Give me some suggestions

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
scottjge
Level 4
Level 4

Give me some suggestions

Post by scottjge »

Hi all,

I have a Acer Aspire 3000, x86 Mobile AMD Sempron Processor, with 2 gig of ram and want to put linux on it. I am just wondering what version of Linux Mint would be the best choice,, gloria, helena, Katya, Julia, isadora.... etc. The computer will be mainly used for Internet browsing and email.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwwgateway

Re: Give me some suggestions

Post by cwwgateway »

I'd say Mint 13 (Maya) MATE or Xfce (or KDE if you like KDE). MATE will be most like Isadora, Julia, Katya, etc if you've used any of those before, but Xfce will be a bit lighter.
scottjge
Level 4
Level 4

Post by scottjge »

Thank you for your suggestions. I have been doing some research and was wondering what do you think of Linux Mint Debian ? Do I have enough resources to run Debian. Right now I have Win XP on it and it is rather sluggish. Yes I have used isabora, and katya. I have not used Maya though. Is it bloated with alot of things that I do not need is the question. I stopped using mint at the Katya release because my computer kept getting slower and slower with each release after Helena. On this computer that I am working on now has no where near the system that my other computers have.

Thanks again.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

scotthge wrote:Thank you for your suggestions. I have been doing some research and was wondering what do you think of Linux Mint Debian ? Do I have enough resources to run Debian. Right now I have Win XP on it and it is rather sluggish. Yes I have used isabora, and katya. I have not used Maya though. Is it bloated with alot of things that I do not need is the question. I stopped using mint at the Katya release because my computer kept getting slower and slower with each release after Helena. On this computer that I am working on now has no where near the system that my other computers have.

Thanks again.
Debian is faster than Ubuntu (because Ubuntu takes debian and adds lots of stuff to it), so you'd be fine running Debian. I wouldn't say Maya's bloated, but it does have stuff you don't need. If you are really concerned about speed, use LM Debian Xfce. The only problem with LMDE is that it is possible that it can break. With LMDE, there is a major "update pack" every few months. This update contains lots of new software. Sometimes this big update will go smoothly, but sometimes stuff can break. When this update comes along (and you'll know when - you'll have hundreds of updates coming in at once), it would be a good idea to check on the forums to see if there are any problems with the UP before updating. The next update pack will be update pack five, and my guess is it will come out in the late august/early september timeframe (but that's just a guess).
scottjge
Level 4
Level 4

Post by scottjge »

Thank you, I think I will try LM Debian. It has to be faster than Win XP
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

scotthge wrote:Thank you, I think I will try LM Debian. It has to be faster than Win XP
Yeah :)
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Go with Debian Squeeze netinstall + Xfce
scottjge
Level 4
Level 4

Post by scottjge »

I have downloaded and installed Linux mint Debian Xfce and installed it. I am doing the mint update with my fingers crossed. 1023 updates
We will see how things turn out.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

Ok, if there are any problems let us know (also, what is the name of the iso you downloaded?).
scottjge
Level 4
Level 4

Post by scottjge »

welll things aren't going all that well. I downloaded LMDE xfce and installed it but I have not got it to work as of yet. I get so many errors I can't even begin to count them. I have installed and re-installed the iso three times now. So I have decided that my iso that I burnt may be defective so I am downloading it again and burning a new DVD.

What should my repositories look like before I let it update ? I think that may be some of my problems also. Any advise or direction that you could help point me in would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks.

Scotty
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

LMDE is going to be trouble obviously, because its not using stable repositories. Imo, Debian Squeeze Xfce is best for your pc.
scottjge
Level 4
Level 4

Post by scottjge »

Yes I am coming to that conclusion also. If it dosn't work this time, I am going to can it.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

sagirfahmid3 wrote:LMDE is going to be trouble obviously, because its not using stable repositories. Imo, Debian Squeeze Xfce is best for your pc.
I agree IF he can get it installed (I never figured out debian's installer...).

@scotthge
What is the name of your ISO? The latest iso (201204) should have very few updates to do after installing, so I think you have the wrong ISO. Is this - http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=101 the link you used to download it from?
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Debian's installer is EASY to use. If you know basic partitioning (a / and a swap partition; using ext2/3/4 for the filesystem) it's a breeze.
http://www.debian.org/distrib/

^^Pick the "Download a small installation image" option
Did I mention they have a GUI installer option now?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Scotty,
i have to agree with cww,
if you have the right iso you should have now maximum a dozen updates (not more)

check again if the link matches.

sagirfahmid3,
we are still talking about lmde (for now :) )
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

@sagirfahmid3
The problem I had (which was half my own laziness) was that the debian squeeze installer doesn't support WPA/WPA2 wireless passwords, so you can't connect to the internet if you have either without using Ethernet. I was using a desktop at the time, and I would have had to move it 2 rooms over to get Ethernet. At that point I gave up and moved, interestingly enough, to linux mint (and then, later, to LMDE).
scottjge
Level 4
Level 4

Post by scottjge »

Yup, that is the link and the version. I come up with 1030 updates after installation and a lot of errors, That is what makes me think that the iso that I downloaded may be corrupt. I used the torrent download with Transmission. So who knows, something may have gone wrong. I will know shortly.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Scotty what is the output of

Code: Select all

inxi -Sr
scottjge
Level 4
Level 4

Post by scottjge »

I can't tell you right now zerozero, The computer is installing right now,
scottjge
Level 4
Level 4

Post by scottjge »

well that didn't take long. the new download won't even boot the computer. I get an error about b43-phy0 error and b43/ucode5.fw missing and also b43-open/ucode5.fw

It say that I need to go to a website and download the drivers and install them. How do I install a driver on a computer with no operating system ? :lol:

Return to “LMDE Archive”