time.

- X constanly eats 30% CPU time, making the desktop very sluggish.

I have again restored my system with fsarchiver, and will try to upgrade packages one at a time the coming weeks. I have saved some logs of the upgrade, if needed.
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

I think there are some big dependency issues with the Xfce upgrade.

I almost did an upgrade test on a fresh LMDE Xfce installation. I installed a newly downloaded 32-bit 201204 Xfce ISO. Got it up and running nicely, did the few updates that were available in the UP4 repo and ran the system for two days to make sure everything was A-OK.

Had a slight problem with Nautilus opening when I clicked links from the Places plugin on the panel, and consequently resetting my desktop, so I removed Nautilus entirely. This was the only change I did beyond making personal settings.

OK, I like to do big upgrades like this from the command line so I logged out and dropped to a terminal. Logged in as root and made the required source changes, updated apt then ran dist-upgrade. I typed N to stop the upgrade so I could examine the situation. I knew it would be a big update, but over 1200 packages and 1+ GB to download? Imagine my surprise when I looked through the package list and saw that the GNOME Shell environment was going to be installed, and Nautilus along with it again.

I didn't want a whole other DE installed, I wanted an upgrade to Xfce. I never ran the update. I switch things around a lot, and tri-boot my machine now (with a little advice from GeneC, thanks!) so I'll just install something different on this partition. But I feel badly for the people who do use the Xfce spin of LMDE because they're getting a raw deal on this UP, IMO.
maxibuntu

Post by maxibuntu »

Upgrading apache2 gave an error when I tried to start apache2:

root@mybox:~# service apache2 start
Syntax error on line 11 of /etc/apache2/conf.d/custom:
Invalid command 'MinSpareServers', perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration
Action 'configtest' failed.
The Apache error log may have more information.
I suspect that apache-mpm-prefork was replaced by apache-mpm-worker. When I deinstalled worker and installed prefork, apache2 started normally.
Mutiny32

Post by Mutiny32 »

For the love of everything sacred, fix MDM being a royal PITA. Seriously. I can't even downgrade it now after I've installed GNOME-Shell because now it wants to uninstall gnome-core if I downgrade it to resolve the GDM3 conflict. This is an extreme roadblock in my eyes. This shouldn't have to have a band-aid wordaround; it literally blocks the installation of a TON of things.
rcrath

Post by rcrath »

I was in a hurry and did not pay attention when I did a dist-upgrade with the debian.org testing repository turned on in sources.list. apt-get upgrade went smoothly, so did the dist-upgrade. delete 780 packages? Yep, no problem....two hours later got dependency hell unborked, but the only shell remaining installed was Mate. Logged in there and cleaned up and reinstalled what I could, but the debian testing configuration created conflicting dependencies when I tried to install Cinnamon. After much poking around, I found the RC update pack 5, installed it, and it seems so far like everything is back to normal with my usual workspace restored. If I notice anything funky will report back.

Should I turn off debian testing and just wait for update packs?

Return to “LMDE Archive”